Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:26 AM   #1
Deimos

Default Ogre Mini Assembly and Stacking

Now that the Set 1 minis are due to start arriving I have 2 questions for the members here.

1. Mini Assembly
Since it has been many, many moons since I assembled models as a kid, I was wondering what tools would be helpful in assembling the new minis?

I recall that when separating the model parts from the sprue there would be a piece left on the part that would need to be cut and/or sanded off to make the part look nice, or, even worse, take a divot out of the part.

The two tools that I came up with are an Xacto knife and a fine grit emery board or sandpaper. But since I do not know what type of material the minis are cast from, I am unsure if these would work.

2. Mini stacking on the G.E.V maps
Other than using a number token to represent stacked units on the map, I don't have a good idea on how players plan to handle this. While the token is functional, it does "break the 4th wall" so to speak.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
Desert Scribe

Default Re: Ogre Mini Assembly and Stacking

I solved the stacking problem by getting a map with four-inch hexes.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
Mack_JB

An X-Acto with #11 blade should be sufficient, if used properly. There are also dedicated "sprue clippers" that are more or less usable (and far more costly), but they will still need clean-up afterwards.

I usually try to 'aim' my X-Acto blade such that it matches the angle of the part you are removing, so you cut as near to parallel with the part as possible. Baring that, a straight up and down plunging cut perpendicular to the part will still leave a small nub, which I then trim by carefully shaving it off with the X-Acto. I almost never use sandpaper, as that breaks the surface of the plastic more, and leaves a rough spot more often than not. I do occasionally use small needle file designed for jewelry use, they leave a smoother surface than sandpaper, and once you get the hang of them, you can be quite adept at getting them into odd tight spots.

You should never just twist and snap parts off the sprue, unless you really want ugly spots.

As to stacking, I can just shoehorn five GEV into a hex, but they do each stick out a small amount fore or aft.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
Now that the Set 1 minis are due to start arriving I have 2 questions for the members here.

1. Mini Assembly
Since it has been many, many moons since I assembled models as a kid, I was wondering what tools would be helpful in assembling the new minis?

I recall that when separating the model parts from the sprue there would be a piece left on the part that would need to be cut and/or sanded off to make the part look nice, or, even worse, take a divot out of the part.

The two tools that I came up with are an Xacto knife and a fine grit emery board or sandpaper. But since I do not know what type of material the minis are cast from, I am unsure if these would work.

2. Mini stacking on the G.E.V maps
Other than using a number token to represent stacked units on the map, I don't have a good idea on how players plan to handle this. While the token is functional, it does "break the 4th wall" so to speak.
Why not put ODE counters under the top mini? Replace with minis as they break from the stack or are destroyed.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
GreyHart

I use a clipper to remove items from the sprue, then go in with an X-Acto blade to trim closer before using an emery board to finish.

For stacking I'll just use a dice set to the number of units in the stack.

R.I.P.T.A. (Rhode Island Pedestrians Targeting Autoduellists) - "You just took a right turn into hell, and ya didn't use ya blinkah!"

PETA (Pedestrians Eradicating Troublesome Autoduellists) - "Keeping our crosswalks mined since 2013."

Do not meddle in the affairs of OGREs, for you are squishy under their treads.
GreyHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Why not put ODE counters under the top mini? Replace with minis as they break from the stack or are destroyed.
That doesn't quite solve the issue, especially if you have different units in the stack. You just have to decide which one you want displayed as a mini.

Incidentally, this is a very similar problem/solution that was talked about for the Steam game, too (i.e., how to make the stack look nicer and still have a "minis feel").

Another technique I learned this year is to make sure the stacked units are touching, and just make sure it's understood anything that "bleeds out" of the hex that is still touching is part of that group in that hex. In practice, it's rarely hard to tell what's going on.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
atomic

Someone here (maybe Buzzardo) suggested using a d4 for stacking. Works great since 5 is the stacking limit and you won't accidentally pick it up after rolling.
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #8
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Just in general, attaching minis to ODE counters would work well for creating a nice base with stats for the units.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #9
dwalend

For stacking minis (or even too many counters) I'll put a marker on the map, and a matching marker on a notecard next to the board. Then I put the units in the stack on the notecard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Scribe View Post
That's the ODE way! (And out-ODE-ing ODE.)
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #10
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Scribe View Post
That's the ODE way! (And out-ODE-ing ODE.)
Truth!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote