Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
endril

Default Mate card used in combat on Stoned Golem

Hello everyone,

It's my first post here and my friends and I are quite noobish at playing Munchkin, so sorry for any stupid things I might write in ignorance. We've come upon quite an unusual situation during gameplay, and we'd need your expert advice to untangle it:
  1. I kicked the door to reveal a Stoned Golem (You may choose whether to fight the Stoned Golem or just wave, walk past and let him keep his treasure. Exception: Halflings look tasty and must fight).
  2. An opponent played Mate (Another monster appears, of the same Level and with all the same Monster Enhancers. If the monsters are defeated, draw treasure for each and go up levels for each.)
  3. Another player (half-breed, elf/halfling) joined the battle to support me
  4. Someone else played Pretty Balloons (+5 to either side, usable only once) - on the Stoned Golem.

And now, here is the list of questions:
  1. Does Pretty Balloons apply to both golems (original and mate), so that we would need to face 14*2 + 5*2 combined monster power?
  2. Is the mate of the Stoned Golem automatically joining the fight, or can I just choose not to fight it at all? If I might be able to do that, since the one helping me is half-halfling it would still mean that we need to fight both monsters either way, right?
  3. If I use Hireling (Allows you to carry and use one extra item, even if you could not otherwise. If you lose your Hireling, the item goes, too. You may discard your Hireling for an automatic escape from any monster.) to escape the monster, do I escape both of them (the overall fight) or just one of them and I still have to fight the other? In case we still have to fight the remaining monster, in case we win the battle can we get the treasures from that one monster? What about the one that we got away from (from what I understand it would be impossible to loot him since he wasn't killed, but it's worth asking)?

Finally, one question on the Hireling, that does not necessarily relate to the purpose of this discussion: does this card give you the right to wear an item that you couldn't normally due to your race/class (i.e. wear an Elf only item if you're a Human) or wear gear that you wouldn't normally have room for (i.e. an extra Armor so that you'd have two Armors on the table, or one 1 handed sword and one 2 handed sword at the same time)?

Thank you very much for your time and assistance, much appreciated!

Have a great day, everyone!
endril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Mate card used in combat on Stoned Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by endril View Post
Does Pretty Balloons apply to both golems (original and mate), so that we would need to face 14*2 + 5*2 combined monster power?
No. It applies to the monster side. The combined combat strength is 14*2 + 5.

Quote:
Is the mate of the Stoned Golem automatically joining the fight, or can I just choose not to fight it at all? If I might be able to do that, since the one helping me is half-halfling it would still mean that we need to fight both monsters either way, right?
All monsters immediately join fights, but you can choose to ignore a Stoned Golem or its mate at any time throughout the combat. You are correct that you must fight both of them in this case, unless the Half-Elf-Hireling decides to discard one of his Race cards. The Stoned Golem and it's Mate will ignore both a Half-Elf or a Half-Halfing if they want to be ignored, but not a Halfling or a Half-Elf-Halfling, as the Stoned Golem's ability is a disadvantage of being a Halfling.

Quote:
If I use Hireling (Allows you to carry and use one extra item, even if you could not otherwise. If you lose your Hireling, the item goes, too. You may discard your Hireling for an automatic escape from any monster.) to escape the monster, do I escape both of them (the overall fight) or just one of them and I still have to fight the other? In case we still have to fight the remaining monster, in case we win the battle can we get the treasures from that one monster? What about the one that we got away from (from what I understand it would be impossible to loot him since he wasn't killed, but it's worth asking)?
If Munchkin is the only set you are playing with, it will only allow you to escape one monster. Once you get a different set or an expansion with different types of Hirelings (e.g., Munchkin 4,5 or 8), then you can actually use one to escape all the monsters, and let your partner escape too if you want (it is defined in the rules of those sets). Without those sets, you follow the rule on the card, though.

In order to automatically escape a monster, you must first declare you have lost the combat. You cannot reverse this decision, so you cannot Run Away from one of them by discarding a Hireling and then fight the other one. You either defeat them both (waving at them with no Halfling in the battle is one method of defeat for the Stoned Golem) or Run Away from them both.

Quote:
Finally, one question on the Hireling, that does not necessarily relate to the purpose of this discussion: does this card give you the right to wear an item that you couldn't normally due to your race/class (i.e. wear an Elf only item if you're a Human) or wear gear that you wouldn't normally have room for (i.e. an extra Armor so that you'd have two Armors on the table, or one 1 handed sword and one 2 handed sword at the same time)?
Yes, it does. You can treat it like a Cheat! card that also gives you a +1 bonus.

Last edited by Clipper; 01-22-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
endril

Thanks a lot for the very fast and useful answer, it's really enlightening! I've added some more comments below:

Quote:
No. It applies to the monster side. The combined combat strength is 14*2 + 5.
Thank you, that's clear.

Quote:
All monsters immediately join fights, but you can choose to ignore a Stoned Golem or its mate at any time throughout the combat.
Does this mean that even if we initially decided to fight, we can choose to no longer fight at any given point in the combat? It does seem overpowering :)

Quote:
You are correct that you must fight both of them in this case, unless the Half-Elf-Hireling decides to discard one of his Race cards.
Can you discard a race time at any time during combat? I thought that you could only do this at the beginning of the combat, as per this line in the rules:

"At the start of your turn, you may play cards, switch items
from “in use” to “carried” or vice versa, trade items with other
players, and sell items for levels. When your cards are arranged
the way you want, go to phase 1."

However, it is true that this does not clearly state when you can discard any of the cards - so can this be done even in the heat of combat? Because wouldn't this make it so that you never get the downsides from a class/race, by just dismissing it whenever in peril?

Quote:
The Stoned Golem and it's Mate will ignore both a Half-Elf or a Half-Halfing if they want to be ignored, but not a Halfling or a Half-Elf-Halfling, as the Stoned Golem's ability is a disadvantage of being a Halfling.

I don't quite understand why they will ignore a Half-Halfling and not a Half-Elf-Halfling, isn't half of the character a halfling either way?

Quote:
If Munchkin is the only set you are playing with, it will only allow you to escape one monster. Once you get a different set or an expansion with different types of Hirelings (e.g., Munchkin 4,5 or 8), then you can actually use one to escape all the monsters, and let your partner escape too if you want (it is defined in the rules of those sets). Without those sets, you follow the rule on the card, though.
Thanks, we're playing the original set so it means we'll only escape one monster. Depending on your answers to the new questions above, as we may not need to do it either way :)

Quote:
In order to automatically escape a monster, you must first declare you have lost the combat. You cannot reverse this decision, so you cannot Run Away from one of them by discarding a Hireling and then fight the other one. You either defeat them both (waving at them with no Halfling in the battle is one method of defeat for the Stoned Golem) or Run Away from them both.
So, extrapolating to a battle where you can't waive to the monster to go by, using the Hireling is impossible as you can only use it to escape one monster, but you either have to fight them both or run away from them both? You can't just fight one and escape the other, right? Is this somewhere in the rules, because we can't find it...?

Quote:
Yes, it does. You can treat it like a Cheat! card that also gives you a +1 bonus.
Thanks, it's clear.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by endril View Post
Does this mean that even if we initially decided to fight, we can choose to no longer fight at any given point in the combat? It does seem overpowering :)
The Stoned Golem says you can choose to ignore it. There is absolutely no statement on the card that gives you a specific window for when you could choose to ignore it. So, if someone makes it too difficult to beat, you can just ignore it. Bear in mind, this is only with respect to the Stoned Golem. Normally, you can't pick and choose which Monsters you are going to fight.

Quote:
Can you discard a race time at any time during combat? I thought that you could only do this at the beginning of the combat, as per this line in the rules:

"At the start of your turn, you may play cards, switch items
from “in use” to “carried” or vice versa, trade items with other
players, and sell items for levels. When your cards are arranged
the way you want, go to phase 1."

However, it is true that this does not clearly state when you can discard any of the cards - so can this be done even in the heat of combat? Because wouldn't this make it so that you never get the downsides from a class/race, by just dismissing it whenever in peril?
The rules actually are very specific about when you can discard certain types of cards. Concerning Races and Classes, they specifically say that they may be discarded at any time, even during combat. They also say that may be played at any time on your turn, or when they are first received (e.g., as Charity).

As for the rule you are quoting, all that specifically says is that before you kick open the door, you may play cards, arrange your equipment, etc., not that you must start your turn, as you are, by kicking open the door.

Quote:
I don't quite understand why they will ignore a Half-Halfling and not a Half-Elf-Halfling, isn't half of the character a halfling either way?
Half-breed says that when you have only one Race on it, you get all the advantages of the Race, but you don't suffer any of its disadvantages, while when you have two Races attached, you have the advantages and disadvantages of both. Being unable to ignore a Monster because of your Race would be a disadvantage, so a Half-Breed Halfling would be able to ignore Stoned Golem, while a Half-Breed Elf/Halfling or a purebred Halfling could not.

Quote:
So, extrapolating to a battle where you can't waive to the monster to go by, using the Hireling is impossible as you can only use it to escape one monster, but you either have to fight them both or run away from them both? You can't just fight one and escape the other, right? Is this somewhere in the rules, because we can't find it...?
The rules explain that when you Run Away from the Monsters, you Run Away from each separately, which means that you must roll to Run Away from each Monster, not one roll for the whole set. If you choose to use a card which lets you automatically escape from one Monster, you would still have to roll to Run Away from the other.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
endril

Hi Erik,

Many thanks for your reply, everything is now completely clear :)

Have a great day!

Tags
hireling, mate, stoned golem