Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2015, 09:47 PM   #221
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I've used the notion you can Fast Draw from Payload from this ruling of PKs

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...91&postcount=4
Huh. I rather like that actually.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #222
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Huh. I rather like that actually.
Do you think that Accessibility is the same value if it's 10 pieces of Sig Gear?
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #223
Kalzazz

I think if you buy it as sig gear then it should be okay

'Only my sig gear' is such a small subset of 'anything that fits' I'm down with it

----

Did the expanded description of what I hoped to accomplish with my spell help any understanding it? How would it actually be workable?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:28 PM   #224
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Do you think that Accessibility is the same value if it's 10 pieces of Sig Gear?
Yeah, you're already paying (an outrageous sum) of points for signature gear in the first place. Maybe -60%(ish) might be better if you're carrying around signature gear for the "Dozen Fabled Clubs of the Great Nicklaus" or some such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Did the expanded description of what I hoped to accomplish with my spell help any understanding it? How would it actually be workable?
That sounds like a Lesser Control Crossroads effect to me. Maybe once per "type" of portal in can open beyond the first.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #225
Refplace

Ok, this is inspired by a scene from the movie Excaliber and is like a 7 League Boots spell.
Fast Step
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Crossroads, Greater Create Crossroads
Inherent Modifiers: Duration, Range, Speed, Weight
Greater Effects: 1 (*3)
Typical Casting: Lesser Control Crossroads (5) + Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Subject, 300 lbs (3) + Range, 10y (4) + Speed, 10y (4) 69 energy (23*3)
Effective Skill -x (Crossroads-; )
Allows the subject to travel in short warps up to 10y each for 10 minutes with a typical casting. A 10 minute march would cover up to 3.4 miles

The scene showed the Knights marching off to battle and going through different scenery to indicate travel. Merlin was in each scene walking along with his staff.

Does it do what I describe?
Also for the duration can it be used like Blink Warp and let the subject dodge as a teleport using Crossroads?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #226
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

As a GM I'd encourage it being used only in mostly off-screen situations but the create cross roads effect being lesser...

I like the idea. in many cases you'll want to add area and more weight (to move a group for example)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #227
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Ok, this is inspired by a scene from the movie Excaliber and is like a 7 League Boots spell.
Fast Step
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Crossroads, Greater Create Crossroads
Inherent Modifiers: Duration, Range, Speed, Weight
Greater Effects: 1 (*3)
Typical Casting: Lesser Control Crossroads (5) + Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Subject, 300 lbs (3) + Range, 10y (4) + Speed, 10y (4) 69 energy (23*3)
Effective Skill -x (Crossroads-; )
Allows the subject to travel in short warps up to 10y each for 10 minutes with a typical casting. A 10 minute march would cover up to 3.4 miles

The scene showed the Knights marching off to battle and going through different scenery to indicate travel. Merlin was in each scene walking along with his staff.

Does it do what I describe?
Also for the duration can it be used like Blink Warp and let the subject dodge as a teleport using Crossroads?
You'd be better off with Enhanced Move (Ground) at around 4 rather than a teleportive/gate effect. If you gotta use a gate effect then him walking along like he did is a special effect and create it as a normal gate effect. Maybe as a Lesser effect if it has to use the Hyperjump times from Warp.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #228
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
As a GM I'd encourage it being used only in mostly off-screen situations but the create cross roads effect being lesser...

I like the idea. in many cases you'll want to add area and more weight (to move a group for example)
As your my GM I will do that then :)
Do you object to on screen gating though? If so then I will need to work on other ideas for defensive spells.

Quote:
You'd be better off with Enhanced Move (Ground) at around 4 rather than a teleportive/gate effect. If you gotta use a gate effect then him walking along like he did is a special effect and create it as a normal gate effect. Maybe as a Lesser effect if it has to use the Hyperjump times from Warp.
I was looking at a spell I could do in combat (hence the typical 10y range) and also use for long distance travel. One spell with both, would work well with a Charm and Ritual Mastery.
I would think Enhanced Move would still require a Greater Effect for that speed so why do you say its better?
By Hyperjump time, you mean a day? Not an answer for combat or the Batman move (Ghostly Movement) but I like it for long distance travel, Shadow Stepping for example.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #229
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
As your my GM I will do that then :)
Do you object to on screen gating though? If so then I will need to work on other ideas for defensive spells.
I object to rapid multiple gate creation in anything but ideal or high-powered circumstances. Unless you use both greater control and greater create you only get one gate per spell (or perhaps two or four at once in an odd configuration). And in a lot of cases I think a lesser control magic is requisite as well.

Blink will take a greater create crossroads, a greater control crossroads, and a lesser control magic. You should also add a lesser control chance if you don't want to end up in highly unfavorable situations (like warping 5 yards to the right and ending up with a tree limb through your chest). Even then for very perilous or cramped quarters use control chance. It will require a hard DX-based skill to activate and body sense role will also be required. Speed, Range, duration, and matter must also be included.

Blinking is incredibly difficult to pull off. You are on the fly creating a gate that grabs you (and just you) and puts you in a new location. Its also incredibly powerful. If you doubt its power, look at the fight in God Slayers in the PbP forum.

The Ritual would look like this:

Blink
Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads, Greater Control Crossroads, Lesser Control Magic, Lesser Strengthen Chance
Inherent Modifiers: Range, Speed, Weight, Duration
Typical Casting: Greater Create Crossroads(6) + Greater Control Crossroads(5) + Lesser Control Magic(5) + Lesser Strengthen Chance(5) + range-2 yards(0) + speed-2 yards(0) + duration -10 min (1) + subject weight-300lb (3) = 125 =25*5

Yeah, its a lot of energy. Its a very potent spell. If I'm doing this wrong please let me know (forum in general and in particular the RPM guru)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #230
the_matrix_walker

If one wanted to make a ritual to make Armor lighter like the Lighten spell (or an even better version), How would you go about it?

Would this be a Transform Matter effect, or could you use Control to basically use movement to make it neutrally buoyant in air? Or is it better to use Greater control Energy to make gravity have less impact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Blinking is incredibly difficult to pull off. You are on the fly creating a gate that grabs you (and just you) and puts you in a new location. Its also incredibly powerful. If you doubt its power, look at the fight in God Slayers in the PbP forum.
Yeah, that guy's a pain in the butt... He's really good at picking a fight and then fleeing it! Ward keeps kicking his tail when he stands still long enough tho...

--------------------------EDIT--------------------

Never mind my original question, I found it...

Quote:
This is from a campaign grimoire:

Lighten Burden
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: None.
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

This spell is usually cast on a container such as a backpack or trunk weight no more than 100 lbs. For the next day the weight of the container and everything within is halved.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Energy (5) + Duration, 1 day (7) + Subject Weight, 100 lbs. (2). 14 energy (14x1).

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 01-09-2015 at 03:49 PM.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology