Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Default Force Sword Techniques -

Here is an interesting compilation of Jedi and Sith lightsaber techniques . Any one want to take a stab at costing them out for GURPS force sword? How do these fit in with the GURPS combat paradigm? Can they fit or do they break it somewhere?

http://imgur.com/gallery/rXss2
Old 07-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Dalillama

Default Re: Force Sword Techniques -

The Viper's Tongue: Dodge+Deceptive attack
Sarlacc's Face: Grappling with Telekinesis. Technical Grappling will probably help for detail, but I don't have it.
Cease and Desist: Attacking Weapons
Fading Menace: See Sarlacc's Face above.
Deadly Attraction: Telekinetic Shove followed by an attack.
Dewback Tail: Parry followed by a hilt punch
Aggressive Negotiations: Parry, TA(hand)
Shockwave: Telekinetic push
Force Grenade: Wield sword with telekinesis
etc.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
mlangsdorf

Starting at the top:

Viper's Tongue looks like a Wait, followed by a Hidden Weapon draw (DF2 p12). Or possibly a Dodge-Riposte into Hidden Weapon Draw, though that seems like a low probability of success maneuver. Or possibly a Counterattack.

Sarlacc's Face and Fading Menace seem very improbable. I don't know how I'd model those.

Cease and Desist is a Sidestep Dodge Riposte into a Hidden Weapon strike at the hand/weapon.

Creating the Void looks like a Bind, followed by some kind of special rule or technique to break a Bind by turning off a lightsaber, followed by a Reverse Grip into a vitals stab. I think it may be too specific to be a technique.

I don't see how Deadly Attraction, Shockwave, Force Grenade, or Rising Sun are supposed to work.

Dewback Tail is a straightforward combination: Lightsaber Parry with Slip into Hilt punch to the face.

Sand Twister is a three part combination: Feint into a Force Push into a Spinning Strike. Seems really risky.

Hyperspace and Alternate Path are Deceptive Attacks with some fancy descriptors.

Last Meteor Rain is an All-Out Attack (Long, floor lunge) with a Dual-Weapon Attack stacked on top of it with the funky detail that one of the attacks in the dual weapon is weapon throw at the start.

The various Sith techniques are basically tricks and tactics, not Techniques or Combos in the GURPS sense.

Also, all of these seem like really good candidates for Shout It Out! (MA132). As a setting switch, maybe in the Star Wars universe all styles come with a Shout it Out! use as part of the style cost.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Sarlacc's Face and Fading Menace seem very improbable. I don't know how I'd model those.
Grappling seems to be a straightforward use of TK (it's even covered in the description of TK as well as in some detail in GURPS Martial Arts: Technical Grappling). I must be missing something.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Varyon

Trakata: This is what you see with Viper's Tongue, Cease and Desist, Creating the Void, and Hyperspace. The way I'd do Trakata, I'd require a Fast Draw roll each time you activate the weapon (probably at +4 or so as you've already got it in hand), and I'd let you penalize this roll as a Setup Attack (the foe would defend with their best weapon skill, but floated to Per) and follow up with a normal attack. On top of this, benefits for things like Hidden Weapon Attacks (only works the first time) and Reverse Grip can impose additional defense penalties on your foe. Viper's Tongue is a Reverse Grip stab to the Vitals as a Stop Hit, Cease and Desist is a stab to the weapon/hands (possibly again as a Stop Hit), Creating the Void is a Feint (switching off) followed by a Runaround Attack (probably with an Evade) and a stab to the Vitals, and Hyperspace is probably just a Feint followed by a strike to the Vitals.

Sarlacc's Face: Use Technical Grappling guidelines to grab your foe's weapon hand(s) and face, then use Grab and Smash to bring them together. A foe who sees it coming could defend at a bonus by simply turning off their lightsaber (Fading Menace).

Deadly Attraction: Use TK to get some CP on your foe, then simply burn those CP to penalize his later defense against your attack. May or may not be combined with Shoving People Around to pull your foe forward.

Dewback Tail: Maybe something like a Dual Weapon Attack combining a Beat with a Hilt Punch to the foe's face. Otherwise, mechanically, it's more efficient to strike with the blade itself (unless your intent is to force the fight into close combat).

Restore the Balance: Possibly an appropriate description when a foe attempting Creating the Void fails to reactivate his lightsaber in time or fails to hit when he does so. Possibly appropriate as a Counterattack.

Aggressive Negotiations: A Bind Weapon ("locked" sabers can probably do this by default) and Targeted Attack (Hand) Dual Weapon Attack.

Shockwave: Wait (Force Push if he tries to grab me using TK).

Force Grenade: Throwing and a Feint to toss the weapon behind your foe without him paying much heed to it, then use TK to pick up and activate the weapon for a Runaround Attack. Rising Sun is simply an Acrobatic Evade against this, followed by an attack.

Sand Twister: A Dual Weapon Attack Feint and TK Grapple, followed by a Forced Change Posture and a strike to the foe.

Alternate Path: A Dual Weapon Attack TK Beat and an attack.

Last Meteor Rain: An All-Out Attack Dual Weapon Attack combining a Throwing Art Setup Attack to the Face and a strike, using Acrobatics to Change Posture to Prone as a Free Action in between (this gives you an extra Hex of Reach).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Your knowledge of the system is awe inspiring Gentle Beings! Thank you for the analyses. I am going to have to make time to play these out now.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Grappling seems to be a straightforward use of TK (it's even covered in the description of TK as well as in some detail in GURPS Martial Arts: Technical Grappling). I must be missing something.
I just felt, mechanically in GURPS, that there aren't going to be a lot of opportunities for the attacker to TK grab someone and then harm them without the victim intervening in between. And since some of them depend on the initiator being unarmed, the victim's intervention is most likely a fatal lightsaber attack.

But Varyon pointed out Smash-and-Grab, and that's a good way to handle them. So on the stuff I didn't way in on, go with Varyon's suggestions. We seem to be mostly in agreement anyway - our write-ups for Deadly Attraction, Last Meteor Strike, and the like are very similar except I used more combos than he did.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
I just felt, mechanically in GURPS, that there aren't going to be a lot of opportunities for the attacker to TK grab someone and then harm them without the victim intervening in between. And since some of them depend on the initiator being unarmed, the victim's intervention is most likely a fatal lightsaber attack.
Technical Grappling has rules for attacking people with their own weapons, IIRC.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Technical Grappling has rules for attacking people with their own weapons, IIRC.
Yes you can! You must first grab the weapon, weapon arm, or weapon hand, then win a QC of your Trained ST, DX, or best grappling skill versus the defender’s Trained ST (based on Retain Weapon), DX, or Retain Weapon. Once the weapon, weapon arm, or weapon hand is grappled, you can attack him with it using by rolling versus the highest of weapon skill or your best grappling
skill and taking control penalties for your foe’s Grip CP. This is all Page 14. It is awesome.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Yes you can! You must first grab the weapon, weapon arm, or weapon hand, then win a QC of your Trained ST, DX, or best grappling skill versus the defender’s Trained ST (based on Retain Weapon), DX, or Retain Weapon. Once the weapon, weapon arm, or weapon hand is grappled, you can attack him with it using by rolling versus the highest of weapon skill or your best grappling
skill and taking control penalties for your foe’s Grip CP. This is all Page 14. It is awesome.
There you go, that's how you do it.

Tags
combat, force sword, lightsaber, techniques, trakata