Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Detect: What is covered by "minerals"?

Quote:
Very Common (all life, all supernatural phenomena and beings, all minerals, all energy): 30 points.
Minerals is a class that's as broad as all life or all energy. What does it cover and what are its limits.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Detect: What is covered by "minerals"?

My rough guideline would be "Anything naturally found in the ground except animals, plants, and earth (but including clay and sand).

Wikipedia says on the subject:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A mineral is a naturally occurring chemical compound, usually of crystalline form and abiogenic in origin. A mineral has one specific chemical composition. A mineral is different from a rock, which can be an aggregate of minerals or non-minerals and, therefore, does not have one specific chemical composition. The exact definition of a mineral is under debate, especially with respect to the requirement that a valid species be abiogenic, and to a lesser extent with regard to it having an ordered atomic structure.
Abiogenic means "not made by biological processes" - which is why I exclude earth. Earth is made of a significant amount of organic chemical compounds, in both the sense of "carbon chemistry" and in the older sense "made by life forms".
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

I think native sulfur rarely exists except as a byproduct of certain anaerobic organisms' respiration. But I would "hope" that if I brought that up in game, the detecting player or GM would glare and/or roll their eyes at me quite harshly.

Though I would think most people classify limestone as a mineral despite its biogenic nature.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
My rough guideline would be "Anything naturally found in the ground except animals, plants, and earth (but including clay and sand).
".
You want to exclude water and gasses at a minimum. It probably excludes liquid petroleum too.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #5
acrosome

In a lot of US law, groundwater is a mineral. :)

It's complicated...
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Minerals is a class that's as broad as all life or all energy. What does it cover and what are its limits.
It doesn't cover anything that is gaseous or liquid (or otherwise not solid), or anything alive or dead. Other than that, it's got everything covered
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It doesn't cover anything that is gaseous or liquid (or otherwise not solid), or anything alive or dead. Other than that, it's got everything covered
Magma and molten rock doesn't count as a mineral? I'm not arguing as I can see arguments for and against its inclusion.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Magma and molten rock doesn't count as a mineral?
Per the scientific definition, they don't have an ordered atomic structure (being liquids) and therefore can't be minerals. Less pedantically, like traditional solid "rocks", they still aren't "minerals" as they aren't a single chemical compound - they're a hetrogenous mix of different things.

THAT SAID. Since Detect doesn't operate by detecting only the closest single example of a thing (which would be stupid), I'm happy to allow it to detect rocks and sand, with the crude information of "a bunch of minerals in a solid/in sand/in gravel" and requiring analysis to pick apart as to what is what.

I'd stick to my guns on the "liquid things that might be minerals in another phase", same as I wouldn't let you detect them as gasses or plasmas.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #9
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Per the scientific definition, they don't have an ordered atomic structure (being liquids) and therefore can't be minerals. Less pedantically, like traditional solid "rocks", they still aren't "minerals" as they aren't a single chemical compound - they're a hetrogenous mix of different things.

THAT SAID. Since Detect doesn't operate by detecting only the closest single example of a thing (which would be stupid), I'm happy to allow it to detect rocks and sand, with the crude information of "a bunch of minerals in a solid/in sand/in gravel" and requiring analysis to pick apart as to what is what.

I'd stick to my guns on the "liquid things that might be minerals in another phase", same as I wouldn't let you detect them as gasses or plasmas.
How does that interact with the fact that Detect Chemical Substances is Occasional [10] (Enhanced Senses page 24)?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
How does that interact with the fact that Detect Chemical Substances is Occasional [10] (Enhanced Senses page 24)?
Ugh. That power should probably be written up in some other way. Detect chemicals is clearly Very Common.

Tags
detect