Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-27-2020, 03:04 AM   #1
mwobbles

Default Opinion: The Floating Nose card is racist and should be removed from the game.

Okay, so I used to love Munchkin and I’ve now started playing the original version with my six-year-old son, who loves it and requests it every night during family board games time.

When playing a game recently, I noticed the text on a card that I’d seen many times before, but I guess I hadn’t paid attention to it. This card is the Floating Nose, which says: “If you don’t want to fight the Floating Nose, you can bribe it with an item worth at least 200 gold pieces, and it will let you go.”

This card immediately struck me as being blatantly racist and offensive. I mean... the “Nose” and the bribery with 200 gold pieces? Seriously? I can’t be the only person who sees this, right? My co-parent agrees that it is in fact racist and I’m not imagining things, but when I went to Google to see if anyone else had pointed this out or called this particular card into question, I found nothing.

How is it possible that this card hasn’t been removed from the game? Does anyone else find this shockingly racist?
mwobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Opinion: The Floating Nose card is racist and should be removed from the game.

MODERATOR NOTE: Because of this post, I am asking everyone except the original post and Munchkin staff not to reply to this post, at least under we're able to get some clarity and figure out what the disconnect might be. Thank you.

To the original poster: I am not using your understanding of what you see in racing on the Floating Nose, in any way. The intent of the Floating Nose, as create back in 2001, is a card making parody on the Floating Eye, or the beholder from D&D. In the almost 20 years since, this is the very discussion we've had this argument about the Floating Nose card, so I have to ask you to explain what racism type you have found about this card, because we're stumped about what it is you're seeing about this card.

Obviously, if you are finding a card, we want you to remove it from YOUR card. We have no intention of people choosing to keep cards that you fight as inappropriate, for any reason. But I want to know whether we have managed to overlook a more broad insult, because no one else has been resulted about this card to anyone at SJ Games.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote