Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
The interface was massively overhauled, but the directions are generally the same. I'd have to reinstall Linux to figure out the exact steps, though. When I last tried Ubuntu (last week or so) it worked fine.
There's definitely a few steps missing at stage 4 then - because there was nothing I could find anywhere in the program that popped up that involved anything like what you mention. I did a lot of browsing around, too :/
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
There's definitely a few steps missing at stage 4 then - because there was nothing I could find anywhere in the program that popped up that involved anything like what you mention. I did a lot of browsing around, too :/
I'll reinstall Linux (probably OpenSuSE) in the next few days and edit the original post about the procedure. I'm sure you've seen on the other thread about Linux that I'm not too happy with the course Ubuntu is taking.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
I'll reinstall Linux (probably OpenSuSE) in the next few days and edit the original post about the procedure. I'm sure you've seen on the other thread about Linux that I'm not too happy with the course Ubuntu is taking.
Personally, I use Ubuntu still, but the next time I format my netbook, it's going to be Debian. Less newbie friendly (but Debian has improved a lot since I last installed it, and Ubuntu is like Windows, making easier the easy, and much more complicated the hard). I like the Debian flavor of Linux, and the package manager is one work of art.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
panton41

I updated the directions above. Try them out now.

Quote:
Old 05-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #15
Bruno

Quote:
I updated the directions above. Try them out now.
Thanks, I'll do that when I get home - a quick glance over reminds me quite a bit about what I saw when I was trying to flail around on my own, so it looks very promising.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #16
JollyRog3r

Just followed the steps on my arch linux, with the gca previously installed. Since i installed it on the default .wine folder, i skipped the WINEPREFIX stuff.

Worked just fine. Some minor bugs, and its defitely slower than in my virtualized win7, but still better than run a vbox just to do this ;D

thnx for the help ^^
JollyRog3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 AM   #17
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRog3r View Post
Just followed the steps on my arch linux, with the gca previously installed. Since i installed it on the default .wine folder, i skipped the WINEPREFIX stuff.

Worked just fine. Some minor bugs, and its defitely slower than in my virtualized win7, but still better than run a vbox just to do this ;D

thnx for the help ^^
If GCA is the only thing you're going to use under Wine that's fine, but if you install much else it will probably break the install.

The reason comes down to the fact that Windows is a heck of a lot smarter than Wine. When a program installs in Windows it puts the system-level DLLs into their own little cache so when that program runs it opens the ones connected to it (as a remedy to "DLL hell"). Wine doesn't have that and the DLLs get overwritten instead. That's why I recommended putting it into a WINEPREFIX.

The speed issue is probably our old "friend" Visual Basic 6. Wine is basically having to emulate two different systems (the Visual Basic interpreter and Windows itself) doing one or the other is fine (VB6 on Windows isn't terrible and native compile Windows code in Wine is fine) but you put them both together and it's a dog.

Quote:
Old 08-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #18
JollyRog3r

Quote:
If GCA is the only thing you're going to use under Wine that's fine, but if you install much else it will probably break the install.

The reason comes down to the fact that Windows is a heck of a lot smarter than Wine. When a program installs in Windows it puts the system-level DLLs into their own little cache so when that program runs it opens the ones connected to it (as a remedy to "DLL hell"). Wine doesn't have that and the DLLs get overwritten instead. That's why I recommended putting it into a WINEPREFIX.

The speed issue is probably our old "friend" Visual Basic 6. Wine is basically having to emulate two different systems (the Visual Basic interpreter and Windows itself) doing one or the other is fine (VB6 on Windows isn't terrible and native compile Windows code in Wine is fine) but you put them both together and it's a dog.
Yeah, i'll re-configure everything, but i wanted to test first.

Anyway, thnx for the help ^^

SJGames should have done it as multi-plataform system, its not all that hard :P
JollyRog3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #19
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRog3r View Post
Yeah, i'll re-configure everything, but i wanted to test first.

Anyway, thnx for the help ^^

SJGames should have done it as multi-plataform system, its not all that hard :P
Technically speaking SJ Games didn't write it. From what I understand Armin was writing it as a fan utility for years and was approached by SJ Games who blessed it as the official version rather than rewrite their in-house character creation program for GURPS 4th Ed.

There is probably a total rewrite of GCA in the stars in the next couple years (Windows 8 drops support for VB6 runtimes) and Armin has states he's seeking out a cross-platform development platform, probably centered around the Visual Basic syntax. (My vote's been on VB.NET with a focus on a .NET subset compatible with Mono.)

Quote:
Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #20
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Technically speaking SJ Games didn't write it. From what I understand Armin was writing it as a fan utility for years and was approached by SJ Games who blessed it as the official version rather than rewrite their in-house character creation program for GURPS 4th Ed.
Mostly correct, except I don't believe there was an in-house character creation program. AFAIK GURPS Character Builder was a contracted work as well.

Quote:
There is probably a total rewrite of GCA in the stars in the next couple years (Windows 8 drops support for VB6 runtimes) and Armin has states he's seeking out a cross-platform development platform, probably centered around the Visual Basic syntax. (My vote's been on VB.NET with a focus on a .NET subset compatible with Mono.)
Likely there will have to be at some point. Of course, who knows, MS might blink and include VB6 support in Win8; or the world might end before that in 2012...
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 10-05-2012 at 06:00 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux