Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #31
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Re: [DF] What DF titles would you like to see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
I'd like to see Adventures, especially Adventure Paths (little Campaigns) rather than just single missions without any connection.
Sadly, even The Other Game doesn't do adventures all that much. They're just not profitable. They're generally purchased only by GMs (and a few collectors, like myself), and then only GMs that aren't doing their own campaigns. :-(
Old 09-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #32
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
I'd like to see Adventures, especially Adventure Paths (little Campaigns) rather than just single missions without any connection.
For the love of Cthulhu, no. If there are more adventures, they should be drop-in location-based adventures. All those Pathfinder-style railroads drive me nuts. "Plot" is a four-letter word that RPG adventure design should shun.

As a goal, GM aides should allow for rapid adventure design, to twist a phrase from the software world. I want to make my own adventures, and I want products that let me do so without extra fuss. If we're talking about urban adventures, a popular suggestion, I want a stat block for a guard or quick rules for fighting from rooftops or what chasing through a crowd does, since those are all edge cases that I'm not likely to write beforehand. Monsters and traps and curses and very common situations should be the goal.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #33
Greg 1

Others have said it first, but I'd like a book of brief write-ups for the most common and familiar sorts of dungeon monsters - overgrown animals of all sizes, humanoids of various sizes, and creatures from classical and world mythology.

I can then use these as templates from which to produce more exotic creatures.
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #34
b-dog

What about something like DF Dungeon Rooms? It would be a cool room with an interesting monster, tricks, traps and treasure. You could put this room in a dungeon when you don't have any other idea.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #35
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
What about something like DF Dungeon Rooms? It would be a cool room with an interesting monster, tricks, traps and treasure. You could put this room in a dungeon when you don't have any other idea.
While handy, this wouldn't be GURPS-specific. In fact, were I to write something like this, I'd keep it generic with vague references to B/X D&D to give the reader a base for power level, then put it up on RPGNow without going through the long process of having SJGames review and slap its logo on it.

My GURPS blog.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #36
Greg 1

I just realized what I want most of all. It is something fans could put together if necessary.

I want an Index of monsters from all books, listed four different ways: By name, challenge rating, type, and terrain.

The list of monsters on the GURPS Wiki is golden, but a document like that would be even more useful.
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #37
Phantasm

Palladium has an interesting way to handle adventures. In addition to the occasional full-blown adventure, they had what they called "Hook, Line, and Sinker Adventures", which were basically bare-bones adventure seeds, with the Sinker usually being a twist. For example:

Hook: The PCs while exploring a dungeon come across a statue of an Elf warrior. It soon becomes clear that the statue is really an Elf who was turned to stone ages ago by some form of magic.
Line: The Gorgon/Medusa/Cockatrice/Basilisk/whatever that turned the Elf to stone is still around and has its sights set on the party.
Sinker: The Elf was no innocent, and this was deemed a suitable punishment by his/her peers. Should the party free the Elf, they've just unleashed a terrible evil into the dungeon, and maybe the world above!

A similar system for GURPS dungeon-crawls could be handy. Stats could be provided if need be, but IMO page refs to DF supplements would be more appropriate.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #38
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
The list of monsters on the GURPS Wiki is golden, but a document like that would be even more useful.
We're slowly building up the lists of official crunchy bits. Folks without umlauts in their name can help out too, if speed matters.

My GURPS blog.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #39
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
While handy, this wouldn't be GURPS-specific. In fact, were I to write something like this, I'd keep it generic with vague references to B/X D&D to give the reader a base for power level, then put it up on RPGNow without going through the long process of having SJGames review and slap its logo on it.
I would prefer this to have GURPS stats because then the encounter would be balanced for GURPS DF PCs. Plus you could use the encounters as examples and also instantly port them into a game if you needm
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #40
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I would prefer this to have GURPS stats because then the encounter would be balanced for GURPS DF PCs. Plus you could use the encounters as examples and also instantly port them into a game if you needm
Three notes here:
  1. Balance isn't desired by everyone.
  2. This won't sell enough if pitched as a GURPS product, and going through the SJGames submission process is long. As a mostly systemless one, however, it would.
  3. That said, if you want a GURPS version of this, feel free to write it.

My GURPS blog.