Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #11
aesir23

Default Re: Infinite Worlds & GURPS Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Or for that matter there the Indian folktale I just read in which two surviving hunters realize that the old woman in their lodge is a vampiric monster, so they defeat it with hatchets and set the lodge on fire, only to have it escape and come after them, attacking them repeatedly as they try to find the achilles heel of its unkillability. Yes, 19th century Indians had the script for The Terminator.
I would love to read this story, can you link to it?
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #12
The_Nightwatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
I agree with the general point, but not with one of the specific examples. I don;t think GURPS Action meshes well with Horror ... at least, not if you want to have scenes of actual terror instead of high-caliber monster bashing. My own experience and opinion; YMMV.
It can be done, although it isn't easy. When my brother GM's our campaign, he will frequently bring in Cthulhian elements. Our 700+ point characters have beaten the snot out of the cults and lesser manifestations; but every once in awhile something bigger gets in, and most of our characters have some really interesting disadvantages now. (Our homegrown rules include building up permanent penalties and increasingly lower auto-failure numbers for Cthulhian fright checks.)

I.e., it's Action with the lower-level stuff; but knowing that failing to stop the plotters can end up bringing in something no one can handle can give a really nice undertone of dread. Especially when the PCs think they've stopped them and find out that was only the tip of the iceberg...
The_Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I would love to read this story, can you link to it?
Sorry dude, it was a <shudder> book: http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Myths-L.../dp/0889224587
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #14
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Well, GURPS Action/Horror would be mainly about the PCs kicking the crap out of horror-movie monsters, which would still be considered a type of horror. Just not a particularly scary type. :)
GURPS Buffy the Vampire Slayer?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
Voltron64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
Hmm.. Let's see, Cinematic Action involving battles on top of Ironclad Airships; fighting hordes of mummies on top of a pyramid in a world where the Aztec empire conquered all of America; having a gunfight against Wyatt Earp himself..

...Yeah, I think GURPS Action is definitely compatible with Infinite Worlds.
Plus, add in the soundtrack for the 1980 Flash Gordon Movie and it gets into all kinds of awesome!
Voltron64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #16
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Sorry dude, it was a <shudder> book: http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Myths-L.../dp/0889224587
Great Northwest!

ARRRRR!
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds