Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 05-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
Ragabash Moon

Default Changing Threshold of Threshold Magery?

The suggested "threshold" in the book for Threshold Magery is 30, but what if I want to make it higher, or lower (as default, I realize an individual can raise it with an advantage?) Is there a way to do that, or do I need to manually edit the Thaumaturgy file?

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Changing Threshold of Threshold Magery?

If you're making the change for one character then you can Edit the attribute in the Attributes tab, going to the Table View (in the lower-left corner of the Attributes tab).

If you want it to apply to all characters then yes, you will need to do a data file modification. I recommend against making changes to the official data files, since changes will be reverted if you ever do a Data Update (and there is one coming along, slowly but soonish). So that means creating a custom data file.

Fortunately, these are very easy to create, especially for relatively basic changes such as this. You will need a text editor; Notepad will do, or a more advanced one such as Notepad++ can be installed.

Simply insert the following into Notepad and save as MyDataFile.GDF and then load it into your Data Set somewhere after the Thaumatology data file. You will need to change the values of the basevalue() tags to suit your needs.
Code:
Version=3
* The version information above MUST be the first line of the data file

[ATTRIBUTES]
Threshold, maxscore(240), minscore(1), display(no),
	basevalue(@int(240/ST:Recovery Rate::basescore))

Recovery Rate, maxscore(240), minscore(1), up(0), down(0), step(1), display(no),
	basevalue(8)
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
Ragabash Moon

Ah okay thanks and yeah if simply editing it on the character works, I might just do that although the custom datafile thing works too... I have one already for some other stuff generated by the "save as template" option, can I just add this in, or should I make a separate data file for it? (Haven't actually opened it up to look at it to see if it has that version #)

EDIT: Hmm might need to do the custom data file actually, for some reason direct editing refuses to save when I hit OK.

EDIT 2: Also, sorry I'm a bit confused where is the "30" in that? Put it this way, I'm thinking of making the base threshold for my campaign 50. How would I edit for that?

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.

Last edited by Ragabash Moon; 05-13-2016 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Further info and follow up.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
ericbsmith

The default assumption isn't that Threshold be 30, it's that threshold*recovery rate = 240. The data file is set up the reverse way around, with threshold being 240/recovery rate. This means that, with the default settings, you can increase/decrease Recovery Rate in the Attributes tab and it will automatically adjust Threshold to the the appropriate multiplier.

If you want to change it from the default you would simply replace the entire contents of the basevalue() tag with your desired number or formula.

Version=3
* The version information above MUST be the first line of the data file
Code:
[ATTRIBUTES]
Threshold, maxscore(240), minscore(1), display(no),
	basevalue(50)

Recovery Rate, maxscore(240), minscore(1), up(0), down(0), step(1), display(no),
	basevalue(8)
Kaboom-baya.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:55 AM   #5
Ragabash Moon

Yeah, thanks I finally figured out how that 'math' works, so I (manually per character, not going to change it in the datafiles) set it to 50 Threshold and 5 recovery (that way players CAN do more, but if they do they are going to take more time to recover.)

Old 05-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
ericbsmith

Note that the default rule would suggest that Thresh 48 RR 5 would be appropriate, and you can get that value simply by going to the Attributes tab and using the up/down spin buttons to set RR to 5.
Kaboom-baya.

Tags
gca, magery, thaumaturgy, threshold magic