Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #21
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Limitations on super luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
The reason I went with "can not say 3 or 4" was to remove the ability to get critical successes on unlikely rolls.
Do you want this ability usable on non-skill rolls? Like say Damage, Influence Checks, Death Rolls, Consciousness Rolls, Recovery Rolls, Healing Rolls, Crit Charts, Other Charts, Passive Sense Rolls...

Or only on Skills 15+?

Or do you just want to limit it from being used on Skills <15? But other non-Skill checks are fine to go crazy on?

That last one isn't very limiting at all... I'd be happy as a Player with 5-10% limitation on that last one.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #22
Dingle

The use case I'm intending to remove is the ability to use super luck to get a critical success AND deal with heavy penalties from modifiers on the same roll.
eg. no critical hits on called shots to the skull, critical hits on driving rolls in a blizzard against oncoming traffic.

Ideally, I'd like to allow super luck to be able to give a critical success OR deal with heavy penalties from modifiers.
e.g. critical hit to the torso, regular hit to the skull with a single level of deceptive attack, critical success on a driving roll for a car chase on an empty motorway, regular success on a skill you don't have defaulting from an attribute.

This limitation obviously affects only skill (or death, consciousness, bleeding, possibly influence...) checks, and therefore will depend on how much of a limitation not allowing those rolls at all would be.

In order to make the limitation more consistent across all rolls, changing it to something like "nothing with less than 5% chance of occuring" "middle 90% probability only" or "no more than 2 standard deviations from the mean" would allow it to be extended to reasonably limit damage rolls.
As far as I can tell, this method would still leave rolls on various charts unaffected.
Dingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #23
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
The use case I'm intending to remove is the ability to use super luck to get a critical success AND deal with heavy penalties from modifiers on the same roll.
eg. no critical hits on called shots to the skull, critical hits on driving rolls in a blizzard against oncoming traffic.
Unless their skill is high enough right?

Quote:
Ideally, I'd like to allow super luck to be able to give a critical success OR deal with heavy penalties from modifiers.
Then make that the limit:
Skill Checks Only Roll 5, -5%

Since you aren't stopping someone from making a Hail Mary skill roll (needing a 5) but are stopping Crits on the Hail Marys (Chosing a 3) and you aren't stopping hail Mary Death Checks, or "I'm using it on my Influence Check tp get an 18" or whatever else.

Note this also covers GM rolled Passive Skill checks.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rule, limitations, rules question, super luck