Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-11-2015, 04:44 AM   #241
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Yeah, you could do that. Remember, you can only have one such spell active at a time.
Better to skip anything that's not required... I still have to talk our witch into casting it (and buy him a grimiore)!

(Refplace is playing that Adept, so it shouldn't be difficult.)
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:37 AM   #242
Icelander

Default Gambler's Bane

How does one go about afflicting fellow gamblers with the inability to tell how much time has passed?

I'm talking about causing individuals with Absolute Timing to lose it and individuals with normal senses of time's passage to require an IQ roll in order not to severely underestimate how long they have been playing cards.

The ritual would also induce Euphoria, as the other gamblers become utterly engrossed in the play, but it is straightforward to work out the cost for that. Same for afflicting Compulsive Gambler.

What I do not know is how broad a category is it to bestow a penalty on Gambling skill, the aformentioned IQ roll to tell time and noticing or resisting mundane skill use and magical rituals that fall under the Trickster archtype, i.e. skills such as any Games, Hobby, Performance or a social skill used as a distraction, as well as Acting, Fast-Talk, Filch, Pickpocket and Sleight of Hand?

The rituals which would be resisted at a penalty would be some Path of Chance and Path of Mind rituals, but no rituals which caused any lasting physical harm* or actually controlled anyone's mind**.

I am aiming for a Moderate category, as this is much less broad than all Active Defences, but the other examples for Broad are far less sweeping than that and so this seems equivalent to them.

If the intended effect is too much for a Moderate category bonus, how could I narrow down the bestows a bonus category, while remaining true to the concept of the ritual?

A Broad category is too expensive, I feel, as this is supposed to be a very quick, subtle and easy preliminary ritual to make it possible for the caster to cheat at cards and/or use the ritual he actually intends to subject his targets to.

Also, how would one rate the duration 'until the caster stops playing cards'? It couldn't last any longer than until one or more of the participants made a successful IQ roll with a penalty for Euphoria and any penalty the ritual afflicted beyond that, to realise that he should get going. Major distractions that clearly require a response other than to keep playing*** would also end it. If nothing else, the caster falling asleep would do it.

*Beyond slight befuddlement, drowsiness or drunkenness which might persist for a while after the caster leaves.
**As opposed to influencing it.
***Anything that would be enough to stop marvellous sex would also cause the other gamblers to stop playing, I should imagine. Generally, being attacked or witnessing a blatant hostile move by the caster would be enough for an average person to snap out of it.

Last edited by Icelander; 01-11-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:04 AM   #243
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Gambler's Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
How does one go about afflicting fellow gamblers with the inability to tell how much time has passed?

I'm talking about causing individuals with Absolute Timing to lose it and individuals with normal senses of time's passage to require an IQ roll in order not to underestimate how long they have been playing cards.

The ritual would also induce Euphoria, as the other gamblers become utterly engrossed in the play, but it is straightforward to work out the cost for that.

What I do not know is how broad a category is it to bestow a penalty on Gambling skill, the aformentioned IQ roll to tell time and noticing or resisting mundane skill use and magical rituals that fall under the Trickster archtype, i.e. skills such as any Games, Hobby, Performance or social skill used as a distraction, as well as Acting, Fast-Talk, Filch, Pickpocket and Sleight of Hand?

The rituals which would be resisted at a penalty would be some Path of Chance and Path of Mind rituals, but no rituals which caused any lasting physical harm* or actually controlled anyone's mind**.

I am aiming for a Moderate category, as this is much less broad than all Active Defences, but the other examples for Broad are far less sweeping than that and so this seems equivalent to them.
Lesser Destroy mind should get you there with Altered Traits to remove Absolute Timing/Chronolocation. For everything you are describing this is definitely a broad category. If you feel the cost is still high check out this post by PK. I've already used it and it works great as a optional rule.

Quote:
Also, how would one rate the duration 'until the caster stops playing cards'? It couldn't last any longer than until one or more of the participants made a successful IQ roll with a penalty for Euphoria and any penalty the ritual afflicted beyond that, to realise that he should get going. Major distractions that clearly require a response other than to keep playing*** would also end it. If nothing else, the caster falling asleep would do it.
Use the rules for Conditional Termination (GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic, p. 18); in this case it would cost around 6 to 8 energy I think.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #244
Icelander

Quote:
Lesser Destroy mind should get you there with Altered Traits to remove Absolute Timing/Chronolocation.
Yes, but for people without Absolute Timing, I want them to be afflicted with the equivalent of 'Anti-Absolute Timing', i.e. absentmindedness about the passage of time.

There is no such trait, but I'm wondering, is it a Quirk? A heavily limited version of Absent-Minded, worth 2-4 points? A special effect of afflicting Compulsive Gambler and Euphoria while they play with Lesser Destroy Mind?

Quote:
For everything you are describing this is definitely a broad category. If you feel the cost is still high check out this post by PK. I've already used it and it works great as a optional rule.
It's perhaps best not to use Bestow a Penalty, then, as afflicting an Irritating condition like Tipsy, Drunk or Euphoria seems to get me a similar effect, but with much less cost.

Quote:
Use the rules for Conditional Termination (GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic, p. 18); in this case it would cost around 6 to 8 energy I think.
So a spell effect that requires to caster to sit down and play cards with his enemies, taking care that no one disturbs them with violence and that no one tumbles to the fact that he is bespelling them, and remaining stuck with them, unable to do anything else, while the spell duration lasts, is somehow more expensive to cast than one which just lasts six hours without any further effort from the caster?

That fails my plausibility and utility test.

The spell effectively has very limited duration, it lasts only while the ritual is being actively continued. Yes, it allows the casting of other spells in the same manner, through the medium of card magic, on the same targets. So is using Gambling and other skills to cheat. But the caster can do nothing else.

I'd peg it at between 3-4, myself, as it will be rare for any duration past that to actually matter in play. This may be useful for a distraction so that other PCs can do stuff, but that stuff would generally take under and hour and almost always less than three.

Last edited by Icelander; 01-11-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #245
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Yes, but for people without Absolute Timing, I want them to be afflicted with the equivalent of 'Anti-Absolute Timing', i.e. absentmindedness about the passage of time.

There is no such trait, but I'm wondering, is it a Quirk? A heavily limited version of Absent-Minded, worth 2-4 points? A special effect of afflicting Compulsive Gambler and Euphoria while they play with Lesser Destroy Mind?
A quirk is probably about right. Though if they have to play card I'd say a form of Compulsive Behavior might be more appropriate.

Quote:
So a spell effect that requires to caster to sit down and play cards with his enemies, taking care that no one disturbs them with violence and that no one tumbles to the fact that he is bespelling them, and remaining stuck with them, unable to do anything else, while the spell duration lasts, is somehow more expensive to cast than one which just lasts six hours without any further effort from the caster?

The spell effectively has very limited duration, it lasts only while the ritual is being actively continued. Yes, it allows the casting of other spells in the same manner, through the medium of card magic, on the same targets. So is using Gambling and other skills to cheat. But the caster can do nothing else.

I'd peg it at between 3-4, myself, as it will be rare for any duration past that to actually matter in play. This may be useful for a distraction so that other PCs can do stuff, but that stuff would generally take under and hour and almost always less than three.
Meh. You're the GM, decide what you like then. :-P

Become a Patron!
Old 01-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #246
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Better to skip anything that's not required... I still have to talk our witch into casting it (and buy him a grimiore)!

(Refplace is playing that Adept, so it shouldn't be difficult.)
Already noted on the sheet.
Crossroads and Chance are his best Paths.
Think the Hermit archetype meets Phantom Stranger for my goal.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #247
Refplace

Quote:
Hmm. I'd call this a Lesser Control Crossroads effect to "twist" space and allow the subject to immediately Move up to his Basic Move in yards away as long as he takes no other action. If he moved out of line of sight I'd give him a Stealth roll to hide.

Pretty sure this would need only a Lesser Effect and act as a Blocking spell, unless you want to reuse it continuously...then I guess a Greater effect would be needed and you'd have to make a Path/2 +3 roll for Active Defense to interpose it between you and the incoming attack.
Guess I am being too restrictive then, thinking Greater Effects for both.
But the GM Ericthered said lesser for off screen use of the Fast Step version so he likely will agree with you.
Utility of out of combat hidden Move is certainly low, and bared out by the limitations on Ghostly Movement.

Yeah I added the duration as its to expensive for a Blocking spell but will build another one using Lesser and see if I can pull it off too.
Takes 9 points in Ritual Mastery to counter that Instant use penalty too.
The Void power looks cool but is more active then I really want as his standard defense. Building a Cosmic Dodge with No Signature for a Stealth dodge where it looks like things just miss him and he stands there unperturbed.

Quote:
No. The Lesser Control Matter effect is already providing you a "squire" to help you done the armor "instantly."

Yeah, you could do that. Remember, you can only have one such spell active at a time.
Lesser Control Matter certainly can put the armor on, but instantly? Might need Lesser Crossroads to bend time for it. Normally I would go with Greater but as the GM and you are opting for Lesser for stuffing them in another dimension I think Lesser fits here too.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #248
Icelander

I must be blind, because I can't find this rule in T:RPM. What's the energy cost for giving the target a penalty to resist the ritual you are casting, but nothing else and no ongoing penalty?
Old 01-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #249
Refplace

Quote:
It's perhaps best not to use Bestow a Penalty, then, as afflicting an Irritating condition like Tipsy, Drunk or Euphoria seems to get me a similar effect, but with much less cost.

Seems to me Euphoria is a great fit, gives a penalty and "Time Flies when your having fun", at the least I would penalize Will to quit.
I would go with conditional termination as Ghostdancer suggests and it should not add anything.
Buy expected duration (10 minutes or an hour unless you want all nighters.
Then add the clause it ends as you describe, no Sense effect needed as those are all obvious things the caster and hence spell can notice.
You don't want to actually continue the Ritual as in recasting it every turn though so need a duration. Then you can do other spells while playing.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #250
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Takes 9 points in Ritual Mastery to counter that Instant use penalty too.
Fast-Casting from Pyramid #3/66 might be worth it.

Quote:
The Void power looks cool but is more active then I really want as his standard defense. Building a Cosmic Dodge with No Signature for a Stealth dodge where it looks like things just miss him and he stands there unperturbed.
That's a special effect.

Quote:
Lesser Control Matter certainly can put the armor on, but instantly? Might need Lesser Crossroads to bend time for it. Normally I would go with Greater but as the GM and you are opting for Lesser for stuffing them in another dimension I think Lesser fits here too.
Most Control effects can let you emulate tasks that can be done easily - but take time. That's why I said a Lesser Control Matter effect. Again, nothing animate or alive - that's definitely a Greater effect and do keep in mind that this is what I'd do if I were the GM. By the rules it's probably a Greater effect to teleport/create a pocket dimension regardless of its inhabitants. Maybe consider checking out my blog post on gatemakers.

Quote:
I must be blind, because I can't find this rule in T:RPM. What's the energy cost for giving the target a penalty to resist the ritual you are casting, but nothing else and no ongoing penalty?
By RAW...you can't really do that. How do you resist the spell badly if you have not been affected by the spell to resist it? I posited long ago that you can use Bestows a Penalty to give a penalty to just that spell's resistance and I've used it since the playtesting of MH1.

Become a Patron!

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology