Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 11-29-2016, 06:48 AM   #1
Makian

Default Combat Phases?

So what does a normal combat phase look like?

When playing a game the other night I went looking for trouble and played a monster I could kill to win the game. Then my friends buffed the monster up so I couldn't kill it, gave it a plus 2 or 3. So then I played 'help me out here' to take an item from another player to let me have enough to kill it. Then they buffed it up again and I ended up having to run away. Is this correct? Is that the normal flow of combat?

Their argument was the "window to interfere" basically resets every time you are able to kill a monster. To me that seemed a bit off because then it becomes a game of 'who has the most cards'.

Last edited by Makian; 11-29-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Makian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:24 AM   #2
Brf

Default Re: Combat Phases?

Yes you are playing correct. Anytime a card is played, there is reasonable time for other players to respond to it.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #3
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Combat Phases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makian View Post
Their argument was the "window to interfere" basically resets every time you are able to kill a monster. To me that seemed a bit off because then it becomes a game of 'who has the most cards'.
That's the whole point of the game (and part of the fun); nothing is guaranteed. It's not uncommon to play a level 1 monster expecting an easy kill, only to have it turn into a level 16 something-or-other with another level 20 monster added with a wandering monster.

By the same token, you can start out as a level 5, play 4 Go Up a Level cards from your hand at once to get to level 9, then play that same level 1 monster and win if nobody can stop you. It's not who has the most cards, it's who uses what they have the most efficiently (Munchkinly).