Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Old 05-16-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
RobKamm

Default I miss Pyramid

Okay. I’ll admit it. I miss the ritual of downloading the new issue every month (or week, or month before that) and devouring it. I know it won’t be coming back, but still. . .
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: I miss Pyramid

Me too.
So many short simple ideas that will not be seen.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #3
J. Edward Tremlett

Also a great place to make $$$
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #4
LokRobster

Makes me think I should have stayed subbed more often for 3, rather than picking and choosing my interests.. I subbed almost all of 2 (where did I store those files?), but yeah. It is missed.

I’m starting to think that Gaming Ballistic is dawning on becoming the New Pyramid, or at the very least least a refuge for some of our old favorites that haven’t locked upon a market segment of their own.

That’s a main reason I’ve already backed the current Four Perilous Tales offering for TFT (should i mention I haven’t bought TFT yet?), it’s fun to see momentum building. A huge reason I got it was seeing the familiar authors on board. There’s also a telling exchange on the DFRPG forums today where Dalin mentions missing Pyramid and was lamenting that perhaps this would have been the year where he would finally try his hand at writing for the mag... and shortly thereafter Doug posted that he “sent PM”.

So perhaps a place for new authors to try their skills?

The future is taking shape before us.

Last edited by LokRobster; 05-21-2019 at 08:59 PM. Reason: which is worse: autocorrect or my own spelling?
LokRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
rkbrown419

When the first edition of Pyramid started it was a general games magazine, replacing Roleplayer and Autoduel Quarterly. In addition to material for GURPS and Car Wars it contained articles for Ogre, Toon and reviews of all sorts of other games from tabletop to PC. Then it became a subscription website and from there it moved into being a GURPS only PDF magazine.
Now SJG is getting rid of Pyramid entirely and kick-starting both an Ogre specific and Fantasy Trip specific magazine. Maybe someday they'll come full circle and bring back Pyramid as a general gaming magazine again.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:33 AM   #6
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
When the first edition of Pyramid started it was a general games magazine, replacing Roleplayer and Autoduel Quarterly. In addition to material for GURPS and Car Wars it contained articles for Ogre, Toon and reviews of all sorts of other games from tabletop to PC. Then it became a subscription website and from there it moved into being a GURPS only PDF magazine.
Now SJG is getting rid of Pyramid entirely and kick-starting both an Ogre specific and Fantasy Trip specific magazine. Maybe someday they'll come full circle and bring back Pyramid as a general gaming magazine again.
I think that times have changed enough to make that non-viable; I'm not convinced that there are a lot of people who play GURPS and Ogre and TFT.

We saw with Pyramid volume 3 that even within the group of GURPS players there's some division; if you only play dungeon bashes, the sci-fi articles aren't any use to you. So that means either part of each issue is wasted, and you feel you aren't getting value for money; or you skip individual issues, which means you don't subscribe, so you may then forget to buy the ones you do want.

Why didn't this apply back in the day? Well, it did - all the general games magazines have folded or gone specific-game. And there are so many more games out there now, that unless you're specifically a fan of everything SJGames does – across all the people who've worked for the company – the chances that you play lots of them are fairly low.

In short, I miss Pyramid too, but there were still some issues that were complete duds for me.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
...that means either part of each issue is wasted, and you feel you aren't getting value for money; or you skip individual issues, which means you don't subscribe, so you may then forget to buy the ones you do want.

In short, I miss Pyramid too, but there were still some issues that were complete duds for me.
I have a few ideas here, but they'll likely have to wait until 2020 to see the light of day, and late 2019 to see serious work.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:17 AM   #8
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I have a few ideas here, but they'll likely have to wait until 2020 to see the light of day, and late 2019 to see serious work.
Colour me intrigued.