Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 11: Power-Ups

On our foes unleash
Song, storm, and magical bolt
Power of all kinds
— Some hack
New on e23 this week is GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 11: Power-Ups, by the same hack who wrote that bad haiku. It's a sequel to GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 3: The Next Level – that is, the third major characters handbook for the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy series. It brings you more stuff on which to spend your hard-earned points, satisfying your munchkin urge to create totally unbalanced powers, techniques, and spells by presenting a whole pile of abilities that are balanced enough that your GM will allow them . . . probably (void where prohibited by GM fiat, some conditions may apply, do not eat, etc.).

Ever felt disappointed that your barbarian couldn't cleave through whole lines of baddies, or that your zippy martial artist was limited to plodding steps when attacking? Found newfangled professions like the elementalist and the necromancer hard to distinguish from the core archetypes? Longed for bards who had a reason to sing, not swing a sword, in battle? Puzzled over the lack of a Detect Evil spell? Railed against the "no teleportation" restriction for wizards, or the "can't alter magic items" limitation on artificers? Secretly desired to grow your minotaur's horns really long?

Not any more. Well, unless you decide not to pay the 32-page price ($7.99) for 45 pages of gaming goodness. Which wouldn't be very munchkinly, now, would it?
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
lexington

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 11: Power-Ups

Oooh, shiny!
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Stone Dog

I... I can't. I shouldn't. I... am getting my wallet.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Ever felt disappointed that your barbarian couldn't cleave through whole lines of baddies, or that your zippy martial artist was limited to plodding steps when attacking? Found newfangled professions like the elementalist and the necromancer hard to distinguish from the core archetypes? Longed for bards who had a reason to sing, not swing a sword, in battle? Puzzled over the lack of a Detect Evil spell? Railed against the "no teleportation" restriction for wizards, or the "can't alter magic items" limitation on artificers? Secretly desired to grow your minotaur's horns really long?

Not any more. Well, unless you decide not to pay the 32-page price ($7.99) for 45 pages of gaming goodness. Which wouldn't be very munchkinly, now, would it?
Wonderful book. Only two things in it disappoint me: There's no mention of the Justicar, who didn't get it's Power Up in Pyramid #3/10 (I included powerups for the Mystic Knight so it's less needed) and that you've squashed the possibility of a Pyramid Article I was considering, about using Power Up 2: perks in Dungeon Fantasy ;)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post

There's no mention of the Justicar, who didn't get it's Power Up in Pyramid #3/10 (I included powerups for the Mystic Knight so it's less needed)
Well, I decided that it would be best to stick to professions in the actual DF series. I like my justiciar – it's a bit like the sorts of PCs I play in fantasy games – but I didn't want to have to include the full article for people who buy DF but not Pyramid. To be fair, though, Justiciar Power-Ups appears on p. 5 of Pyramid #3/10, right after the customization notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post

and that you've squashed the possibility of a Pyramid Article I was considering, about using Power Up 2: perks in Dungeon Fantasy ;)
Heh, as a consolation prize, you could always propose to dress up the justiciar and mystic knight with a few more power-ups and notes to create a two-template supplement a bit like Sages. Call it Beyond the Knight or something. :) I'm not sure how Steven would receive it, but it could be worth a go, and get these two archetypes "official" status.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Well, I decided that it would be best to stick to professions in the actual DF series. I like my justiciar – it's a bit like the sorts of PCs I play in fantasy games – but I didn't want to have to include the full article for people who buy DF but not Pyramid. To be fair, though, Justiciar Power-Ups appears on p. 5 of Pyramid #3/10, right after the customization notes.
True, it's lacking the changing professions options, not the Power Up.
Quote:
Heh, as a consolation prize, you could always propose to dress up the justiciar and mystic knight with a few more power-ups and notes to create a two-template supplement a bit like Sages. Call it Beyond the Knight or something. :) I'm not sure how Steven would receive it, but it could be worth a go, and get these two archetypes "official" status.
Well well, it would be my first true supplement! I had planed to write some more Pyramid articles before going for an full supplement, getting my writing skills skills and my confidence up to par, but your kind comments make fill me with hope on becoming a full GURPS writer (it has been a dream of mine).

An I to assume that DF12: Ninjas will have full Power Ups on par with those presented in this book? I was a little miffed with Sages and Summoners because they did not include Power Ups, and Summers didn't even include lenses, for other professions, not even in the abridged form I used in The Mystic Knight article (as I'm referring to the article, and not to the template, the style guide says that I have to use caps on every word ;) ).
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Secretly desired to grow your minotaur's horns really long?
Dangit, now Bruno is going to bother me to buy this thing so her latest version of Mrugnak can officially have really long horns.

Good thing I have a job.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Stone Dog

Holy crap, I want to play an Innkeeper. I mean... I did before, but they have some good stuff.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Dangit, now Bruno is going to bother me to buy this thing so her latest version of Mrugnak can officially have really long horns.
Lol. And beware with things as Cleaving Strike! (p. 10)

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Gurps Fan

Kawazaru o enai. (I'm compelled to buy it.)
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, kromm explanation