Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #41
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy(DF) and regular GURPS 4/e questions (Yrth too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

Why would you need two magic systems?
No idea. I used just one. The difference wasn't "new magic vs. old magic"; the difference was "seriously mature, millennia-old magic vs. rediscovered, a-few-years-old magic." The mages in the previous age knew all the spells, all the methods and tricks for using them, and all the exploits, and were so numerous that they could rally enough power to bother the gods. The tiny handful of emergent mages in the campaign knew mere snippets of that knowledge that were gathered haphazardly from mostly destroyed writings. But they used the same magic system (which was kind-of, sort-of Path/Book).

I'd compare it to mature 2017 tech vs. post-apocalypse Mad Max clones using whatever tech they can rebuild from junk: same tech, but nowhere near as many options or as much availability.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:55 PM   #42
scc

Quote:
Why would you need two magic systems? "We can't make it anymore" can be simply due to "nobody knows how" (lost craft secrets that haven't been reinvented yet) or "There just isn't enough mana/divine intervention/virgin wyvern testicles any more".
We're only finally reinventing the full Roman marine concrete recipe, and it's not like the chemistry of concrete has changed in the two-thousand-odd years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
No idea. I used just one. The difference wasn't "new magic vs. old magic"; the difference was "seriously mature, millennia-old magic vs. rediscovered, a-few-years-old magic." The mages in the previous age knew all the spells, all the methods and tricks for using them, and all the exploits, and were so numerous that they could rally enough power to bother the gods. The tiny handful of emergent mages in the campaign knew mere snippets of that knowledge that were gathered haphazardly from mostly destroyed writings. But they used the same magic system (which was kind-of, sort-of Path/Book).

I'd compare it to mature 2017 tech vs. post-apocalypse Mad Max clones using whatever tech they can rebuild from junk: same tech, but nowhere near as many options or as much availability.
Because if you don't the Second Age of Magic either ends up as a minor footnote, the magic that PC have regular access to is very low, or items brought up out of dungeons are massively over powered.

Quote:
Nope. They did World Of Darkness, Castle Falkenstein, and Deadlands though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Could scc be thinking of 3E GURPS New Sun?
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/newsun/
Nah, my memory itch is saying Forgotten Realms or maybe Dragonlance.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #43
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Nah, my memory itch is saying Forgotten Realms or maybe Dragonlance.
Then you're definitely wrong. You may have seen some elaborate fan site but those IP are WOTC only.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:26 AM   #44
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post

Because if you don't the Second Age of Magic either ends up as a minor footnote, the magic that PC have regular access to is very low, or items brought up out of dungeons are massively over powered.
The PCs had access to minimal magic, exactly as I intended. Items brought up out of dungeons were powerful enough mostly to overshadow the magic the PCs could work, which was also as intended. The items weren't overpowered, though . . . there were foes sufficiently powerful to challenge the PCs and then some.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #45
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Yrth isn't a hack 'n' slash world. It has a lot of social structure and civilization, whereas the implicit assumption of the DFRPG is that the world is largely a hostile and dangerous place outside of towns. Also, you'll find clerics and druids hard to fit into Yrth's assumptions about religion.
Actually that varies depending on when and when the campaign is set in. The period right after June 26th, 1050 CE (the date the Banestorm was cast) was filled with confusion and danger.

I should point out the Blessed advantage exists on Yrth. The Mystic (pg 212) and Priest-Wizard (pg 214) "classes" (professions) are two such examples. This means that there is something "giving" out the equivalent of Magery. This is supported by the fact (revealed in 3e Yrth) that more people know spells then have magery proper even in low mana areas.

A lot is made of the realism of Yrth but even in the c1000 to c1200 when most of the humans were brought to the world Christianity was already fragmented thanks to isolation and the Great Schism that became Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox. Heck even in the 2nd century Christianity was fragmented and what little efforts in standardization attempted fell apart with Rome in the 5th century. That anything even remotely like 15th century Christianity exists on Yrth is one of those perhaps there it more here then at first appears hooks for adventures.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, worldbuilding