Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 10-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Kauboi

Default Race/Class Hireling Question

I guess it never occurred to me that Hirelings can hold items specific to their race and gender. In each case, is this implied? In other words, if I have a hireling whose title is Elven Hireling, he (she) can hold an item specific to an Elf. However, the rules then imply that if a Hireling is a particular (perceived) gender, that Hireling can hold an item specific to that gender (Need for Steed rules). Does this perceived implication work for class as well (the Hireling looks like a thief)?

I apologize, I dug through the first 60 search items on Hirelings and did not see this addressed there. If it is archived somewhere I had not found it.

"Now I don't wanna kill you, and you don't wanna be dead."
- Silverado.
Kauboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Hireling Question

No, because there is already a Thief Hireling.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauboi View Post
I guess it never occurred to me that Hirelings can hold items specific to their race and gender. In each case, is this implied? In other words, if I have a hireling whose title is Elven Hireling, he (she) can hold an item specific to an Elf. However, the rules then imply that if a Hireling is a particular (perceived) gender, that Hireling can hold an item specific to that gender (Need for Steed rules). Does this perceived implication work for class as well (the Hireling looks like a thief)?

I apologize, I dug through the first 60 search items on Hirelings and did not see this addressed there. If it is archived somewhere I had not found it.
The Elf Hireling can carry and use one Item that an Elf can use, so it doesn't have to be Elf-specific, just can't exclude Elves. The same goes for the Thief Hireling: It can use any Item a Thief can use.

You can read the rules from Munchkin 4 and Munchkin 5, which cover this. If you want to know what the cards from those sets are, you can look at their card lists (found on each product's web page), or, ultimately, buy the sets. However, if you want them in color, you're going to have to wait a while yet.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Mr P

Another Hireling question: If you are a male and had a Henchwench Hireling and you change your sex, by a curse i.e., What happen with the hireling? Did you just discard her?
MiB #3272
Iberia Cell Leader
Mr P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Please don't post follow-ups that aren't related to the original question. If you have your own question, create your own thread with a title that actually matches your question rather than re-purposing someone else's thread.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
Gamer234

Default Re: Race/Class Hireling Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauboi View Post
The rules don't imply that an Elf hireling can do what it does, or the Thief hireling for that matter; the cards explicitly state so. Therefore, the safest implication you can make is that unless a Hireling card specifically says that it has other abilities, it doesn't.
Gamer234 is offline   Reply With Quote