Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Lameth

Default The make up of a "spell" in your game

In the past, for 25 years, most times my "spells" in my games are a matter of the concept of incantations, tools and components. Magical Words where the core of it. That is how they would be written up in grimoires in the game world. So basically a spell was knowing what they spell did and then "speak these words" to invoke it. The words themselves where empowered, akin to the "charm of making" in Excalibur. Therefore it was easy to describe what a spell looked like in a book written out, or described by a teacher to his student.

Now I am running a new type of game [modern urban fantasy with open magic], and trying a new magic system out for the first time, RPM.

I am wondering what does a spell look like then when it is not the "magical words", but its the knowledge of the universe of magic and how to shape those energies into what you wish? When arcane words are only used to enhance the magic or help the mage shape it [like Dresden], how would a spell be "written up" in a grimoire to be learned?

Is it basically described as a collection of concepts and theories on the spell scribed into a book or scroll, mixed in with do's and don'ts from the previous owner? So paraphrased as "here is the spell of Charm. When this spell is crafted think of this....within keeping in mind these metaphysics....use these tools and components....it is better to invoke in these tongues....and the various uses of the spell are X and X"?

such as :
https://www.google.com/search?q=spel...=1536876272316

https://www.google.com/search?biw=19...=1536876400909

Thoughts?

Last edited by Lameth; 09-13-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: The make up of a "spell" in your game

With RPM, I would describe them like math, but like quantum physics level.

Any grimoire found will have spells in them that are generalized and yet specific. For example, a grimoire my pc had in one game I was a part of had 3 fire spells in it. Combustion, Firestorm, Lingering Flame, for in game each would be described by the effects to be achieved and how to go about it. shapes to have on the mind, patterns to remember, timing, etc.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
Extrarius

Default Re: The make up of a "spell" in your game

Along the lines of describing them like math, I might even make spells be reciting (verbally or mentally, in a modern language or ancient tongue, depending on flavor) the "proof" of a spell. In a sense, you're demanding that the universe operates in unusual ways that you know it can.

If you go that route, the idea of "shorter proofs" (faster casting) is an obvious extension and explains one thing academic mages are studying and searching to find. Then there is also the "stronger proof", which builds the same construct from a smaller foundation and are thus less taxing to cast. The ultimate discovery, "generic proofs" would be constructs that build up a general foundation and then can easily prove many different (but similar) things from there - a more versatile spell that allows more tweaking while casting.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote