Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #61
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Infinite worlds: The Earth of Shadowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
your forget tho same said book burns, even when they burnt books, they did not burn every copy
That was sarcasm. The Catholic Church has never, to my knowledge, burned books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
areguin "good science practice" being a reason for doing some before the scientific method was invited does not sound wired to you?
The scientific method was more "codfied" than "invented". It arose from a long tradition of scholarship and rationality (much of it created and nurtured by the Church, incidently), and one of the earliest tenets was that evidence was required to give strength to a theory. Heraclitus et al. weren't able to gather the information necessary to prove their theory of heliocentrism, so scholars quite justifiably refused to accept it.

Edit: Sorry, Walkir, I didn't see your request before I replied. I'll drop it. My apologies.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #62
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkir

But only a real problem for people with the "unique"-disadvantage. Everyone else's double might have a SIN (and raise questions why Mr.X is in his office and in some mall at the same time...) or not.
Existence of parachronic doubles is highly variable. Some worlds have bizarrely high levels of similarity despite other differences (i.e. United States of Lizardia).

Other have no one-for-one doubles even though they are relatively similar and some have one-for one matching up to the divergence point and then they have none (i.e. Britannica-6).

It's one of those parachronic mysteries and there just isn't any guarantee that Patrolmen will have doubles. The exception is if they have the Temporal Inertia Ad (if allowed in the campaign).
Old 03-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #63
gjc8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin
Infinity doesn't even have any reason to build projectors anywhere but Homeline. Projectors on Homeline are used to send and receive conyeyors from Q3,4, 6 and 7 worlds but there's no set-up that requires a projector on both ends. nothing but conveyors ever goes out.

You'd need to do something strange like take a convoy of semis on I-776 (IW p.79) to build a projector on a Q-2 world to even try and find a situation where you could and did need to build another projector.
If you had a projector on a Q-3 world that worked like it did on Homeline, you could use it to reach Q-2 and Q-1 worlds. The only problem is that projectors don't work except on Homeline and Centrum. And maybe Shikaku-mon, since it is the only world besides Homeline and Centrum which is at the same date.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #64
DocRailgun

Yeah, if people think the Patrol are afraid of dragons, wait until they find out about Verjigorm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
You're thinking of Ghostwalker. Frankly, though, I don't think it would bother the Patrol any more than a lot of other stuff that goes on in Shadowrun. If they're already aware of the world, they would know about the metaplanes and the potential to travel there. And that great dragons can do freaky, dangerous things. :-)
DocRailgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #65
Darekun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRailgun View Post
Yeah, if people think the Patrol are afraid of dragons, wait until they find out about Verjigorm.
On that note, it could be awesome to have a group of ISWAT trying to infiltrate SR Seattle from a squat in the Barrens while marked by Ysrthgrathe…
Darekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #66
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRailgun View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure that Verjigorm would be that much worse than other stuff the Patrol has seen. They've encountered Cthulu-level threats before. The great dragons, on the other hand, are ridiculously powerful, both physically and magically, enormously intelligent, and desperately power-hungry. And they're loose and perhaps most importantly, interested in humans. Something like Cthulu or Verjigorm, they don't care that much about the average person, since the scale is so much different. If you can escape their immediate vicinity, you can probably survive. But the greats are close enough to your level to regard you as an individual. Which means you're an individual threat.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #67
davidtmoore

Quote:
Wycliffe's bible? :)

The goblinization thing is tricky. In the SR universe, the first elves and dwarves are born in 2012, after the start of the Sixth Age; while children born in 2012 first goblinize about ten years later.

I'd argue that it's not even just a matter of where you evolved etc.; specifically, you can only goblinize if you were conceived/born of SR-Earth parents in a normal-mana environment.

But an agent contracting HMHVV might be funny.
davidtmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #68
David Johnston2

Quote:
This is true. While priests and bishops of the Catholic Church have ordered the burning of books, the Catholic Church itself has not. Churches don't burn books. People who are in charge of churches burn books!
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #69
DAT

A stray thought on the topic of the Cabal response to Great Dragons; I'd ask the question: What makes you think that there aren't Great Dragons as senior members in the Cabal already? ...
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #70
walkir

Quote:
The great dragons, on the other hand, are ridiculously powerful, both physically and magically, enormously intelligent, and desperately power-hungry. And they're loose and perhaps most importantly, interested in humans.
Yeah, a great eastern Dragon gives the German word "Intelligenzbestie" (brainiac, but consisting of the words for "intelligence" and "beast") a completely new meaning...
walkir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds