Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
ishinken

Default Epic Clerics

6. When you are playing with epic rules and are to draw two doors, does a cleric get to draw TWO cards from the discard pile (and then discard 2 cards from hand) ? And can he take one card from the discard then only draw one door later?

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 07-18-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Epic Clerics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishinken View Post
6. When you are playing with epic rules and are to draw two doors, does a cleric get to draw TWO cards from the discard pile (and then discard 2 cards from hand) ? And can he take one card from the discard then only draw one door later?
I'm going to punt to others on this one. I'm inclined to say "the Cleric can only resurrect one card at a time and the other must come from the deck," but that is unofficial for now.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 07-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
ishinken

thanks alot man for all the answers. sorry for posting everything in the same post though wont happen again
Old 07-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
jaholen

the Cleruc card says:

"when it is time for you to draw a card face-up, you may instead take the top card from the appropriate discard pile. You must then discard one card from your hand."

so I'd say take two card from te discard pile and then discard two cards from your hand
Old 07-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
StaticHamster

It's like resurrecting multiple treasure cards from the discard pile when you get help from someone....

If you have 4 four treasures and got help you can discard 4 cards to take them from the discards in succession.

The Epic doors is no different.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticHamster View Post
If you have 4 four treasures and got help you can discard 4 cards to take them from the discards in succession.
I don't recall ever seeing a ruling that this is allowed, either. This is why I've asked certain key people ("KEY people!") for their opinions, to clear both of these issues up.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
homi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaholen View Post
"when it is time for you to draw a card face-up, you may instead take the top card from the appropriate discard pile. You must then discard one card from your hand."
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticHamster View Post
Not that I'm a KEY person but.. based on what the card says, it implies you're supposed to do this one at a time. Like if you get 4 treasures from an assisted kill then technically you get 4 instances of a "time for you to draw a card face-up". But then you'd have to treat this as 4 separate transactions, which is kind of pointless after the first one since the card you discarded in the first place is now on the top.

So likewise with epic clerics opening the door, I'd say they could resurrect each door one at a time. Which ultimately means they resurrect one door card and play another door from their hand as the second.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:59 AM   #8
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by homi View Post
But then you'd have to treat this as 4 separate transactions, which is kind of pointless after the first one since the card you discarded in the first place is now on the top.
Aye, there's the rub. Should the discard go immediately to the pile in the case of a multiple face-up draw?

It does seem very silly and pointless to be able to resurrect the card you just discarded...but I think there's a decent argument to be made that multi-card draws should be considered simultaneous. Thus, multi-card resurrections would also be simultaneous, and hence we could have the mechanism of (a) take the number of resurrected cards off the pile, (b) pay for them with discards, (c) put the discards on the pile, and then (d) take the resurrected cards into your hand. For a single card, that works just the same as it currently does, and it takes any silliness out of the multi-card case.

I don't consider that a bad resolution. What I do have reservations about, though, is any mechanism where a player gets to "react" to a partial draw by switching gears into resurrecting. That just seems like asking for trouble.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I've said several times that we're discussing it internally and will get you an official answer. Thread closed.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
ishinken

everyone I play with has the impression that you can do this ability each time you draw a face up card. It is very loosely described and following the card only it is pretty clear from my perspective that you can do it for each time (including in a row) you draw a face up card.

Maby a bit of a mistake not to be harder on stating that it could not be done?

And in this epic case again when a cleric is about to draw two doors, wether he can do it ONCE or twice or whatever, what happends to the door step then? It vanishes or he only draws one door?
Closed Thread

Tags
rules