Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2023, 10:15 AM   #1
Tinman

Default Grapple, Stun & Dodge

I've been trying to figure out the following questions about grapples.
I'm looking for the RAW answers. If you give non RAW answers, please be clear it's NOT RAW. Thanks in advance.

1) If grappler is stunned does it automatically brake the grapple?
2) If grappler Dodges does it automatically brake the grapple?
3) If grappler Retreats does it automatically brake the grapple?
4) If you are grappled by a sm-9 leaping leech on your eye,
do you have the -4 to DX for attacking it?
5) Or only if the leech is on your torso and/or arm?
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 11:06 AM   #2
Mr_Sandman

Default Re: Grapple, Stun & Dodge

1. It’s not explicit in RAW that stunning the grappler breaks a grapple, but by RAW stun does say “if you were holding anything, you drop it.” That’s good enough for me to say a grappler loses hold.

2. Dodge doesn’t automatically break a grapple.

3. Retreating does, unless the grappler is big/strong enough to bring the grapplee along.

4&5. For some reason, I can’t find in RAW where melee attacks are penalized by SM.
Old 08-02-2023, 11:38 AM   #3
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I've been trying to figure out the following questions about grapples.
I'm looking for the RAW answers. If you give non RAW answers, please be clear it's NOT RAW. Thanks in advance.

1) If grappler is stunned does it automatically brake the grapple?
2) If grappler Dodges does it automatically brake the grapple?
3) If grappler Retreats does it automatically brake the grapple?
4) If you are grappled by a sm-9 leaping leech on your eye,
do you have the -4 to DX for attacking it?
5) Or only if the leech is on your torso and/or arm?
1.) No, but he has -4 in any Quick Contest for you to Break Free. See sidebar on Basic pg 371: "If your foe is stunned, he rolls at -4; if he falls unconscious, you are automatically free!"

2. No.

3. Yes, unless the grappler has more than twice the ST of the victim.

4. Yes, except that it would have to grapple your head, not just your eye. Eye is not a valid grapple target.

5. Whenever you're grappled, period.

Edit: Mr. Sandman is correct. Apparently DFRPG (Exploits pg 41) works differently than GURPS when it comes to grappling and DX penalties. In DFRPG being grappled by the right arm not only prevents using your right arm but ALSO penalizes your attacks with your left arm. In GURPS (B370) the left arm is unaffected and the right arm is merely penalized by -4.

Last edited by sjmdw45; 08-02-2023 at 01:25 PM.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:25 PM   #4
Varyon

For 4 and 5, it depends on which rules you're using. For Grappling as presented in Basic Set and Martial Arts, yes, in both cases you're at -4 DX. ISTR a post where Kromm (or maybe someone else) suggested that if the grappled foe is strong enough the one grappling them would basically just count as encumbrance then the -4 to DX would be waived, but I don't think it's RAW. If using Technical Grappling (or the simplified - and largely superior - form of it, Fantastic Dungeon Grappling... although that last one's technically DFRPG rather than GURPS), the amount of Control the grappling foe needs to exert to reduce your DX is reliant on how strong you are, and seeing as how much Control they can establish is dependent on how strong they are, generally with such large mismatches the weaker foe isn't able to accomplish much of anything.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:58 PM   #5
Mr_Sandman

I missed the rule on stun from the Actions After Being Grappled box. So there is no automatic out for the grappler being stunned, just a + 4.

I misunderstood the questions about the leech. The -4 to DX only applies to the grappled body part. So no penalty for the eye/head by my reading of RAW. I agree that the RAW applying it in the case of an arm or torso grapple by a tiny opponent doesn’t make much sense.