Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-20-2016, 04:17 AM   #1
Minuteman37

Default [AtE] Custom Weapons List

Ok SJGames, I'm putting together a custom weapons list for a possible AtE game I'd be GMing. The intent of this list is to present the most common (relatively speaking) modern weapons in a given class and genericize them in a similar way to how the Action series did.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

As you can see I've done my best to consolidate the firearm and ammunition catalog down to a small, manageable list. not limited to but including prioritization of weapons that share commonly found ammo types. Desert Eagles are cool, but too rare to be practical. That being said I'd like to include some revolvers in this list, but don't to include ammunition types that can only be used for one gun.

I'm not entirely sure what to do, but I do recall fallout New Vagus having revolvers and lever-Action Carbines share ammunition. Is there any truth to this?
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default Re: [AtE] Custom Weapons List

.357 magnum / .38 special is an option for some modern lever-action rifles and is very popular as a revolver calibre. I can't find any GURPS stats for a rifle using it, but it should be simple enough to extrapolate.

.44-40 Winchester was the traditional dual-gun round and there are probably still plenty of weapons built for it and a reasonable supply of ammunition available. High-Tech has examples of both pistols (Colt SAA, p. 95, S&W Hand Ejector, p. 96) and rifles (Winchester Model 1873, p. 110) using it.

.22 Long Rifle can be fired from revolvers, automatic pistols and a wide range of rifles.

There are also a few revolvers which can use 9 mm or .45 ACP rounds.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
.44-40 Winchester was the traditional dual-gun round and there are probably still plenty of weapons built for it and a reasonable supply of ammunition available. High-Tech has examples of both pistols (Colt SAA, p. 95, S&W Hand Ejector, p. 96) and rifles (Winchester Model 1873, p. 110) using it.
In a post-apocalypse world, the relative ease of making black powder compared to modern smokeless propellant means that reloading .44-40 Winchester and similar rounds is an entirely feasible thing to do for a small survivalist enclave or even well-equipped adventuring party.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
phayman53

If you want to keep things simple on the number of cartridges and include revolvers, there are actually revolvers that use automatic pistol calibers. One such revolver is the M1917 which was chambered in .45 ACP. The M1917 was used in both world wars (I think my grandfather carried it as a Marine in WW2) and was used to keep rounds consistent for supply purposes. There are also 9mm revolvers.

The one thing to note about revolvers that use automatic pistol calibers when you stat them is that they pretty much always need to use moon clips (basically speed loaders) because the rims on automatic rounds are flush with the rest of the cartridge. This means the moon clip is needed to keep the cartridge at the correct depth in the cylinder because the rim on the cartridge will not do it.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
phayman53

Btw, High-Tech has stats for the S&W M1917 on pg. 96 under the "S&W .44 Hand Ejector, .44 Special" entry, including rules for its half-moon clips.

Last edited by phayman53; 07-20-2016 at 12:12 PM.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #6
Minuteman37

Quote:
.357 magnum / .38 special is an option for some modern lever-action rifles and is very popular as a revolver calibre. I can't find any GURPS stats for a rifle using it, but it should be simple enough to extrapolate.
Simple for someone who knows what their doing, but unfortunately I don't even know where to begin.

Quote:
.22 Long Rifle can be fired from revolvers, automatic pistols and a wide range of rifles.
Oh yea .22 LR is a very versatile round.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #7
Minuteman37

Oh something else that needs to be said is that this AtE is set much closer to the End then the book recommends.

The short of it is that there aren't going to be any new guns floating around becouse the supply of pre-End firearms is still relatively abundant.