Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Funkboy

Default New player question

I recently went to my first ever convention: DucKon, and played Star Munchin and Munchkin Chuthulu and enjoyed it very much. I did not have enough money at the time to buy the game at the convention, so I am thinking about buying it online. I would like to know, if I should buy expansion sets at the time of purchase, and how many. (Just had my birthday and have $100 to blow, but some of that might go towards Settlers of Catan) Thanks in advance!
Funkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
Blu

Default Re: New player question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkboy View Post
I recently went to my first ever convention: DucKon, and played Star Munchin and Munchkin Chuthulu and enjoyed it very much. I did not have enough money at the time to buy the game at the convention, so I am thinking about buying it online. I would like to know, if I should buy expansion sets at the time of purchase, and how many. (Just had my birthday and have $100 to blow, but some of that might go towards Settlers of Catan) Thanks in advance!
Personally, I always liked to buy a core set and one expansion so you have all the odd and even leveled monsters. Then we went from there.

But you don't have to do that. For variety, you may want to buy 2-3 core sets (not knowing how much Catan costs).
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
DoomDoomDoom

If you have 100 bucks to drop, you might be interested in what I just did. Only core set I have is Super Munchkin (with the Great S Cape), but was looking for more, so I picked up a ton of Munchkin Cthulhu stuff including 2, plushies, and kill-o-meters. Found a place that had free shipping after buying so much, then went from there.

If you're interested in the original (that is "fantasy") Munchkin, look for the 19th printing of the set, as it is in color and has other goodies in the printing. The add-on expansions are also in the process of a new printing.

My suggestion is to get maybe 2 core sets and expansions, and something for level counters (some d10s maybe) and the Kill-O-Meters. If you can find something that will give you an in-game bonus, that wouldn't hurt. ;)
DoomDoomDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Munchkin 2, Munchkin 3, Super Munchkin and Munchkin Bites! reprints are probably in most (if not all) U.S. stores by now. I say most because it depends on how much old stock was lying around in distributor warehouse and store shelves. The new printings of Munchkin 2 and Munchkin 3 mention that they have full-color cards on the front of the box.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Funkboy

I think I will get Munchkin 1+2 and get more along the way. Also, I got the Munchkin app, so I have counters and things to help me!
Funkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkboy View Post
I think I will get Munchkin 1+2 and get more along the way. Also, I got the Munchkin app, so I have counters and things to help me!
Sounds like a great start! Enjoy!
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote