Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #501
Daigoro

Default Re: Catalog of the Weird Parallels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Many also very emphatically state that the Berenstain Bear books were once named Berenstein Bear, despite that being verifiably wrong as well.
And that Sinbad was in a movie called Shazam.
More here, but I hadn't come across most of them before.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:38 PM   #502
Flyndaran
Untagged

I very much remember Oscar M-eye-er pronunciation in really old commercials. But I also remember Mandela dying in the 80s, then hearing about him again alive in the 90s, so what do I know?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #503
TGLS

Doppelganger worlds are inhabited by seemingly ageless slime creatures that can shapeshift.

In Doppelganger-1, humanity never evolved, and was previously used as an empty world for colonization and mining. However, trouble ensued when the mindless slimes began imitating Homeliners (they had no sapience, but were able to mindlessly parrot things they heard the Homeliners say.) Infinity closed the world and a small research station exists there now.

In Doppelganger-2, a town from the American west was banestormed in about 200 years ago. The slimes of this world have a form of telepathy, and transformed into what the townspeople expected to come their way. The TL6 society (believes year to be 2056), is about equal parts slime and human, humans are currently unaware of the slimes.

In Doppelganger-3, humans did evolve, and the slimes there imitate exaggerations of them, but rarely when it would provide proof that shapeshifting slimes exist. Society is mid-TL7, and the slimes are unknowingly pushing Synarchist Poland and the Thai Empire closer to nuclear war. An outtime operation ended in tragedy when an unattached Centrum agent decided the best course of action would be to murder his doppelganger, which led to the doppelganger killing him and going on a killing spree attempting to eliminate the I-Cops.

In Doppelganger-4, humans are fighting a losing war against a version of the slimes that are apparently obsessed with eating everything they find. Slimes are impersonating soldiers and stealing military hardware, negating the technological advantages of the TL8 militaries they are facing. Nuclear strikes against concentrations of slime is ineffective because of the rapid rate of reproduction for the slimes. Centrum is attempting to engineer a virus eliminate the slime while supporting the desperate defense of the humans.

Doppelganger-5 appears to be an echo of Earth in the early 90s, but it so happens that a small cadre of slimes (a few hundred) are manipulating events for their own ends. Their exact goals are unclear, but it appears that their first goal is to centralize power on themselves. Infinity is only aware that the conspiracy exists because one of their scouts was replaced by a slime, who was following orders to investigate Homeline. Infinity is now trying to sufficiently disrupt a conspiracy of shapeshifters who are now aware of the secret.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #504
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
And that Sinbad was in a movie called Shazam.
More here, but I hadn't come across most of them before.
Also, Credence Clearwater Revival never recorded a song called "Rolling on the River", Ricardo Montalban never advertised a car's "rich Corinthian leather", the title character in Doctor Who is not named "Who", and there was never a show named "Late Night with David Letterman".

All of this is Common Knowledge, as any reader of tropes sites might already know.

So there are hundreds if not thousands of possible worlds to slip somebody across to...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #505
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
In Doppelganger-2, a town from the American west was banestormed in about 200 years ago. The slimes of this world have a form of telepathy, and transformed into what the townspeople expected to come their way. The TL6 society (believes year to be 2056), is about equal parts slime and human, humans are currently unaware of the slimes.
This one reminds me of a series of books I read long ago. A distant future "Luddite" colony lands on a planet to live vaguely medieval, but a local fungus alters itself when exposed to psychic projections.
The setting and psychology of the people made it turn into mythological creatures, good and bad.
Eventually they started to breed true and become such creatures. But the fungus still exists mutable to a strong enough mind.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #506
Dalillama

Quote:
This one reminds me of a series of books I read long ago. A distant future "Luddite" colony lands on a planet to live vaguely medieval, but a local fungus alters itself when exposed to psychic projections.
The setting and psychology of the people made it turn into mythological creatures, good and bad.
Eventually they started to breed true and become such creatures. But the fungus still exists mutable to a strong enough mind.

Christopher Stasheff's Warlock of Gramarye books.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:10 PM   #507
David Johnston2

Quote:
Mandela Banestorms where groups of people quietly jump to extremely similar worlds.
More likely the result of minor reality quakes.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:00 PM   #508
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Christopher Stasheff's Warlock of Gramarye books.
That looks like it. I didn't realize it was such an old series.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #509
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
More likely the result of minor reality quakes.
Either could work depending on what the GM/Players prefer.
Reality quakes though would act as a nice warning for impending big ones.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #510
Astromancer

Due to a truly weird magical mistake in a higher universe, a large part of North America (mainly in the Rockies in a rough circle about 300 miles in radius, centered near the US/Canadian border) is now Candyland!. A few other areas outside of North America are effected too, the most well know example involves the Jam Bunty Mines of the Ditty Men. Tooth decay is way up and the Candy nobility is known to seek world domination.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, weird worlds