Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #111
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Sooo . . .What do you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Drew this is what I mean, this is another option for the new player to build his library the same way a MTG type players builds a card library.
I would like to point out this is exactly why I don't play any CCGs anymore. I detest the "must always buy new things to play" model.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:50 AM   #112
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I don't like the idea at all. I think it's an invitation to rules bloat and doesn't add anything to the game. At this point the rules are finished, so any changes would be simple errata for printing mistakes.
Well my friend I guess this is the point where we agree to disagree. There is already the option to use ramming over overrun. And I can't believe that all of us don't have house rules and such. But also you are looking at it strictly from the rules aspect. I'm looking at having single repository for scenarios, as well as variants(variants aren't rules) and the record keeping materials we use. And have it have a consistent, organized look which might attract new players.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #113
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I would like to point out this is exactly why I don't play any CCGs anymore. I detest the "must always buy new things to play" model.
David you're taking the concept too literally. You don't have to buy anything new to play Ogre. But how often do new fan based scenarios come out; Variants(no rules). And you can't tell me you're not as quilty as I am of getting the minis but still using the ODE and even the Classic counters just as much...lol. All I'm asking for is a place to put everything we chose to get.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #114
Misplaced Buckeye

Getting away from the binder idea for a sec, another thing I was talking with Steve about was the next playmat. Don't know how many of you saw the 1 hex mapboard on flickr from Tim Kauffman but after seeing this M1 Map I love to see this in a brown, green and blue background for use with the mods.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...597895/in/feed

SO now we can have a true tactical ramming and overrun moved from the main board to this "exploded" version to really get to the vehicle and squad level.

Drew this is the kinda thing that would bring in the new players who are more tactical and squad level driven.

UPDATE: Just did the math for this. To get it to ODE size the playmap would be around an 8' x 8' so probably not feasible but god it would be glorious!

Last edited by Misplaced Buckeye; 06-25-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 06-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #115
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
David you're taking the concept too literally. You don't have to buy anything new to play Ogre. But how often do new fan based scenarios come out; Variants(no rules). And you can't tell me you're not as quilty as I am of getting the minis but still using the ODE and even the Classic counters just as much...lol. All I'm asking for is a place to put everything we chose to get.
The only thing I'm guilty of is trying to support the game any way I can. I don't need the minis; they aren't even my "thing," but voting for Ogre to survive with my $$ is one avenue I have to support (the other is showing it to other people).

My point about CCGs (and how Ogre needs to stay different) is that in the CCG universe, you have to keep buying if you want to be competitive (in many cases, old cards aren't even legal to use). My distaste of CCGs comes from this forced obsolescence. That's very different from deciding to buy something new for Ogre. If I decided to skip Battlefields (yeah, like that's going to happen), my copy of ODE (and for that matter, my 1978 G.E.V) still work.

My problem with "a place to put everything" is that's way too open-ended. At best, you could hope for something that holds "all the official docs" whatever that means, with a little space for "other stuff." I don't think it's a workable idea because there are too many variables. How much growth for official docs? How much for fan stuff, scenarios, etc? You are better off leaving the organization to the individuals so they can each organize in their own way at Staples, Office Max or whatever.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #116
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post

My problem with "a place to put everything" is that's way too open-ended. At best, you could hope for something that holds "all the official docs" whatever that means, with a little space for "other stuff." I don't think it's a workable idea because there are too many variables. How much growth for official docs? How much for fan stuff, scenarios, etc? You are better off leaving the organization to the individuals so they can each organize in their own way at Staples, Office Max or whatever.
OK crucify me for wanting to make things pretty...rofl. The point was that you could buy one or more than one to suit your needs and wants. I'd love to put 4 up next to each other in a bookcase and the ends build one picture of a Mark V...... That's why the Clear Vue sounds good but the hinges are so damn flimsy on some of them. Ok nuff said I've polluted this thread enough for one week
Old 06-25-2018, 02:19 PM   #117
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

3-ring binders are a standard office supply (though I got most of my own free, by repurposing real-estate giveaways and the like).* Can I sell enough of a standard office supply, even with a pretty picture on it, to justify taking the effort away from something else?

* actually, I'm pretty sure that one of my INWO binders is left over from my junior high days. Junior high, for you moderns, is middle school.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #118
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Can I sell enough of a standard office supply, even with a pretty picture on it, to justify taking the effort away from something else?
Seriously doubtful, and some customers are going to look askance at you for trying. I still remember the days of people rolling their eyes at all the Munchkin-themed Stuff, even though it is all awesome.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:13 PM   #119
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Getting away from the binder idea for a sec, another thing I was talking with Steve about was the next playmat. Don't know how many of you saw the 1 hex mapboard on flickr from Tim Kauffman but after seeing this M1 Map I love to see this in a brown, green and blue background for use with the mods.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...597895/in/feed

SO now we can have a true tactical ramming and overrun moved from the main board to this "exploded" version to really get to the vehicle and squad level.

Drew this is the kinda thing that would bring in the new players who are more tactical and squad level driven.

UPDATE: Just did the math for this. To get it to ODE size the playmap would be around an 8' x 8' so probably not feasible but god it would be glorious!
It would make for a really cool looking poster if it were properly finished. That image is a rough draft just to illustrate the size of a OGRE hex I always pondered over the years. Keep in mind though, I sized the hexes inside the OGRE hex to be the length of a MARK5. Any size hexes are possible however.

Quote:
3-ring binders are a standard office supply * Can I sell enough of a standard office supply, even with a pretty picture on it, to justify taking the effort away from something else?
The "pretty picture" is the key here. That is something you could sell and then people could use them as posters or for the front/back covers of their custom OGREbinders.

It may be worth looking into...selling OGRE artwork. Favorites of mine are the OGRE Blueprint (which is available, Thank You!) and Winchell's new OGRE Size Comparison Art for example. I'm thinking 8 1/2x 11 so they could be sleeved in a binder and still be large enough to also make for a small poster. Although the OGRE Size Comparison one would also be great at the same size as the OGRE Blueprint one, it's that cool looking.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:56 PM   #120
sparky00

Quote:
3-ring binders are a standard office supply (though I got most of my own free, by repurposing real-estate giveaways and the like).* Can I sell enough of a standard office supply, even with a pretty picture on it, to justify taking the effort away from something else?

* actually, I'm pretty sure that one of my INWO binders is left over from my junior high days. Junior high, for you moderns, is middle school.
Unlikely, but a cover/spine insert PDF with current Ogre artwork would be pretty cool.

Print out, cut out & insert into the binder of your choice.

Maybe with a box to write/ print the contents ( eg. "Scenarios").

Dresses up a plain binder nicely & ties in with the gorgeous art style of the current edition/ docs.

I'd go for one.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote