Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
PK

Default Pyramid #3/102: Epic

Each glorious death
Is but one droplet of paint.
Now hand me that brush.
— Xi, General of the Gods
"Epic" doesn't just mean bigger or more powerful, it's about pushing the boundaries of what's possible and expanding the scope of the story. Epic heroes affect the lives of those around them, possibly even the world as a whole. And taking your game to that next level is the goal of Pyramid #3/102: Epic.
  • GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements gave your adventurers the ability to temporarily power up their weapons, but wouldn't it be nice if your artificers had access to Crafting Imbuements that let them do that, and more, only permanently? Christopher Rice introduces a new class of Imbuement Skills to expand what artisans and makers can do with their bespoke equipment.

• When your GURPS Dungeon Fantasy game has grown past the point of cave fights and skirmishes, it may be time that Dungeon Fantasy Goes to War. Matt Riggsby turns GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 15: Henchmen into a template for GURPS Mass Combat troops, including how to buy (e.g.) a barbarian horde as your own personal Ally group.

• It was bad enough being under the "protection" of the Greys, but now that they've lost custodianship of our planet to the Mantis, only the Men In Black can save us from The Harvest -- Invasion Earth. In this month's Eidetic Memory, David Pulver sets up this campaign, alongside racial templates for both species and GURPS Spaceships stats for six Earth, Grey, and Mantis ships.

• Many comic-book worlds are "kitchen sink," featuring supers with unique, unrelated origin stories. But Götterdämmerung's wide range of abilities derive from the intersection of four alternate histories, all now existing as "substrates" clashing just below reality. Only Bill Stoddard could blend GURPS Powers, GURPS Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Powers, GURPS Powers: The Weird, and even GURPS Horror: The Madness Dossier into a GURPS Supers campaign setting and have it make perfect sense.

• Some heroes devote their lives to an epic quest or noble cause . . . but some go further, having Many Lives, One Adventure. In this systemless article, J. Edward Tremlett looks at reincarnation as a campaign feature, something that opens up the possibility of adventurers who, despite being mortal, have been pursuing something important for centuries.

• And enjoy the epic tale of this month's Random Thought Table as it considers the importance of perspective when ramping a story up to monumental levels.

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-2702
Preview PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-2702_preview.pdf

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Pyramid #3/102: Epic

GAMERS! TONIGHT! WE DINE! IN AUSTIN!!!

It's a good'un. I was especially interested in Christopher's Craft Imbuement rules.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
Refplace

Lot of goodness here.
I like the Crafting Imbuements the most , though wish there had been a size changing one included.
Both settings are excellent and all the articles were at minimum inspirational.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

I've read through Crafting Imbuements, Dungeon Fantasy Goes to War, and Götterdämmerung so far, and this is definitely looking like a good issue!

I particularly liked Crafting Imbuements - I had actually had some ideas along these lines before, but Christopher has implemented practically everything I was thinking about, at least as good I could have.

I did have just a couple of questions about the system, though. First, the article is actually unclear about which skills the imbuement skills' specializations are based on. I assume from context that it's crafting skills (since things like (Melee Weapons) and (Missile Weapons) are Armoury specializations), but it's not spelled out anywhere I could see, and I think that could be clarified.

Second, how would you add a destiny or purpose to an object? Say you wanted to make a sword that had the mystical purpose of "Slay the Ogre of Red Wood". Would that just be the Infuse Gear skill, with advantages like Higher Purpose or Destiny? Or is Infuse Gear supposed to be about adding advantages to the item's "character sheet", and adding traits to the user of the item would be better handled with another skill?
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I did have just a couple of questions about the system, though. First, the article is actually unclear about which skills the imbuement skills' specializations are based on. I assume from context that it's crafting skills (since things like (Melee Weapons) and (Missile Weapons) are Armoury specializations), but it's not spelled out anywhere I could see, and I think that could be clarified.
That's discussed in "Crafting Imbuement Specialties" on p. 7. I'd suggest rereading that section carefully, after which if anything is still unclear about it, please ask!

Quote:
Second, how would you add a destiny or purpose to an object? Say you wanted to make a sword that had the mystical purpose of "Slay the Ogre of Red Wood". Would that just be the Infuse Gear skill, with advantages like Higher Purpose or Destiny? Or is Infuse Gear supposed to be about adding advantages to the item's "character sheet", and adding traits to the user of the item would be better handled with another skill?
I don't think that the user/wielder is involved at all here; it's the item's Destiny, not theirs. So I'd just add this via Infuse Gear.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements gave your adventurers the ability to temporarily power up their weapons, but wouldn't it be nice if your artificers had access to Crafting Imbuements that let them do that, and more, only permanently? Christopher Rice introduces a new class of Imbuement Skills to expand what artisans and makers can do with their bespoke equipment.
Heh. I'm just glad it's done. This one has been a long time in the oven.

Quote:
And enjoy the epic tale of this month's Random Thought Table as it considers the importance of perspective when ramping a story up to monumental levels.
This is going to sound like a dig at Steven so I just want to preface that it is not. Sometimes, Steven just nails the subject so hard he goes right through the interior wall, through the stud, and right on to the exterior wall to outside. This was amazingly useful. An excellent read and incredibly insightful.

This is the only one I've had a chance to read so far (other things on my plate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
GAMERS! TONIGHT! WE DINE! IN AUSTIN!!!

It's a good'un. I was especially interested in Christopher's Craft Imbuement rules.
Thanks! I hope its useful to folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Lot of goodness here.
I like the Crafting Imbuements the most , though wish there had been a size changing one included.
Thanks! Check out the designer's notes (at the bottom of this post) it's got something like this.

Quote:
I particularly liked Crafting Imbuements - I had actually had some ideas along these lines before, but Christopher has implemented practically everything I was thinking about, at least as good I could have.
Thanks! That's high-praise coming from the guy who started the whole "What else can imbuements do?" theme.

Quote:
Quote:
That's discussed in "Crafting Imbuement Specialties" on p. 7. I'd suggest rereading that section carefully, after which if anything is still unclear about it, please ask!
Yup. Basically, all the specialties for the listed skills are imbuement specialties.

Quote:
Quote:
don't think that the user/wielder is involved at all here; it's the item's Destiny, not theirs. So I'd just add this via Infuse Gear.
Yup. Infuse Gear is the go-to. I'd allow up to 4 levels and use the rules for narrow and broad scope from Pyramid #3/66 Laws of Magic (p. 16) depending on its destiny.

I also have some Designer's Notes up on my blog.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:47 PM   #7
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
That's discussed in "Crafting Imbuement Specialties" on p. 7.
Ah, so it is. Somehow, my eyes just glazed over that. Thanks for setting me straight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK
I don't think that the user/wielder is involved at all here; it's the item's Destiny, not theirs. So I'd just add this via Infuse Gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Yup. Infuse Gear is the go-to. I'd allow up to 4 levels and use the rules for narrow and broad scope from Pyramid #3/66 Laws of Magic (p. 16) depending on its destiny.
Yeah, it being the item's destiny basically makes sense, as long as the item is actually being used to do whatever its designated task is. I'd look a bit more questionably on something like a piece of jewelery that just passively granted a character a destiny-type advantage, but I suppose that's really beyond the scope of these rules anyway, being more of an actual enchantment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer
Thanks! That's high-praise coming from the guy who started the whole "What else can imbuements do?" theme.
Heh. I'm flattered, but definitely don't sell yourself short. :-) At this point, you've done more than me for the system, arguably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer
I also have some Designer's Notes up on my blog.
Nifty! I particularly like Restricted Gear - it's another useful thing for creating "weapons of destiny".

Another question about the Crafting Imbuements - I'm looking at Blessed (Inspired Crafter), and I really like what I see. One thing occurs to me, however. I can easily see settings where this trait would be appropriate without any divinity backing it up (Tolkien, for example, has lots of characters who could justify a few levels of this). However, Blessed normally has a pact limitation built in. Do you think it would be reasonable to just have a +10% enhancement, "not supported by divine forces", to waive that requirement?
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:03 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Yeah, it being the item's destiny basically makes sense, as long as the item is actually being used to do whatever its designated task is. I'd look a bit more questionably on something like a piece of jewelery that just passively granted a character a destiny-type advantage, but I suppose that's really beyond the scope of these rules anyway, being more of an actual enchantment.
Yeah, that's a bit far afield for what I had in mind.

Quote:
Heh. I'm flattered, but definitely don't sell yourself short. :-) At this point, you've done more than me for the system, arguably.
I get by.

Quote:
Nifty! I particularly like Restricted Gear - it's another useful thing for creating "weapons of destiny".
Ya.

Quote:
Another question about the Crafting Imbuements - I'm looking at Blessed (Inspired Crafter), and I really like what I see. One thing occurs to me, however. I can easily see settings where this trait would be appropriate without any divinity backing it up (Tolkien, for example, has lots of characters who could justify a few levels of this). However, Blessed normally has a pact limitation built in. Do you think it would be reasonable to just have a +10% enhancement, "not supported by divine forces", to waive that requirement?
I'd just use the cost as is as long as it has a prerequisite like it can only be had by a specific race or has another power modifier on it.

Become a Patron!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #9
J. Edward Tremlett

this all looks like a lot of fun.

But let's be honest -- am I the only one who has that song going through my head when I read it?
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Edward Tremlett View Post
this all looks like a lot of fun.

But let's be honest -- am I the only one who has that song going through my head when I read it?
No, but alas I have no more Faith.

Become a Patron!

Tags
gurps, pyramid, pyramid 3/102