Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Default [IW] Cavemen and Pillagers(Vikings) in commercials...actual minority

Odd INFINITE WORLDS idea or brainstorm angle I had recently.....

Homeline forces, Miracle Workers, and other Infinity Patrol, types often rescue natives of other timelines in emergencies - right?

Well then, In the Homeline setting, both the GEICO Cavemen and the Capital One 'Pillagers' (used to be Vikings) might actually be true minorities in the United States. They found jobs with those two credit card companies (the Homeline versions) after they were rescued from potential catastrophes on their respective parallels.

This idea has been perculating with me for awhile. A few months back a friend of mine said she thought the Cavemen commercial;s were racist but that most people didn't realize it. So then I pictured a "CADL" in the world to protest strerotyped cliche images in thoser commercials. Thats the Caveman Anti-Defamation League of course.

The Pillagers are probably just really happy they found a new, safe planet to party on.

- Ed Charlton

The cavemen:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEICO_Cavemen

The Pillagers/Vikings/Visigoths:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhoma...eature=related
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
somecallmetim

Default Re: [IW] Cavemen and Pillagers(Vikings) in commercials...actual minority

I like it. That's the kind of weird thing that makes IW so much fun to play.
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
panton41

Default Re: [IW] Cavemen and Pillagers(Vikings) in commercials...actual minority

I think the Geico caveman is the liquid reservoir of a feminine hygiene product.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
This idea has been perculating with me for awhile. A few months back a friend of mine said she thought the Cavemen commercial;s were racist but that most people didn't realize it.
I suspect that we could all learn something interesting about your friend's worldview if you were to get her to elaborate for a minute on how a story featuring a primitive group that doesn't actually exist anymore and has no demonstrable greater connection to any single current ethnic group than to any other can possibly relate in any way to modern race relations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
The Pillagers are probably just really happy they found a new, safe planet to party on.
This one bruises my SOD a little. These guys are defined by what they do to others (all of which, from what we see, is aggressively antisocial) rather than who they are. Why would anybody go to the trouble of a humanitarian evacuation for them?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Captain-Captain

The Cavemen have the (secret) Enemy of "The Geico Gecko". Racial memories of his ancestors being hunted down, skewered alive on spits and eaten as soon as 'crunchy charred' have made his inner reptilain brain, okay, his Reptilain Brain, paranoid about them, thus Geico's advertising campaign is warring against the Cavemen, and like the kid in Eerie, Indiana, ONLY ONE CAVEMAN REALIZES IT!

pity we can't have the late Don Fontaine announce that statement.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
The Cavemen have the (secret) Enemy of "The Geico Gecko".

pity we can't have the late Don Fontaine announce that statement.
Well, the cavemen already have negative feelings for the company, so I guess it would be natural for some sort of hostility to be directed at its representatives.

"In a world... There, I said it. Happy?"
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds