Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
Dammann

Default [DF] What DF titles would you like to see?

By my count, in Kromm's GURPS thread from his LJ, there are three further Dungeon Fantasy titles in the works. What do you hope to see released from this line in the future?

For my part, I hope there will be some sort of urban adventures guide, a kingdom/stronghold building supplement, and more from the Dungeon Fantasy Monsters series. I also hope to see some more adventures, since Mirror of the Fire Demon set such a good precedent. I guess I'd rank them 1. Urban Adventures, 2. Monsters, 3. Adventures, and 4. Strongholds.

I know that wishing isn't binding on SJG, this is just meant to be a fun little exercise in anticipation and day dreaming. At most maybe it would give one of the writers a bit of inspiration or encouragement to write something they were on the fence about.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
Donny Brook

Default Re: [DF] What DF titles would you like to see?

Wow, did I ever misread the heading of this thread! My answer was going to be Xena.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Dungeon Fantasy Monsters III: Monsters That Will Be Used Almost Constantly by Almost Everyone in Almost Every Game

Working title.

It's a book of fantasy monster staples. May have orcs, but those had to be in Mirror of the Fire Demon, so dunno 'bout them.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Dungeon Fantasy Monsters III: Monsters That Will Be Used Almost Constantly by Almost Everyone in Almost Every Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
2. Classic monsters for DF :) like gnolls, hags, vampires, wefewolves, ghouls. Standard common monsters. Not "new monsters" - monsters known to each fantasy player :) Unicorns, pegases, roks, golem varieties... DRAGONS ;) Hydras... Made especially for DF games. Monsters to create reeeaaaally epic fights :) and not simply stats like "If that monster exist, would be have stats like this".
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post
+1

I second strongly this. We need medusas, golems, hobglobins, trolls and big dragons in a single volume!
I would much enjoy something of this nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
DF: Maps -- Here's some cool places to drop into your next dungeon delve.
Maps/locations being the single hardest thing for me to make, I would probably get the most use out of something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeette View Post
Maybe not strictly part of the line, but a GURPS Lite: DF would be of interest.
I would be most likely to write this out of all proposed supplements, and assuming it was free like other GURPS Lite stuff I would be most likely to download and use it out of all available product.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
As I'm sure everybody knows by now, what we publish for GURPS – including GURPS Dungeon Fantasy – is what's proposed by known, reliable, interested freelancers such as Peter Dell'Orto, Phil Masters, and Matt Riggsby, plus whatever PK and I have time to write on the occasions when we're not being editors.
I think the hope is that something someone mentions will spark an interest in those whom do the writing.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
Rasputin

I'll echo a few here:
  • GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Urban Adventures. Not only is this obvious, but there is a dearth of good urban adventuring supplements for any system next to those for dungeon and wilderness adventuring. Are there some? Sure there are, but even D&D has neglected this, with TSR/Wizards punting on the matter until about a decade ago. Also, the Denizens titles for Bards and Thieves must come after this supplement, not before, as it defines their best adventuring environment.
  • GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters. I've been pumping making a supplement with the classics for years. Make a list of 40 drawn from medieval legend and public domain fantasy (Wells, Baum, Lovecraft), split it in half, make two supplements with 10 extra monsters of the designers' choosing, taking care to make sure there is at least one of every monster class in each (you can skip Slime, since there is a supplement for them already). Not only does this get a handy reference for the classics, but making at least one of each class gives GMs examples for making other akin monsters. Add a few more prefixes and other fast ways to change a monster.
  • GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Foes. There are a number of common foe kinds in the back of the current Monster Manual: Bandits, Berserkers, Cultists, Knights, Mages, and so on. Have a bunch of them, with short loadouts to handle their gear fast, and let us slap on racial templates to make foes fast.
Others:

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Traps. I'd like this, but Ghostdancer's Pyramid article takes the immediate need out of it. If someone were to do this, it would have to be a full supplement with drawings of basic traps. Grimtooth's Traps (which in GURPS would be Sprugtooth's Traps) is of little use in my book. Who actually uses the traps in Grimtooth's Traps? Everyone I know giggles at them, but never uses them as they're too "screw you, players!" They make the Tomb of Horrors seem normal.
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: High Seas. No. Bad idea. It could be a Pyramid article—there is one already, in fact. But as a full supplement? You're better off doing an Action-like Pirates line. Far too much ink has been spilled about putting dungeon delvers on the high seas relative to how much actual adventuring they do on the high seas. I've never seen a game wherein being on the ship isn't just a way to move from one adventuring spot to another, with maybe one fight to break up the boredom.
GURPS Magic: Plant Spells. Yes, this is a supplement that is already out, but it's really good, and it turns a smaller GURPS Magic college into a powerhouse. There could be ones for other colleges, and they wouldn't be DF-specific either.

My GURPS blog.

Last edited by Rasputin; 09-19-2015 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Expanded the last sentence.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:36 AM   #7
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by geranimo1993 View Post
and for me except Xena, also like Barbarian, Clerics, Ninja, Psi, Summoners
On that subject, I'd still rather have it be a monster book. Humans just don't do it for me. ;)
Old 09-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
OldSam

I'd like to see Adventures, especially Adventure Paths (little Campaigns) rather than just single missions without any connection.

Also in the future I'd prefer to see cheaper bundles of the existing stuff, making it much more attractive for new players to choose DF, instead of: "OMG, I need to buy 15+ single DF Volumes in addition to the Basic Set..." ;)
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #9
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I'm a fan of pillaging The Other Game for ideas, so anything that lets me take the flavor (without the limiting mechanics) of something from T.O.G. and bring it into GURPS, I'm gleefully going to buy it.

I'm also a fan of taking DF, and adding stuff that fleshes it out (e.g., Combat Styles, Magical Styles, Social Styles). Moving it along the scale from "hack 'n' slash" towards "role playing."
Old 09-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #10
Astromancer

It occurs to me that a collection of the Pyramid articles on topic would make a good book. And a useful one. It would also benefit the company and the various authors by getting a extra pay-day out of already edited material, while players would get concentrated goodness in an easy to reference format.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 09-25-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote