Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #21
Daeglan

Default Re: Questions about switching from 3rd edition to 4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoboy View Post
To be honest, vehicles are pretty easy to fudge in GURPS 4E. They're just a list of stats, and there are enough examples available that you can just ballpark what a given vehicle may be. At one point, I created a little spreadsheet of generic vehicles for a modern fantasy setting I made. It has things like large SUV and coupe. I listed the stats for used versions, too. It was pretty easy to put together. If you want it, just PM me your email address.
I would love it.

Thanks in advance :0

Last edited by Daeglan; 08-10-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeglan View Post
I would love it.

[...]redacted[/email]

Thanks in advance :0
Generally it's better to send a private message with your email to the person directly, that way spambots don't email you after finding your address on a google search.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #23
Nosforontu

A couple quick things that have also changed in between editions.
1: A flat cost to attributes instead of the cost scaling as they got higher. This takes out a huge amount of the munchkinery of race packets in 3rd edition a big improvement as far as I am concerned.
2: Talent groups a relatively cheap way to get a bonus to a subset of skills the more expansive the larger the group the more expensive the talent group. Its a way of getting those high skill levels needed for a character concept without also having to have a base attribute that stretches belief.
3: Enhancements and limitations are now core to the game rather than being an add on in supers. The flexibility that this brings to the design process is huge and has meant that the list of new advantages or disadvantages even in a book like Powers is at best minimal at best.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #24
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Overall, I'm loving the changes.
Offhand, I can't think of any change that I dislike, in terms of direction (e.g. I approve of the two attributes costing more, but I think they should have been made even more expensive than they were, and the precedent set for Talents is extremely unfortunate).

There is no good reason to stick with GURPS 3rd Edition. Either switch to 4th, switch to an entirely different system, or build your own system from scratch. 3E has no redeeming virtues.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #25
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
There is no good reason to stick with GURPS 3rd Edition. Either switch to 4th, switch to an entirely different system, or build your own system from scratch. 3E has no redeeming virtues.
I wouldn't say that, 3e was a good playable system which is now overshadowed by the much superior 4e.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #26
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
I can think of one very easily: without 3E it's very unlikely there would have been a 4E GURPS.

Also, if 4E hadn't been created ask yourself would you still be playing 3E? In my case its very likely I would.
Easy to answer: No I wouldn't. I examined 3E thoroughly, about a decade ago, and came to the conclusion that it was completely unplayable.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #27
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
I wouldn't say that, 3e was a good playable system which is now overshadowed by the much superior 4e.
3e was fine for fantasy, OK for mundane modern, not very good for space (but it helped that there was a lack of competition) and terrible for supers. 4e is excellent for mundane modern, fine for fantasy and supers, and as good as science fiction gaming gets.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #28
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith
I can think of one very easily: without 3E it's very unlikely there would have been a 4E GURPS.

Also, if 4E hadn't been created ask yourself would you still be playing 3E?
Yes I would... but, if there had not been 3E, would 4E have not been 3E :?

heh
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #29
Daeglan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Generally it's better to send a private message with your email to the person directly, that way spambots don't email you after finding your address on a google search.
I clicked the PM button... apparently it did a reply instead.
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #30
Ejidoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Easy to answer: No I wouldn't. I examined 3E thoroughly, about a decade ago, and came to the conclusion that it was completely unplayable.
Indeed. GURPS 3e so disappointed me when I picked it up long ago. It was my second RPG after AD&D 2e. And I found it completely unplayable. I think I had four or five aborted attempts to start a game that either died in chargen or first session, then shelved it.
I only picked up GURPS 4e after much hesitation, seeing the pretty-looking Basic Set on the shelves of my local gaming store for months while waffling over whether I wanted to spend the money (I don't have a big budget) on something that might not be any better than 3e. Eventually, by sheer force of repeated exposure to the books sitting there looking all bright and professional, I gave in a bought them.

My current favorite RPG list is GURPS 4e, Ars Magica 5e, Exalted, and (new) World of Darkness, with both of the White Wolf products ranking really low on the list due to their typical problem of 'fun concept, fun story, rules need work'. Ars Magica works well, but I have a whole book's worth of house rules I printed out to make it do what I wanted. GURPS... I've got maybe three pages of house rules, half of which is just extra components for Spaceships... and the system works great without needing too much tinkering. Or perhaps I should say the tinkering's built in, between all the setting options and the whole enhancement/limitation thing for advantages and such.

So... kinda went off on a tangent. Basically, GURPS 4e is like 3e only better in every possible way I've encountered, save that 3e has a bunch more setting books. But then, those are largely 4e-compatible, so... yeah. 4e wins. :P
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm explanation