Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #41
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: The Future of the DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
If there's a one true DF setting chances are good some people will love it and some will hate it
That's one advantage D&D had in the beginning; you had Greyhawk and Blackmoor, then along came Mystara, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, and Dark Sun.

For GURPS we have Banestorm, Pax Roma, the Mad Lands, and... none of those really fit DF.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #42
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
I concur. But why not have the product focus on them instead?
I don't know how that would be any different and still be adventures. They already do focus on locations.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #43
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That's one advantage D&D had in the beginning; you had Greyhawk and Blackmoor, then along came Mystara, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, and Dark Sun.

For GURPS we have Banestorm, Pax Roma, the Mad Lands, and... none of those really fit DF.
As I said earlier. Build the setting as a high level overview and you can then flesh it out with a modular approach, be it modules, race books, dungeons, towns, adventure paths or whatever. A high level overview to spark imagination and provide general guidance but leave room for flexibility as it grows to determine what the audience seems to like.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #44
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
There are Pyramid settings that work better. I have been thinking about setting my next DF game in "The Qanat Pirates of Old Than".
Old 04-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #45
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't know how that would be any different and still be adventures. They already do focus on locations.
All the adventure paths I've had the misfortune of dealing with focused on NPCs machinations. Which can be interesting, except when the GM is given a few pages of background information on an NPCs deepest motivations and background, but zero way to expose this information to the players before they get into a lethal combat situation with them.

They really were quite painfully railroady.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #46
lvalero

I will for sure buy a "classic" setting for DFRPF. With "classic" I mean all the troopes related with dungeon fantasy worlds: gods, orcs, evil necromancers, minotaurs, old ruins, more evil wizards, dragons, ... and so on.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #47
(E)

I would like a slice of the world add on personally, a bit of dungeon, a dash of culture, a couple of new monsters, maybe a new rule etc. I know that this is very different to the current GURPS structure however.
I have nothing against the current set but I think a suppliment with readability as a higher priority would be best for the target audience.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #48
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
All the adventure paths I've had the misfortune of dealing with focused on NPCs machinations. Which can be interesting, except when the GM is given a few pages of background information on an NPCs deepest motivations and background, but zero way to expose this information to the players before they get into a lethal combat situation with them.

They really were quite painfully railroady.
That isn't my experience with Iron Gods, where I have been easily able to extrapolate enough, including the various instances where the party has allied with someone that the adventure assumes that they might fight.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #49
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
There are Pyramid settings that work better. I have been thinking about setting my next DF game in "The Qanat Pirates of Old Than".
What issue?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #50
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post
I will for sure buy a "classic" setting for DFRPF. With "classic" I mean all the troopes related with dungeon fantasy worlds: gods, orcs, evil necromancers, minotaurs, old ruins, more evil wizards, dragons, ... and so on.
With all that, does there even need to be a setting? Setting-less material makes it easier for GMs who aren't using a pre-published setting (which will be the majority, as it always is) to use printed adventures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
I have nothing against the current set but I think a suppliment with readability as a higher priority would be best for the target audience.
That would be a good thing for RPGs in general. (And writing in general.) RPGs often have complicated concepts nestled inside other complicated concepts, with complicated writing to boot. Everyone taking care to simplify his writing would help outsiders understand RPGs better. We've come a long way from the Mentzer Red Box, and we're not the better for it. There's a reason that era was a high time for RPGs.

The DFRPG needs to be simple, as it is a subset of a more complex RPG, GURPS. Folks wanting more complexity can add stuff from GURPS. Any material needs to limit itself to glomming off the core box, as few folks playing will ever touch a supplement.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote