Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 04-24-2019, 12:59 AM   #1261
Anthony

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

So the top 40 products are 30 munchkin products, three ogre, two zombie dice, super kitty bug slap, conspiracy theory, triplanetary, illuminati, and gurps basic. Of which, only munchkin, zombie dice, and GURPS appear to be ongoing, the rest are new releases. I guess none of that really surprises me, but sorta depressing.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:59 AM   #1262
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 . . . now up for preorder on BackerKit
Have I missed something? I can't find the survey as of this posting.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:10 AM   #1263
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Have I missed something? I can't find the survey as of this posting.
I think our coordination between the two events (report post, BackerKit live) may have been off by about 24 to 36 hours. Last I heard, Darryll was starting the smoke test yesterday and moving to the full release after that. I'll check with him.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:22 AM   #1264
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestigor View Post
I'm just glad Gurps is still in existence. Considering the work a Gurps book takes to make them at the quality we've been spoiled on, doesn't make them too viable for the "subscription environment" currently in hobby gaming.

I'm hoping Gurps can stay in (or grow from) a financial place that allows it to keep going.
GURPS Characters FTW!
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:23 AM   #1265
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
I think our coordination between the two events (report post, BackerKit live) may have been off by about 24 to 36 hours. Last I heard, Darryll was starting the smoke test yesterday and moving to the full release after that. I'll check with him.
Thanks very much.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #1266
Ulairi

Nothing really surprising in the report this year. I'm glad to see TFT doing so well and I think it will continue into the future doing well. I'm excited for the partnership with Frog God Games and for the upcoming KS projects. I'll be backing them and my group is enjoying playing the game.
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:46 AM   #1267
mstlaurent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
So the top 40 products are 30 munchkin products, three ogre, two zombie dice, super kitty bug slap, conspiracy theory, triplanetary, illuminati, and gurps basic. Of which, only munchkin, zombie dice, and GURPS appear to be ongoing, the rest are new releases. I guess none of that really surprises me, but sorta depressing.
I know. I always sigh a little when I look at their top products lists, since the Steve Jackson games I play are pretty much, "Everything except Munchkin." But, hey, if Munchkin keeps the lights on so that all of the other games can get published....
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #1268
TheAmishStig

That was a good read. I oof'd a bit when I saw Ogre 6th (the core box) drop off the list, and Triplanetary / Conspiracy Theory make the top half...but was happy to see Illuminati at 21st, especially with how late in the year it released.

I'm not oof-ing because I dislike any of those games (I own three and after getting to play it at Fnordcon kick myself for missing the fourth), but because I can make a guess at the size of print runs from the KS numbers. Admittedly, I'm curious how close the Playmats came to making the list, either individually or in aggregate. Those seem to be on fire right now.

Encouraging was that it sounds like the (fnord) Phil's been putting himself through has bore some fruit other than sleep deprivation and frayed nerves; the report makes it sound like the company's keel is steadier than this time last year.

It also makes it sound like the glut-powered bubble is fit to burst. I don't know how I feel about that; one one hand, the bubble bursting means it's going to be way more difficult for freelancers to find work and for aspiring designers' passion projects to become reality, which has brought me some really wonderful games the last few years...while on the other it'll be some much-needed relief for the professionals (not said to demean freelancers and the aspiring, but to draw the distinction between "This is what I do after work" and "This is what I do for work") whose livelihoods depend on making games, selling games, and keeping stock moving: publishers, distributors, and FLGS owners alike.

Since this is a text-based medium, you'll just have to imagine me raising a glass as I say: "To 2019 and beyond"!
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #1269
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
I'm glad to see TFT doing so well and I think it will continue into the future doing well.
I'm glad in that I expect it will be easy to crib TFT adventures for GURPS use.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #1270
bert

I guess that the only thing I can add after reading the report is that I am thankful that you guys are still in business. I have said it before: the level of transparency is unprecedented. Highly appreciated.

Keep up the good work guys!
bert is offline   Reply With Quote