Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Occultation, how to model it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
What else is the enhancement for Invisibility for? Basic Invisibility already covers the whole EM spectrum, and would have to be limited not to cover, for example, infrared or even radar.
The way I like to read it is "any other type of vision the GM allows". Allowing it to work for (absolutely) any other sense at the cost of a mere +20% enhancement seems too cheap. That's just me, AIS.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Langy

How many points would you call 'undetectable by smell' or 'undetectable by sound'? Note that sonar is a canonically appropriate use of 'extended', and should probably apply to normal sound as well (for the same reason stock invisibility also includes radar).
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #13
Fnordianslip

If I remember correctly, Terrain Adaptation and a couple other advantages just use a +300% modifier to apply to all situations. I'd probably just do the same for Invisibility and call it a day.

Occultation [204 Points]
Invisibility with
Can Carry Objects (Heavy Enc), +100%
Cosmic (Works vs. all forms of detection), +300%
Switchable, +10%
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
... there's no other ability, even Obscure, that's a non-area-effect 'invisibility'-type power, since you can't make Obscure have no AoE...
RPK has suggested "No Area Effect, -50%" for Obscure. I'm not sure if it's made it into the RAW anywhere yet. I prefer -30% for naked, and -20% to cover only you and your gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
... Besides, 'Immune to the sense of Smell (Affects Machines, +50%) [60]' sounds like it's too much, not too little. Same with just about any other sense besides vision...How many points would you call 'undetectable by smell' or 'undetectable by sound'?
Obscure treats all senses as worth the same, but I think a method to consider for determining the fair value of Invisibility applied to other senses would be the ratio between disadvantages which remove senses: Blindness [-50], Deafness [-20], and No Sense of Smell/Taste [-5]. With Affects Machines and Extra-Heavy Encumbrance ([120] for Invisibility), that would make Inaudible [48] (comparable to Silence 10) and Unsmellable [12]. I'd be comfortable with those costs (perhaps rounded to nearest 5).
munin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
gjc8

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
Obscure treats all senses as worth the same, but I think a method to consider for determining the fair value of Invisibility applied to other senses would be the ratio between disadvantages which remove senses: Blindness [-50], Deafness [-20], and No Sense of Smell/Taste [-5]. With Affects Machines and Extra-Heavy Encumbrance ([120] for Invisibility), that would make Inaudible [48] (comparable to Silence 10) and Unsmellable [12]. I'd be comfortable with those costs (perhaps rounded to nearest 5).
I'm not sure that really works. No Sense of Smell/Taste is a small disadvantage because humans don't have a very useful sense of smell anyway. Being Unsmellable by humans is less of an advantage than being Unsmellable by dogs.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #16
munin

But averaged over all genres, is Unsmellable really worth more than about 10 points? Is Inaudible really worth much more than Silence 10? I like the result.
munin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #17
lexington

I wonder if not being smellable is included in Sealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
But averaged over all genres, is Unsmellable really worth more than about 10 points? Is Inaudible really worth much more than Silence 10? I like the result.
You're probably not going to take the advantage at all outside of setting where it has some real value.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #18
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
I wonder if not being smellable is included in Sealed.
Sealed keeps people from smelling what's inside the seal, but if your breath is not collected, it and the cologne would be on the outside. And the sealing substance itself might have some new car smell depending on how it is achieved.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #19
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Occultation is like Invisibility except that it's more potent. The Invisible can't be seen, that which has been Occulted can't be noticed or sensed. I could smell an invisible person's cologne (or is they're a slob, their BO), but an occulted person could wear a gallon of scent, and still go undetected. The feet of an invisible person would still make noise, and occulted person could bang symbols and go undected.

So how to modle this in GURPS, both as a wizard's power and as a way to hide a wizard's stronghold. The hidden hotel in The Shadow is a good example of Occultation through Psi.
How do you want physical contact or collision to be handled? Does the Occulted subject's location appear to be empty air, or is there an illusion of prevailing material in it's place (i.e. instead of a mysterious clearing in the woods with bare, untracked earth and a lack of pollen or insects, does there appear to be just one more patch of woods like the rest) ?

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #20
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Is it meant to be the ability to influence other people's minds so they don't notice you (the classic Somebody Else's Problem effect), not good on mechanical sensors?

Control of information flow to both living beings and mechanical sensors?

Control of sense-data in a phenomenalist world where sense-data are independent entities?

"Objective" physical absence of detectable traits?

Probability-based ability to slip through the cracks in surveillance?

Movement through some other dimension that can see ours but not be seen by it?

Some inexplicable application of Cosmic omnipotence to forbid being noticed?

In a weird way, this seems almost like Immunity to Perception, which would have to cost a lot, and probably take some sort of Cosmic enhancement. Especially if you also didn't have mirror images, shadows, echoes, footsteps, and so on.

Bill Stoddard
Immunity to Perception sounds the most like what I'm after. Occultation is supposed to be much more powerful than Invisiblity.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm explanation