Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 03-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
FireHorse

Default The Octomantis

I was trying to imagine combinations of any two nasty creatures that I wouldn't want to run into, rolled into one. This one struck me as worthy of a sketch…

The Octomantis < Click for Image

(Would anybody like to propose stats for this beastie?)

The Octomantis is a vicious aquatic predator, the only survivor from an otherwise extinct branch of animal somewhere between cephalopod and arthropod.

Although it resembles an octopus, the Octomantis is not soft-bodied. Its head is protected a partial exoskeleton of spiky, segmented chitinous plates, much like those of a crab or lobster. It has six rubbery tentacles below its head, but its two foremost limbs are also armored in chitin — and those legs scissor together like those of a mantis, piercing and immoblizing prey on rows of needle-like (and poisoned) spines.

They are also surprisingly intelligent. Their shells and skin are able to rapidly change colors and patterns at will, allowing it blend in with their surroundings.

Octomantises are ambush hunters, who lurk among the coastal reefs, feeding on nearly anything that comes within reach. Since a full-grown adult can be as much as 7-9 feet long (from beak to tip of head shell), they can handle even very large prey.

And unfortunately, sometimes the Octomantis hunts people, too. It has been known to brazenly climb aboard boats or smaller ships, dragging fishermen and sailors down to their deaths — and when hungry they will even venture into the shallows of beaches, hoping to snatch unwary swimmers.

An Octomantis will not voluntarily leave the safety of the water, but they are capable of surviving in air for a limited time (10-15 minutes, at most).

Last edited by FireHorse; 03-09-2019 at 02:34 AM.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:43 AM   #2
JLV

Default Re: The Octomantis

Looks a lot like Cthulhu's head...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
FireHorse

Yes, it's amazing how much an Octopus head looks like Cthulhu's head. Almost as if one of them was deliberately designed to resemble the other…
Old 03-13-2019, 01:35 AM   #4
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
Yes, it's amazing how much an Octopus head looks like Cthulhu's head. Almost as if one of them was deliberately designed to resemble the other…
My, you're on quite the snark roll today, aren't you?
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
FireHorse

No particular snark was intended. I was genuinely amused by the odd Chicken & Egg Conundrum underlying your comparison.

My apologies for calling attention to the 4th Wall.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
mark hill

nice pic!

presuming its about the weight of a man, 1 hex kinda

ST 15 (35 if its some huge 3 hex M.F.)
DX 13 in water 9 on land
IQ maybe 8 .. no idea is it smart?
it would certainly be a genius if it was in a superhero comic, can probably cast Control Person

MA 16 underwater/ 4 on land maybe
2+2 claws, 3d6 in HTH (more if huge)
5 hits of DR

theres my wild unsubstantiated guess

Last edited by mark hill; 04-04-2019 at 01:48 PM.
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote