Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Red613

Default Can more than 6 play with expansions?

As the title says, we are a group of 7 and we want to be able to play all together, we have "Super Munchkin" and "Munchkin Cthulhu".

Can we do that? Also, can you bring powers from "Super Munchkin" from your hand to play during combat?

Thanks in Advance and sorry if my questions are too stupid or if I misspelled something Im not native english speaker.
Red613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: Can more than 6 play with expansions?

The reason not to go over 6 players isn't lack of cards, so more cards don't really help. The problem is, going over 6 players can make the game really DRAG. Not only because you have to wait through 6 or more other players between each of your turns, but because with that many people, it becomes really hard to get the winning level, since so MANY people are trying to stop you.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Having said that, seven players is USUALLY all right if you're using a large enough pile of cards -- two core sets should be fine. With eight or more, IMO you're better off splitting into two games.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
Clipper

The limit on players is more based around getting the game to a winnable situation rather than number of cards. With 6 people against you, it is going to be very difficult to get that 10th level. You might want to institute the optional rule that allows any helper in the final combat to win the game as well.

As for Powers, the Rules, in the When to Play Card section on Classes and Powers say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Munchkin Rules
These cards may be played to the table as soon as they are acquired, or at any time during your own turn.
So yes, you can play them during combat, provided you can legally use that Power as the rules state elsewhere that you cannot play Powers you are not allowed to use.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Red613

Thank you very much for the answers.
Now that I think of it you it makes perfect sense and we should split in 2 games, sorry about the question of something that is in the rules but I dont have them with me and Im kinda stressed about the game since as I said Im not native english speaker and in my group of friends Im the only one that is able to kinda understand the rules... but Magic: The Gathering and "stack" experience sometimes "stun" me more than they help me.

Sorry to ask more but only you can help me and meka them trust me trough Google translate. xD

Cards like: Belt of Utility, Cthulhu Bumper Sticker, brass knucks, Wishing ring, Insane Obsession, Ichors, etc... Are considered items?
I keep arguing with my friends about this, I say they are just because THEY ARE items and tangible objects, but they dont trust me and say that in that style, "insane obsession" card is the exception since is not something you can trade or grab hold of, hence that kind of cards are neither items or powers.
But only "insane obsession" falls in that train of thought.
So far we have played so the thief or the Traps wont affect them but I think is wrong.

Another One, with the card "Whimpy Thugs". If i use it so they join the combat with a level 6 monster they win the +5 modifier since they are helping a higher level monster, but my friend Played -5 on the level 6 monster, so they said that the Thugs lost the +5 cause: "the moster lost 5 and from were you can sustract the 5 if not the moster level", I said no cause its a modifier to the intensity to the monster attack not the monsters level.

Again, thank you very much for the previous answers and for helping me, sorry if Im difficult to understand with my bad engrish.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Clipper

Items are anything that has a listed Gold Piece value (including "No Value").

You are correct on the example you provided. Unless you are playing with an older set of Munchkin (printed before the 2010 rule change), Monster Enhancers (even the negative ones like Baby) do not change the level of the monster they are played on. They change its combat strength. Thus, the extra +5 sounds like it would stay in effect as the other monster is now a level 6 monster with a -5 penalty (so a combat strength of +1).
Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Red613

Again, Thank you all kind gentlemen and mesdames.
Im in debt to you all for making this wonderful game even more ejoyable.
Ever so Grateful, your's truly, Red613.