Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
mechbear94

Default Star Munchkin Trader ability

The Trader class in star munchkin has the trader ability stating:Moderator edit: Please don't post card text, for legal reasons. You may paraphrase: A Trader allows you to take an Item off the top of the discard stack by discarding equal or greater value Item(s).

when used in conjuncture of the mind control gas it should allow for an almost infinite game. since it is a one shot if your opponent only fights one monster and you cause its defeat can you immediatly trade for it back?

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 01-22-2012 at 06:46 AM.
mechbear94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Star Munchkin Trader ability

I'm not sure how this goes for an infinite game, since you must discard Items of equal or greater value. You'll eventually run out of stuff, and can't guarantee that someone else might not bury the card you want with a non-Item Treasure card, like a GUAL.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Additionally, the CURRENT player decides what order to lay things on the discards, not the person who plays the card.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
mechbear94

I appreciate your posts. And I thought I added potential to infinite but thank you this should cause less arguments next time someones about to win and I stall them
mechbear94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Flemroid

Can this ability be used anytime except during your combat? Or not during any combat?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Brf

The card states "during combat". Since that is unqualified, it should mean during anyone's combat.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
Clipper

I disagree with Brf. In my experience, when something is said to not be done "during combat", it typically means as long as nobody involved is in combat. An example is equipping Items, where the rules say, "You may NOT change your used and carried items during a combat or while running away." We know from official rulings that people not involved in a combat can switch their Items around during someone else's combat, though.

The phrase "during any combat" would be used if it meant to block out its use entirely during all combats.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Flemroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
I disagree with Brf. In my experience, when something is said to not be done "during combat", it typically means as long as nobody involved is in combat. An example is equipping Items, where the rules say, "You may NOT change your used and carried items during a combat or while running away." We know from official rulings that people not involved in a combat can switch their Items around during someone else's combat, though.

The phrase "during any combat" would be used if it meant to block out its use entirely during all combats.
I hear you but I feel like I've seen things that say not during combat and it means any.. like thief stealing ability?
Old 08-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I admire Clipper's dedication to consistency, but I feel it's only fair to note that WE have not been consistent in our wording (and the older the set is, the more likely that the wording is a bit loose). In this case, the intent is that you cannot trade cards while anyone is in combat.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemroid View Post
I hear you but I feel like I've seen things that say not during combat and it means any.. like thief stealing ability?
But a Thief can steal from somebody during a third player's combat:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ
Q. Can a Thief steal from someone while neither he nor his victim is in combat, but someone else is?
A. Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I admire Clipper's dedication to consistency, but I feel it's only fair to note that WE have not been consistent in our wording (and the older the set is, the more likely that the wording is a bit loose). In this case, the intent is that you cannot trade cards while anyone is in combat.
Ack, well there's another exception to remember.

And unfortunately, I do need to ask... is there any way for us to figure out which ones of these abilities are meant to be blocked during any combat and which ones are meant to be blocked only if we are in a combat without asking about each one?

I mean, I guess the Bounty Hunter and Mutant (Star version) abilities would follow the same rule as Trader given they're from the same set. But there's a ton of cards with the "during combat" phrase and I've always seen it ruled like with Theft beforehand. Should we perhaps assume Star is the only odd set out? Or is it a blanket rule over abilities that mess with the discards perhaps?

Last edited by Clipper; 08-29-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote