Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
RussellChamp

Default Re: Explaining the 1 second/turn rationale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
That... that wouldn't work. At all.
I think I misspoke earlier. Please see my comment above. If this still isn't possible with RAW, could you explain why not?
RussellChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellChamp View Post
However, as a new GM, I will most likely prohibit the taking of Extra Attack for our starting out PCs since there are several other ways to get in extra attacks per turn (Eg. AOA, Rapid Strike, some Gun Fu rules we'll be using). Hopefully that will make it easier for me to balance encounters.
Extra Attack 1 is at least borderline cinematic. Anything more than that is definitely cinematic. High-flying results are to be expected there.

Of course, if the players have enough CP to budget that easily, they could also afford to raise skill a bit, and probably could pull off Dual Weapon Attacks if so inclined.

How much armor were you giving the enemies? Mincing people up with dual one-handed weapons can lose a lot of shine against enemies in proper armor. Unless your PCs are also very strong, of course.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
Lonewulf

Quote:
Ah... I think I miscommunicated a bit here... a turn may go this way.
Start -> (wielding a weapon they don't want like a bow) -> drop weapon -> quick draw first 1-hand weapon -> quick draw second 1-hand weapon -> attack once -> attack twice (using Extra Attack 1) -> End
Ah. There's a perk for allowing you to draw two weapons at once. Otherwise, I don't think it's legal to fast draw more than once in a turn.
She'll bring in a murderous prize
~Blind Guardian

My Writing.com
Lonewulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
Brandy

Quote:
EDIT: Most of the players in our current campaign have Quick Draw for everything in their arsenal in addition to Extra Attack. This has allowed several players to drop their current weapon, draw new ones, and attack multiple times in one turn.
As described, they can do this.

Drop Weapon(s) (Free) -> Fast Draw (Free if successful) -> Fast Draw (Free if successful) - > Attack -> Extra Attack.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
Walrus

Quote:
Start -> (wielding a weapon they don't want like a bow) -> drop weapon -> quick draw first 1-hand weapon -> quick draw second 1-hand weapon -> attack once -> attack twice (using Extra Attack 1) -> End
This is entirely possible even without Extra Attack, just with Dual Weapon Attack.
The only abusing over RAW is
Fast-Drawing -> Attack -> Drop current weapon -> Fast-Drawing -> Extra Attack (with the same hand).
By RAW you don't need Multi-Strike for such attack but by RAI you do.

Though you would suffer the penalties to both Fast Draws (see MA for details) as well as penalty for Fast Drawing with non-main hand.

Don't forget the penalties for Dual Weapon Attack.

So, you only can achieve hit with a lot of points and cinematic traits/skills levels (Extra Attack is nearly cinematic as MA suggests).
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #16
Brandy

Quote:
Ah. There's a perk for allowing you to draw two weapons at once. Otherwise, I don't think it's legal to fast draw more than once in a turn.
Not the case. The Dual Ready perk allows you to ready two weapons at once, but it says it is largely redundant with Fast Draw. The main application of the perk is allowing you to ready two weapons that can't be fast drawn with a single action. (The example given with the perk is Axe and Pick.)
Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #17
trooper6

Quote:
EDIT: Most of the players in our current campaign have Quick Draw for everything in their arsenal in addition to Extra Attack. This has allowed several players to drop their current weapon, draw new ones, and attack multiple times in one turn.
Sounds like you are running a cinematic, combat focused, high-powered game. Then you shouldn't be surprised you get results like that.

There are different ways to use the toolkit where you'd end up having very different experiences. I tend to run games with a huge emphasis on non-combat skills. For example, every PC is going to have to spend 1cp on Area Knowledge (Home Town)...then I ask them what sort of trade/job skills they learned growing up...or what skills do they use to make money. Then I ask about hobbies. Then I ask about...

Basically, with starting cp of 150, a lack of cinematic advantages, and an emphasis on well rounded PCs...I have rarely had PCs take Extra Attack and Quick Draw for everything...because they just didn't have the points for it.

So, in some GURPS games you'll have people fast-drawing and attacking three times. But in others people will have to Evaluate every couple of seconds just to be able to connect their fist to the opponent's jaw.

If you don't want such a cinematic feel, adjust which options are available to your PCs.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #18
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Though you would suffer the penalties to both Fast Draws (see MA for details) as well as penalty for Fast Drawing with non-main hand.
Yeah, I had forgotten that. The rule in Martial Arts (if it is being used) is -2 for attempting a second free action with the same hand. So, if dropping a two-hander (like a bow), you would fast-draw at -2 for the main hand and -6 for the off hand.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #19
vierasmarius

Quote:
I think there's a perk to let you Fast Draw two weapons with a single roll, but you can also perform multiple Fast Draws each round (MA pg.103) - one per hand (with the normal off-hand penalty of -4), and -2 per additional attempt with a given hand. This lets you (for example) draw two swords at once, or draw and throw a javelin, then draw a melee weapon with the same hand.

EDIT: Ninja'd >_<
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #20
Lonewulf

Okay, okay, guys. Sheesh. =p

Well, I learned something. Just goes to show, it's hard to remember everything about GURPS!
She'll bring in a murderous prize
~Blind Guardian

My Writing.com
Lonewulf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta game, round, rounds, rules clarification, rules question