Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
Onkl

Default Accustomed to Pain [5]

Hi guys

While discussing a template for an Aspirant to a Warhammer 40000 Chapter OldSam suggested a new advantage to me, kind of a "half high pain threshold". So I created the following:

Accustomed to Pain [5]
Taboo Traits:Low Pain Threshold, Supernatural Durability, High Pain Threshold
You are as susceptible to injury as anyone else, but you don’t feel it as much. You only suffer half the normal shock penalty (round down) when you are injured. In addition, you get +1 on all HT rolls to avoid knockdown and stunning – and if you are tortured physically, you get +1 to resist. The GM may let you roll at Will+1 to ignore pain in other situations. Accustomed to Pain is included in High Pain Threshold; if you have the latter advantage, you cannot take this one.

What do you think? Is the price right? Should you get more boni? HPT got +3 to HT and resist rolls, so I'm a bit unsure... which of the two would you raise to +2?

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
gjc8

Default Re: Accustomed to Pain [5]

Seems alright to me.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
Hi guys

While discussing a template for an Aspirant to a Warhammer 40000 Chapter OldSam suggested a new advantage to me, kind of a "half high pain threshold". So I created the following:

Accustomed to Pain [5]
Taboo Traits:Low Pain Threshold, Supernatural Durability, High Pain Threshold
You are as susceptible to injury as anyone else, but you don’t feel it as much. You only suffer half the normal shock penalty (round down) when you are injured. In addition, you get +1 on all HT rolls to avoid knockdown and stunning – and if you are tortured physically, you get +1 to resist. The GM may let you roll at Will+1 to ignore pain in other situations. Accustomed to Pain is included in High Pain Threshold; if you have the latter advantage, you cannot take this one.

What do you think? Is the price right? Should you get more boni? HPT got +3 to HT and resist rolls, so I'm a bit unsure... which of the two would you raise to +2?

Cheers

Onkl
Well, in my opinion, High Pain Threshold is underpriced and a normal mortal shouldn't be able to completely ignore shock penalties--in my house rules the 10 point version only removes 1/2 of shock penalties. So my version of a 5 point HPT is significantly weaker.*

From the perspective of a campaign where HPT works normally, I think this looks fine. Personally, I'd give the +2 to resist torture and to the Will roll to ignore pain, and I may change my own house rules accordingly.

HTML Code:
High Pain Threshold 5/Level 
These rules replace the Advantage of the same name in Characters, which was a little too powerful for it's cost.

Level 1: You may subtract 1 from the damage you've taken to determine Shock penalties (Minimum 1, Maximum 4).  +1 to HT rolls to avoid knockdown and stunning, +1 to Will rolls to ignore pain in other circumstances.
Level 2: You suffer Shock penalties equal to ½ the damage done (maximum is still 4).  +3 to HT rolls to avoid knockdown and stunning, +3 Will to ignore pain in other settings.  This is the maximum level available in realistic campaigns. (Compare to the original advantage.)
Level 3: You suffer Shock penalties equal to ¼ the damage done (Maximum 2).  +5 to HT Rolls to avoid Knockdown and Stunning, +5 Will to ignore pain in other settings.
Level 4: You never suffer Shock penalties from injury. + 8 to HT Rolls to avoid Knockdown and Stunning, +8 to Will rolls to ignore pain in other settings.
Level 5: You are Immune to Pain.  You never suffer Shock Penalties from injury, and do not roll for Knockdown and Stunning.  Suitable for zombies, killer robots and horror movie psycho killers.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
Onkl

Thanks guys for your answers. I've decided to give it +2 to Will rolls. And for my campaign, the price is not of concern, since every PC got it.

Cheers!

Onkl
Old 09-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Just as a point of semantics, I don't think anyone gets "Accustomed to Pain." I'd call it "Move Through Pain."

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelen Bleux View Post
Just as a point of semantics, I don't think anyone gets "Accustomed to Pain." I'd call it "Move Through Pain."
Thanks a lot, stuff like that is very hard to get as non native speaker.

Cheers

Onkl

Tags
advantage, high pain threshold