Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-11-2020, 06:14 PM   #1
hcobb

Default How much stronger do you get for that which you kill?

What is everybody else awarding in XPs?
Old 12-12-2020, 05:20 AM   #2
phiwum

Default Re: How much stronger do you get for that which you kill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
What is everybody else awarding in XPs?
It's all about whether play is clever and difficult obstacles have been overcome. If there's an unavoidable fight and the party did well, I give higher XP. If a fight was avoided in a strategic way, I give similar XP.

My range is from 50 to 100 XP per session, as low as 40 for an uneventful short play and once as high as 120.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:03 PM   #3
larsdangly

I basically award XP for time played, at a rate of about 100 XP per character per hour when things are rocking and rolling, and about 50 XP per character per hour when the PC's are goofing off and not really doing anything. This is probably more generous than some interpretations of the new XP rules, but I've found it is close to a sweet spot in terms of rate of character progression. The players are always looking forward to an up coming advancement of some sort, but they are still staying more or less comparable in power to the more seasoned NPC's they run across.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #4
Shostak

It depends a bit, but 50-75 for a 3-hour session. I might go as high as 100 if the roleplaying is very good, and maybe 40 if not. I don't give XP for killing things, but rather for staying in character and solving problems.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:44 PM   #5
lordtarim

Has anyone used the old experiance for kills, damage on opponents, spell casting and most importantly personal kills?

We always used a system where we totaled up the ST,DX,and IQ of everything killed or defeated and split it by the number of players in XP.

Awarding personal kills the full point total of the person killed and not including that in the XP to everyone. We also awarded between 5 and 15 pts per great action or successful 4D and 5D rolls.
lordtarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:11 AM   #6
Steve Plambeck

My old group (long disbanded) stuck with the old system for awarding EP for two decades. But we did switch to the ITL conversion table for new Attribute costs when ITL was first published.

Only a few of our PCs ever got near 40 points, actually 38 was about the best anyone got to before stalling, so despite the generous EP we never saw any "attribute bloat".
Old 01-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
MikMod

Depends*

Great Role Play: lots of xp

Awful or No Role Play: very little.

* not on killing
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #8
Steve Plambeck

The sweet thing about getting EP for ever hit received was that you could honestly say, that which didn't kill you made you stronger!
Old 01-15-2021, 09:44 AM   #9
Droll

I've posted a proposed rating formula and award scheme at http://www.playhob.com/Tfts/egdTft.txt that's similar to Henry's at https://www.hcobb.com/tft/firepower.html . While his relative calculations were purposely boiled down to opposition by an endless line of optimal starting human characters, I tried adding in more cap stat complications.
Droll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #10
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droll View Post
I've posted a proposed rating formula and award scheme at http://www.playhob.com/Tfts/egdTft.txt that's similar to Henry's at https://www.hcobb.com/tft/firepower.html . While his relative calculations were purposely boiled down to opposition by an endless line of optimal starting human characters, I tried adding in more cap stat complications.
How do you calculate for special features like only harmed by magic weapons or only by thrown spells?