Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #1
Lameth

Default Help in creating Jenny Sparks

I need help in plotting out the power/powers of DC/Wildstorm comics Jenny Sparks of The Authority.

Jenny has the ability to manipulate electricity. She can easily draw electricity from electronic devices as well as from the human brain, a move she has threatened to kill people with.

Is is simply control electricity? How would you then use control to pull electricity around you and cast it out as a crackling bolt at a foe? How would you do damage? And how do you grade the power you can pull on? As in if the pc is just sitting in a house how much can they pull or, or on the street, or on a power grid? Etc. thx
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Help in creating Jenny Sparks

Jenny Sparks is also the spirit of the century, so she was immortal during the 20th century, and possessed the ability to become electricity. She was actually a zeitgeist, so she would possess Cosmic powers during her century of existence. I would start with the Cosmic Talent and build from there, but Control (Electricity) is really the least of her abilities, though I would give her Control (Electricity; Cosmic, +50%) 10 [300] to begin with and have her other electricity powers as alternative powers of Control (Electricity). For example, her teleportation trick would be Warp (Alternate Ability; Blind, +50%; Cosmic, +50%; Reliable, +10, +50%) [50].

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 06-23-2018 at 06:02 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
Refplace

Not familiar with the character but what you describe I would build With Control Electricity as suggested and a set of additional or Alternative Abilities.
Innate Attack covers energy bolts, Burning with Surge is typical but a Fatigue attack could represent drawing out electricity.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
Lameth

Yes but how do you represent the location and access to the electricity gives more or less power depending on what you draw from? Or am I over thinking this?
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
chandley

Control builds that limitation in already (you can only control what is there, you need Create to generate more).

For the Alternate Abilities, add the Environmental limitation, and write up the description of each ability so that it is clear how much available electricity is needed to provide what effect in game terms.

That said, from what I remember of the comic, she could pull electricity from such a wide area that Environmental might not be a good choice. A power modifier that included a "must not be entirely electrically isolated, -5%" might be better. I can't recall a time she was significantly limited by the availability of electricity, but it has been a while since I read Authority.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
AlexanderHowl

Well, I think she was able to pull electricity from anywhere that there were electrons (like the atmosphere or the human body), so I think Accessibility, anywhere except vacuum, -10% would apply.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
I need help in plotting out the power/powers of DC/Wildstorm comics Jenny Sparks of The Authority.

Jenny has the ability to manipulate electricity. She can easily draw electricity from electronic devices as well as from the human brain, a move she has threatened to kill people with.
It's not GURPS, but have you taken a look at the old THE AUTHORITY rpg? Out of print but it's about $10 used on Amazon and has a lot of character writeups, and the point-buy system is not that dissimilar from GURPS.