Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-30-2018, 07:23 AM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: Does Detect only detect the nearest source?

What I normally use (see some designs in GURPS Powers: Enhanced Senses) to make a Detect function more like a normal sense in Reflexive. I figure that keeps it on all the time and/or turns it on when something significant is in range; so if you have it on, you spot the nearest significant source, but you go on sweeping the environment for other sources.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #12
Bruno

There's an interesting side effect to the "significant" source wording - take Detect (Life), for example. A single wandering ant probably isn't significant [1]. If someone has shrunk down to the size of an ant, are they significant?

Are they significant if they totally don't care about the person using Detect and their affairs, they just happen to be a tiny superhero on the way to a superheroing award ceremony?

Are they significant if they're a tiny superhero about to thwart your plans?

Without Analyzing, I suspect Detect (Life) considers "significant" to be mass or volume based, not intelligence, and definitely not motive.
If you're a life-detecting blob monster who eats life, you're probably mildly interested in the ant, and in Ant-Man (everything's on the menu!), but you definitely care about a big dog, as it's a big meal. And you probably don't analyze your results much because you're stupid, and you really only have simple interests anyways.

If you're a life-draining undead monster that preys on "the living", Ant-Man might actually be of more interest... but you'll need to analyze the results to realize that actually that tiny thing is a sapient being that would be satisfying to suck the life out of, rather than a tiny bug.

[1] At least outside. Inside it can signify the start of an ant problem, and makes me freak the eff out and buy a million ant traps and tape them to everything.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #13
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
There's an interesting side effect to the "significant" source wording - take Detect (Life), for example. A single wandering ant probably isn't significant [1]. If someone has shrunk down to the size of an ant, are they significant?.
Depends on what the Detect (Life) is actually detecting. The real thing this wording is trying to get at is that senses have a threshold - you can't generally smell one molecule, or even hear one blade of grass vibrating, but there's a concentration of them at which you can.

If it detects something like concentrations of enough biomolecules to scatter a sensor beam back, then no probably not, that's straight up mass dependent. If it detects a magical aura, quite possibly.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:52 AM   #14
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
The real thing this wording is trying to get at is that senses have a threshold - you can't generally smell one molecule, or even hear one blade of grass vibrating, but there's a concentration of them at which you can.
Would it be fair to apply the SSR table?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #15
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Would it be fair to apply the SSR table?
I always have, its a sense so takes normal sense modifiers. Well most of them, as different things may or may not block it
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
detect