Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
paladin15132

Default Training Packages?

I was wondering if anyone used training packages for a realistic game? Say a character is made and then goes off to training as a LEO for the feds, or the military for something. How do you folks handle this?
paladin15132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
aesir23

Default Re: Training Packages?

I ran a campaign where the PCs were recruited (cross-time) into I-SWAT and went through training. I wrote out the complete training schedule and determined how many points they'd get in what skills (with plenty of costumization opportunities.) The end result adjusted everyone's character sheets 50 points.

I could have done all of the math for Intensive training and done the hours-points exactly right, but I just waived my hands around instead.

This only worked because everyone was forced to take the same course and everyone got the same points. If a single player is going into training I'd make him spend earned points off-stage and give every other PC the same opportunity to train for a few weeks however they want.

Just in case anyone's interested, I'll post my notes about the I-SWAT training. The campaign ended prematurely through forces out of my control.

Last edited by aesir23; 08-25-2008 at 03:49 PM.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
aesir23

6- Month I-Swat training program (Takes place on uninhabited world Currahee 3):

Weeks 1-8 (Mon-Sat)

6:00 AM: Wake-up call.
6:05 AM: Morning March (up and down a mountain, 6 miles round trip.)
7:40 AM: Breakfast (recruits are expected to find time to shower between march and breakfast.
8:00 AM: Foreign Language I (Pick between Latin, German, English, English (compulsory if not already known at accented or better), Russian, Arabic, Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, Swahili, Spanish
10:00 AM: Cliodynamics and World Histories.
12:00 PM: Lunch
12:30 PM: Survival and First-Aid
2:30 PM: Combat Training (Guns (Rifle), Guns (Pistol), Guns (SMG), and IS-MAT*¹,)
4:30 PM: Foreign Language II (Any from above, or one of dozens more.)
6:30 PM: Dinner
7:00 PM: Rotating Lectures (Centrum, Reich V, Electronics Operation (Parachronics) and Mechanic (Conveyers), Myth Parallels and Magical Theory, etc…)
9:00 PM: Rec Time.
11:00 PM: Lights Out.

Sundays: 8 AM Obstacle Course. 9 PM Optional Movie.

Gained:
Skills
1 point in Expert Skill (Cliodynamics), 1 point each in two specialties of History (crisis points) and one other History specialty, 1 point in Survival Mountains, 1 point in any other Survival Specialty, 1 point in Navigation (land), 1 point in First-Aid, 1 point in Guns (Rifle), 1 point in Guns (Pistol), 1 point in Guns (SMG), 1 point in each of Brawling, Judo, Knife, and Spear, 1 point in any of the techniques offered by IS-MAT*.
Rotating Lectures grant no skills, just basic familiarity.

Advantages: Fit (if character already has fit, apply 5 points towards very fit or + 1 health), 2 point in each language studied, style familiarity (IS-MAT*).

25 points

Weeks 9&10
Dropped off on an uninhabited world with the following equipment:
Leatherman, Swiss Army Knife, Extra Pair of Fatigues, Vapor Canteen and Water Filter, 3 extra pairs socks and underwear, Blanket, Compass, Sextant, the Coordinates of the spot where you will be picked up in 14 days 0 Hours.

Gained: Earned Points to be spent in Survival or Navigation.

Week 11
Shore leave on the type O or P world of your choice.

Weeks 12-20

Monday: All day field exercises.

Tuesday-Thursday:
6:00 AM: Wake-up call.
6:05 AM: Morning Run (10 Miles)
7:40 AM: Breakfast
8:00 AM: Language I, continued.
10:00 AM: Cliodynamics and World Histories
12:00 PM: Lunch
1:00 PM: Language II, continued.
3:00 PM: Combat Training
5:00 PM: Obstacle Course
6:00 PM: Dinner
7:00 PM: Elective (Choose one of: Paraphysics, Alternate Physical Laws, Tactics, Cryptography, Conveyor Operation, Combat Medicine, or Foreign Language.
9:00 PM: Rec Time
11:00 PM: Lights Out.

Friday: War Games.

Saturday-Sunday: Time off.

Gained:
Skills
1 more point in Expert Skill (Cliodynamics), 1 point each in History (Crisis Points) and one other History specialty, 1 point each in Bow, Broadsword, and Sheild, 1 point in Anachronistic Training for Guns Pistol and Guns Rifle, 1 point in Guns (Musket), 1 point in each of Brawling, Judo, Knife, and Spear, 1 point in any of the techniques offered by IS-MAT*, 1 point in tactics.

Electives:
Paraphysics: 2 points in Physics (Optional specialty: Parachronic), 2 points in Mathematics (Applied), Electronics Operation (Scientific)
Alternate Natural Laws: 2 points in Occultism, 1 point in Alchemy, 1 point in Physics (Psionics), 1 point in Literature (optional specialty: Mythology)
Conveyor Operation: 2 Points in Electronics Operation (Conveyor), 2 points in Mechanic (Conveyor), 1 point in Mathematics (Applied)
Tactics: 3 additional points in Tactics, 2 points in Strategy.
Cryptography: 2 points in Cryptography, 1 point in Mathematics (Cryptology), 2 points in Intelligence Analysis.
Combat Medicine: 2 more points in First Aid, 1 point in Diagnosis, 2 points in Surgery.
Language: 4 points in any language (either raising a language from accented to Native, or a new language at Accented), 1 point in Linguistics.

Advantages: HT +1 or upgrade Fit to Very Fit, Any 1 Style Perk from IS-MAT*, 2 points in the Languages spoken.

35 Points

Weeks 21-24
Assigned to a veteran squad for a short mission (usually treated like dirt by the veterans.) This is called the Final Exam. The squad must vote unanimously that you should graduate, or you begin your 6 month training regimen over.

Gained: Earned points spent however you want.

Week 25 Graduation Weekend.

Friday: Graduation Ceremony.

Sat-Sunday: “Hunting Trip”
Graduating class is dropped off Friday night after the ceremony in the tropics of a Cretaceous era parallel with the following equipment: Swiss Army Knife, Survival Knife, Extremely Large Caliber High Powered Anti-Material Rifle, The Days worth of Rations, 300 oz of Beer, (or Ale, or Mead), 2 liters of Liquor, 1 bottle hot sauce or barbeque sauce, Canteen and Water Filter, 1 man tent, bed roll, one box of waterproof strike anywhere matches.
Picked up Monday Morning.

Gained: Earned points spent however you want.

Week 26
Monday: Report for Unit Assignment, unit usually consists of members of your graduating class with a veteran “advisor.”
Tuesday-Monday: Shore leave. (Traditionally spent drunk with your new unit, and concluding with matching tattoos.)

Gained: Patron (I-Swat, 9 or less, Equipment (no more than starting wealth), minimal intervention) +10, Duty (I-SWAT, 15 or Less, Extremely Hazardous) –20

Total points: 50

*Infinity Service Martial Arts Program (IS-MAP) 5
This Military style is designed to be brutal and effective. The ideal technique is to launch a strong and brutal attack incapacitating the opponent as quickly as possible. “Grab and Smash” tactics are very popular.
The knife and the spear are by far the most ubiquitous weapons throughout time, from the first sharpened stick to the modern day bayonet, every culture in the history of tool using humanity has included versions of these two weapons. Where they can’t be found, they can easily be made. Therefore every member of the I-Cops, I-Scouts, and I-SWAT are trained in the use of these versatile weapons. The same instant incapacitation strategy applies in the weapon techniques as in the unarmed. One very common strategy is to start with an All-Out Attack (Feint) with a thrust to the vitals, trying for an instant kill.
Skills: Spear, Brawling, Judo, Knife.
Techniques: Arm Lock (Judo), Knee Strike (Brawling), Elbow Strike (Brawling), Eye Gauging (Brawling), Eye Rake (Brawling), Choke Hold (Judo), Disarming (Judo), Feint (Knife), Feint (Spear), Head Butt (Brawling), Neck Snap (ST), Retain Weapon (Spear), Retain Weapon (Knife), Targeted Attack (Spear Thrust, Vitals), Targeted Attack (Knife Swing, Neck)
Perks: Technique Adaptation (Feint), Grip Mastery (Spear), Improvised Weapons (Spear), Improvised Weapon (Knife), Style Adaptation (Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, Muy Thai, or Brazilian Jujutsu), Technique Adaptation (Retain Weapon).

¹ It is possible to Test out of IS-MAT Training. All one need do is beat Sergeant Hernandez in a “no holds bared” bare knuckle fight, ending in submission or unconsciousness. If you test out, you one of three choices: serve as an assistant unarmed combat instructor for an additional $50 a week, pursue an approved course of independent study, or receive “advanced combat training” in more or less any martial art from any time and place (off-world if necessary).
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:27 AM   #4
Phoenix_Dragon

I've considered setting up mini-templates for a possible special-ops campaign. More like a base template, and a huge collection of lenses, with each lens representing a particular run of training, special roles, and possibly even past deployments. Would be a good way of quickly establishing a decent military history for their characters.

Plus, I could just mark certain lenses, and say that because of how the team is being assembled, X members have to have gotten whichever lens. Would ensure that the required skills were all filled in the team.

Unfortunately, I never went any further with it, so I have nothing done.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:37 AM   #5
Dangerious P. Cats

I always liked the idea of doing training packages as martial arts styles myself. I wrote two for a setting I've been working on whcih are on the forum somewhere.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

My current campaign uses a base template into which one plugs modules that represent a certain amount of training in an area. Here are my notes, for the curious. Note that I'm not seeking reviews – this works great for my campaign with my players and me at the helm! It might not work for every group.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Occupational Specialties (GM).doc (166.0 KB, 774 views)
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
jacobmuller

Sir,
You once again prove your preeminance - you've sold smaller books!
TQ
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post

You once again prove your preeminance
It's my birthday. Everybody gets a present. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post

you've sold smaller books!
Although most of those ones had editors. This one is basically rough notes cleaned up enough that I can avoid being mocked by my players.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
jacobmuller

Happy Birthday!
I'll no sing the song - breach of copyright and all that:)
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
My current campaign uses a base template into which one plugs modules that represent a certain amount of training in an area. Here are my notes, for the curious. Note that I'm not seeking reviews – this works great for my campaign with my players and me at the helm! It might not work for every group.
Wow!!! You made a great job in that file Kromm! It has A LOT of the things that I was trying to write for my para-military game. You saved me a lot of time. Thanks!!!
Mateus is offline   Reply With Quote