Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-29-2020, 09:35 PM   #11
JohnPaulB

Default Re: ST Items and Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post

3) If a GM wants to include Increase Strength enchantments, but doesn't like the effect Henry just pointed out, they might rule that it increases the wearer's ST but not their fatigue. So when a wizard puts one on, they then need to rest to actually gain the fatigue up to the enhanced level.
Or it could be like a cursed item? It ring can't be taken off until all the character's ST gets up to 0.

Unless of course, you cut the finger off to get to the ring.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:09 AM   #12
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
3) If a GM wants to include Increase Strength enchantments, but doesn't like the effect Henry just pointed out, they might rule that it increases the wearer's ST but not their fatigue. So when a wizard puts one on, they then need to rest to actually gain the fatigue up to the enhanced level.
In that case, a ST ring should also require days of "healing" to access the additional damage capacity.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:56 PM   #13
Kieddicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Example, two witches one ring.

Her sister Berthe removes the ring. Angnus is now dying at adjST negative four, but she will rest up and will just be unconscious at adjST zero after an hour.
This comes down to how fast your GM kills people for being at Neg.ST.

Since fatigue acts exactly like damage (except for the fact that you recover from it over time vs being heal) you can die to it all the same. If I were the GM I'd say if you have base ST 6 and are currently at -4 that you would die before you recovered from your fatigue.
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #14
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieddicus View Post
This comes down to how fast your GM kills people for being at Neg.ST.

Since fatigue acts exactly like damage (except for the fact that you recover from it over time vs being heal) you can die to it all the same. If I were the GM I'd say if you have base ST 6 and are currently at -4 that you would die before you recovered from your fatigue.
Which leaves you with the odd case of an unwounded figure at -1 ST who can't be saved by a physicker.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #15
phiwum

Quote:
Which leaves you with the odd case of an unwounded figure at -1 ST who can't be saved by a physicker.
That honestly sounds like a solution more than a problem. Mess around at the edge of the rules and sometimes you get burned.

Though, to be sure, I'd warn the player before he removes that ring from his unconscious buddy.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:15 PM   #16
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Though, to be sure, I'd warn the player before he removes that ring from his unconscious buddy.
"Well looks like Timmy killed you. Next time pick better friends."
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:17 AM   #17
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
"Well looks like Timmy killed you. Next time pick better friends."
Absolutely.

Or perhaps you should be a bit more cautious when using up all your ST casting spells. You leave yourself in a dangerous condition.

To be fair, if Timmy wanted sole ownership of the ST ring, it's easy enough to acquire when Max has taken a little nap in any case. It's just that this way, Timmy might think the death is a mere side effect, not an act of blatant murder.

Probably, this is the Cydri alternative to the trolley problem.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:40 PM   #18
Steve Plambeck

You pick your friends, but not you family. What if Timmy is his brother? What if they are out boating on Timmy's birthday? And something glimmers on the riverbed? No telling what all that could lead to...
Old 10-31-2020, 10:33 PM   #19
Kieddicus

Quote:
Well you could always put the ring back on your friend, but then you got to juggle the artifact between the two for 15 minutes.

With that said even though I'd kill someone at -4 ST (assuming their base ST is 6) pretty quickly, if you are only at -1 ST I'd say you can like at least 15 minutes. Or you could RP it and let a physicker keep them stable (but not heal them) if they stay with them the whole time they are recovering.
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:31 AM   #20
Steve Plambeck

For that matter, I don't think I'd declare a character dead, just unconscious, if their ST wasn't negative due to actual wounds. Fatigue would wear off at the normal rate, and they'd regain consciousness when ST got back to 1. Otherwise we really don't have much of a mechanism in this game for representing unconsciousness short of death, except for the special case of being at exactly zero ST, with at least 1 of the outstanding hits being fatigue. As is, the margin between dead and unconscious is terribly narrow.

Last edited by Steve Plambeck; 11-01-2020 at 01:34 AM.
Steve Plambeck is offline   Reply With Quote