Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #21
whswhs

Default Re: [Supers] 21st DCU Golden Age (DC Nerfed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Arguably he deserves them. He just never used them in early appearances. I considered a higher basic move, but ultimately didn't put it in the racial profile. Also, we are back to a question of what all Kryptonians get vs Superman in particular.
I suppose it depends on whether you think that Krypton's gravity was higher than Earth's. That was presented as a source of his powers, or some of them, in the mid-1950s, when I started reading superhero comics. But my recollection is that the original Action Comics story had his powers be the result of advanced evolution, and told us nothing about Krypton as a planet.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:51 PM   #22
naloth

Superman (Kal-L, 1938 version)

In the last days of Krypton, the infant Kal-L was sent to earth. Kal crash landed in a remote part of Kansas and was discovered by the Kents. Although the Kents initially turned him over to an orphanage, they later returned to adopt him as their own son.

Kal was raised as Clark Kent on a farm in Kansas. His parents were careful to teach Clark to be careful of others, careful of revealing his abilities, and to do what was right. After the death of his father, Clark moved to metropolis and started a career as a journalist using his alter ego to get scoops no other journalist could get. Clark's recently was able to infiltrate, stop (as Superman), then report on a lynching during a protest turned riot. This landed him a junior role at the Daily Planet as a writer fresh out of college and has made "Superman" something of a new celebrity**.

Superman
ST 40* [0] HP 15 [10]
DX 11 [20] Will 12
IQ 12 [40] Per 12
HT 13 [30] Fatigue 25 [36]
Basic Speed 6 [0]

DR 10 (Low Signature +10%; Super -10%) [50]
Enhanced Move 2 (Ground Move 24; Cosmic: Instant Acceleration +50%; Super -10%) [56]
IT:DR/10 (Super -10%) [135]
Regeneration (Regular 1/hour; Super -10%) [23]
ST +30* (Super -10%) [270]
Super Jumping 6 (Super -10%: AA: EM) [11]

Code of Honor (Comics Code) [-15]
Overconfidence (12-) [-5]
Pacifism (Innocents) [-10]
Reduced HP -30 (Super -10%) [-54]
Quirk: Careful [-1]
Quirk: Chauvinistic [-1]
Quirk: Nosy [-1]
Secret Identity [-5]
Unusual Biochemistry [-5]

Brawling (DX+2) - 14 [4]
Farming (IQ-1) - 11 [1]
Lifting (HT+2) - 15 [4]
Research - 12 [2]
Writing - 12 [2]

Total: 606 points

*ST includes his racial bonus of ST+30.

**As a "new" hero Superman is a current hot topic. His eventual reputation has not developed yet.

Superman has a BL of 320 lbs which means he can lift and throw just over a ton without any extra effort. Using godlike effort, he can easily manage 3 tons. Superman can run ~50mph, broad jump about 1/8 of a mile without a running start, and bounce pistol bullets off his chest.

Against stuff that really can't hurt him, Superman will show off his abilities bouncing bullets and otherwise grandstanding a bit. Against more serious opponents Superman will defend normally. Superman defends others as a priority often taking hits or moving the fight away from people.

Last edited by naloth; 08-05-2020 at 12:57 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #23
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I suppose it depends on whether you think that Krypton's gravity was higher than Earth's. That was presented as a source of his powers, or some of them, in the mid-1950s, when I started reading superhero comics. But my recollection is that the original Action Comics story had his powers be the result of advanced evolution, and told us nothing about Krypton as a planet.
His first comic appearance talked about advanced evolution, then a year later they talked about Krypton being much larger and having more gravity leading to such evolution. Since then it's flip flopped a bit depending on who was writing it.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #24
naloth

Amazons and Atlanteans

There is a fairly large notable change here. Neither society will be advanced with either magic or technology, but instead will have TL based on where they stopped interacting with society as a whole.

Amazon
The Amazons are a race of super women that live on an island nation of Themyscira. Men are not allowed on the island, and Amazons generally only interact with men when they venture forth for materials. As a society, Amazons tend to distrust men.

Amazons babies are always female. Amazons mature slowly (adult at 576) and begin aging rolls at 1600 years. Diana is the youngest of the Amazons at a youthful 500 years old and the only one of the last raiding/breeding adventure.

The Amazons effectively understand and have access to TL/4 technology. Amazons have a small but diverse matriarchal society, though outsiders mostly encounter Amazon warriors.

Amazon racial package
ST +20 (Super -10%) [180], HP -20 (Super -10%) [-36], IT:DR/5 (Super -10%) [113], Regeneration (Slow; Super -10%) [9], Intolerance (Men) [-5], Low TL (TL4)* [-20]. Total 241 points.

*TL4 and Intolerance (Men) comes from being raised on the island. Characters that adjust to modern society can buy off both. Wonder Woman does not have intolerance.

Atlantean
Atlanteans survive in caves of an island that collapsed into the depths of the North Atlantic ocean more than three thousand years ago.

The Atlanteans are TL/2 with domestication of several unique aquatic species. Atlanteans use mostly obsidian and bone weaponry.

Atlanteans are adapted to live deep in the Atlantic ocean. Negating abilities such as Doesn't Breath (Gills) negates the ability to breathe air. Atlanteans mature at half the rate of humans and live twice as long. There are several subspecies of Atlanteans.

Atlantean base racial package
ST +20 (Super -10%) [180], HP -20 (Super -10%) [-36], Enhanced Move 2 (Swim; Super -10%) [36], IT:DR/5 (Super -10%) [113], Regeneration (Slow; Super -10%) [9], Telecommunication (Telepathy; Racial -20%; Super -10%) [21], Ultravision (Super -10%). Cold Blooded [-5], and Low TL (TL2) [-30]. Atlantean have the features: Aquatic, Breathes Water, and Deep Water Dweller. Total 297 points.

Royal blooded Atlanteans also have Amphibious (Super -10%) [9], Doesn't Breath (Gills -50%, Super -10%) [8], Pressure Support 2 (Super -10%) [9], and a Dependency (Daily, must spend 1 hour per day in sea water) [-15]. Total 10 points.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #25
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
There's a cat species called the Serval, which is about twice the size of a housecat (20 to 40 lbs.) It can jump 10 feet into the air without a running start and without really exerting itself. Amazing animal.
We had a housecat when I was a child that would leap onto a first story roof from a crouched position on the ground...I guess minimum 8 foot jump. I think it found roofs to be a rewarding hunting ground for birds.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #26
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
We had a housecat when I was a child that would leap onto a first story roof from a crouched position on the ground...I guess minimum 8 foot jump. I think it found roofs to be a rewarding hunting ground for birds.
At the risk of further derailment, that's right in line with Super Jump 2 combined with the Basic Speed 6 that the cat write up has in campaigns. BS 6 = 26" high jump. Super Jump 2 would increase that by x4 to 104" or 8' 8". The housecat that lives here probably only has Super Jump 1 since 5-6' seems like EE for it and it often claws up the last foot.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #27
pawsplay

I think, strictly, the only Power Golden Age Superman would have is +10 FP (Super, -10%). Earth's more energetic atmosphere and lighter gravity give him a little boost, otherwise he is the product of a genetically engineered human offshoot race.
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #28
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Superman
ST 40* [0] HP 15 [10]
DX 11 [20] Will 12
IQ 12 [40] Per 12
HT 13 [30] Fatigue 25 [36]
Basic Speed 6 [0]

DR 10 (Low Signature +10%; Super -10%) [50]
Enhanced Move 2 (Ground Move 24; Cosmic: Instant Acceleration +50%; Super -10%) [56]
IT:DR/10 (Super -10%) [135]
Regeneration (Regular 1/hour; Super -10%) [23]
ST +30* (Super -10%) [270]
Super Jumping 6 (Super -10%: AA: EM) [11]

Code of Honor (Comics Code) [-15]
Overconfidence (12-) [-5]
Pacifism (Innocents) [-10]
Reduced HP -30 (Super -10%) [-54]
Quirk: Careful [-1]
Quirk: Chauvinistic [-1]
Quirk: Nosy [-1]
Secret Identity [-5]
Unusual Biochemistry [-5]

Brawling (DX+2) - 14 [4]
Farming (IQ-1) - 11 [1]
Lifting (HT+2) - 15 [4]
Research - 12 [2]
Writing - 12 [2]

Total: 606 points

*ST includes his racial bonus of ST+30.

**As a "new" hero Superman is a current hot topic. His eventual reputation has not developed yet.
If you think Krypton has higher gravity, then things will fall faster than on Earth. He probably should have enhanced Basic Speed. I would suggest +5, which would give an average Kryptonian doubled reflexes. If you buy it up, you can drop a level each of Enhanced Move and Super Jumping.

Should his DR be flexible? He doesn't move as if his skin were made up of rigid plates.

What's your source for Regeneration?

If this is the 1930s Supes, the Comic Code hadn't even been thought of then. And I believe he originally was more violent and more willing to work outside the law than the Comics Code allowed. I'm not even sure he has a CoH at all, though he has some sort of ethical standard.

If you're giving him reduced HP, I don't think you should also pay points for his HP 15. It seems you should just buy them down from his ST.

Isn't Brawling normally learned by fighting with other people? I'm not sure he could ever have done that without killing people; or that they could ever have been enough of a challenge for him to gain useful practice.

I wonder if he ought to have Professional Skill: Journalism?

Old 08-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #29
whswhs

One thing you might consider is not using the Super modifier. Certainly comics in the 1950s and 1960 had the broad general category of "super"; I remember Amazo having the borrowed powers of Aquaman and J'onn J'onzz (racial traits), Flash (accidental scientific), Wonder Woman (partly divine gifts, partly advanced training, and partly magical artifacts), and Green Lantern (an alien artifact, perhaps psionic in nature), all rationalized as "super" (though I don't think he was able to borrow Superman's powers). But in the 1930s and early 1940s I don't think that assumption had been established.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #30
pawsplay

Superman's original costume was based on a gymnast/powerlifter costume, and he was easily able to duplicate a gymnast's moves. Early Superman might very have Brawling just from watching and imitating things he saw. I'd suggest IQ and DX of 14, if not higher.

He didn't have a Comics Code CoH... he used Batman style intimidation at least twice, and regularly killed one or two guys an episode for his first decade in print.
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers