Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #51
Bruno

Default Re: Hall of Judgment for the DFRPG: Now LIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
So depending on volume and demand, right now we're looking at printing in the UK with international shipping at $5-10 per book.
I feel like I should send the Royal Mail a box of chocolates.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:42 AM   #52
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I feel like I should send the Royal Mail a box of chocolates.
"I will print my book in two places" really only works for small vendors or VERY large ones ( I think).[1]

Korean mail is pretty good too, by the way.

Give me a short bit and I'll throw down some more data.

[1]

Why? For very small printing, you're dealing with POD, which is the classic "print a couple and mail 'em." You're looking at stuff like DriveThruRPG's wheelhouse, and they don't charge for setup, which means that they're going to win on price even against other POD venues (many of which are much cheaper than DTRPG, and several are both less expensive AND better quality) until about two dozen copies. The shipping fees from the US to "not the US" are so high per book that printing via DriveThru Premium - even in hardcover full color, which is the second-worst way to procure books POD - is still worth it compared to printing in the USA and shipping.

There comes a point in the process, then, where larger runs volume discounts start to kick in. That varies by project, but there's a medium-run printer in the UK that is really, really strong in the 200-500 copy range, maybe even up to 1000.

Then, at quantities of 1,000 and higher, and *especially* at 1,500 or 2,000 and higher, printing in Asia or Latvia (Livonia is in Latvia, and they make BEAUTIFUL books) wins.

But in both cases, one can usually split off a box or ten of books and ship them to a fulfillment partner for the small number of orders involved. My prior KS were 10-15% international and only a few hundred physical books. So we're talking 15-50 physical books, and my network of publishing and game store friends is up to the task of getting that may books split off and shipped from either the UK or Korea.

The Hall of Judgment KS is fascinating in many ways, not the least that it's 30% "not the US" according to my survey.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 06-25-2018 at 10:30 AM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #53
Rasputin

Quote:
Then, at quantities of 1,000 and higher, and *especially* at 1,500 or 2,000 and higher, printing in Asia or Latvia (Livonia is in Latvia, and they make BEAUTIFUL books) wins.
The southern two-thirds, sure. Any reason why you’re mentioning the region? And does the Estonian part make nice books too? :)
Quote:
The Hall of Judgment KS is fascinating in many ways, not the least that it's 30% "not the US" according to my survey.
I wonder how much of that is Canada.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #54
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
The southern two-thirds, sure. Any reason why you’re mentioning the region? And does the Estonian part make nice books too? :)
I wonder how much of that is Canada.
"Asia" is of course short-code for China and Taiwan; I had a nice line on Korean printing for a bit but the rep has gone dark on me. I've heard nice things about those results.

Livonia printed the Symbaroum book, and their pricing is competitive with most of the Chinese/Taiwanese printers and shipping by ocean freight from there is more like 4 weeks than 6.

I like to run things mostly "open kimono," as we used to say in the consulting world (for whatever reason). Just giving folks insight to the process.

The breakdown of specifics wasn't really my goal for the "not the US" question; it's how much of my future printing order will need to be printed outside the USA. In my past projects, the percentage of "not the US" was more like 15-20%, so by any metric this is quite a bit more.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #55
Rasputin

Quote:
Livonia printed the Symbaroum book, and their pricing is competitive with most of the Chinese/Taiwanese printers and shipping by ocean freight from there is more like 4 weeks than 6.
I was wondering if you were talking about a company. I read “Livonia” as “Northeastern Latvia and southern Estonia,” specifically the Latvian part since you referred to Latvia.

My GURPS blog.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #56
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
I was wondering if you were talking about a company. I read “Livonia” as “Northeastern Latvia and southern Estonia,” specifically the Latvian part since you referred to Latvia.
Ah! I wasn't sure what you were talking about with "region," so I figured you meant Asia.

For the record, I'm talking about these guys: Livonia Print
Old 06-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #57
DouglasCole

The first week of the Hall of Judgment kickstarter for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG (Powered by #GURPS) has gone amazingly well relative to my expectations, and even my hopes. Here's what went on last week, and what's coming...

Monday Update: Hall of Judgment Week 1
Old 06-26-2018, 09:00 AM   #58
DouglasCole

In Update 9 (and a few before) I mentioned a new reward level. This $250 pledge is a seat at the table with me at GameHole con, where I'll run Hall of Judgment for those that attend. There will be six reserved seats, and two open seats for walk-ups.

The game will start at 4pm Central Time on Friday, November 9, and run for four hours. Pregens will be provided - possibly by you! Supplying a pre-gen is one of the reward levels.

You will also get every book I've made so far in print and PDF. They're mostly for That Other Game, but Dragon Heresy in particular has a lot of setting and culture information to supplement the non-trivial amount of such information added to Hall of Judgment.

As I noted: you are responsible for your own badge, transport, lodging, and timeliness. We'll be set up in DorkStock, the Con-within-a-Con celebrating John Kovalic's work.

The reward level goes live at 10am Central Time.

If they're all gone? There will be a chance for a second table, but scheduling is still being worked out and I'll only launch that one if this one fills up.

See you in Madison!
Old 06-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #59
Rasputin

Quote:
For the record, I'm talking about these guys: Livonia Print
Cool. Hence the name after the region of Latvia that happens to contain the printing house.

My GURPS blog.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #60
DouglasCole

I will be on the Nerdarchy Live Chat tomorrow to discuss Hall of Judgment.

Show goes on 11am CST.

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eppv8DjU6M