Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #241
Tinman
 
Tinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York City
Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

I have a question about stacking spells (P.21-22):

If I have a buff that gives me a +2 to DX and I:
A) Have a buff that gives me +3 to knife skill. Q: Does it give me a +5 or only a +3?
B) Have a Fireball spell with a +3 to hit modifier built in. Q: Does it give me a +5 or only a +3?

Thx
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #242
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I have a question about stacking spells (P.21-22):

If I have a buff that gives me a +2 to DX and I:
A) Have a buff that gives me +3 to knife skill. Q: Does it give me a +5 or only a +3?
B) Have a Fireball spell with a +3 to hit modifier built in. Q: Does it give me a +5 or only a +3?

Thx
You get the highest bonus - this is clearly said in the section regarding stacking spells:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic, p. 22
2. Similar bonuses, results, etc. from different rituals are
never cumulative with each other, regardless of the spell effect
used. For example, getting +3 to rolls to resist disease from
Strengthen Protection and using Strengthen Transfiguration
to bestow Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+3) results in +3
against disease, not +6! The GM has the final say on how “similar”
two results are.
These two are obviously similiar (DX and DX-based) so I'd say no.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Monster Hunters Power Ups 1
Latest TFT Book: Tomb of the Wizard-King

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 04-26-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #243
nick_coffin
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

On page 15 in the Limited Spell box, it talks about trading spell drawbacks for reduced casting time. The specific mechanic is to convert drawbacks into limitations, and then reduce the effective number of effects by 1 per full 40% in limitations. So in effect you are adding the ability to add limitations to IM spells.

Is it implied you can go the other way? Add enhancements to the spell itself for increased casting time? Or would enhancements only apply to spell modifiers?
nick_coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #244
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_coffin View Post
On page 15 in the Limited Spell box, it talks about trading spell drawbacks for reduced casting time. The specific mechanic is to convert drawbacks into limitations, and then reduce the effective number of effects by 1 per full 40% in limitations. So in effect you are adding the ability to add limitations to IM spells.

Is it implied you can go the other way? Add enhancements to the spell itself for increased casting time? Or would enhancements only apply to spell modifiers?
Yes, but the GM must be careful with this. In particular, allowing enhancements that would be better as spell effects on inherent modifiers. You're probably say with things that change the contest for resisting the spell (e.g., adding Based on DX or HT), adding utility that you otherwise couldn't (e.g., Mobile to a non-damaging area spell), and so on.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Monster Hunters Power Ups 1
Latest TFT Book: Tomb of the Wizard-King

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #245
nick_coffin
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Yes, but the GM must be careful with this. In particular, allowing enhancements that would be better as spell effects on inherent modifiers. You're probably say with things that change the contest for resisting the spell (e.g., adding Based on DX or HT), adding utility that you otherwise couldn't (e.g., Mobile to a non-damaging area spell), and so on.
Would such an enhancement raise the time required for casting by 1 step per +40% rounding up? Again, mirroring a drawback?
nick_coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:56 PM   #246
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_coffin View Post
Would such an enhancement raise the time required for casting by 1 step per +40% rounding up? Again, mirroring a drawback?
Yes. Absolutely.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Monster Hunters Power Ups 1
Latest TFT Book: Tomb of the Wizard-King

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #247
nick_coffin
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

Just a note, none of the examples in the grimoire chapter use the "Cross-Time Range," "Informational Range," or "Affliction, Stun" ritual modifiers. Not a big deal unless you are writing a web app to create Incantations and want to test that you can create all the spells listed in the book, and use that to measure completion.

;-)
nick_coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #248
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_coffin View Post
Just a note, none of the examples in the grimoire chapter use the "Cross-Time Range," "Informational Range," or "Affliction, Stun" ritual modifiers. Not a big deal unless you are writing a web app to create Incantations and want to test that you can create all the spells listed in the book, and use that to measure completion.

;-)
That's fair. But I figured most of those were something gamers could suss out themselves.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Monster Hunters Power Ups 1
Latest TFT Book: Tomb of the Wizard-King

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #249
Anders
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

Looking through the Grimoire:

Shouldn't Censure use Destroy Protection rather than Control Protection?

Shouldn't Dispelling have a Strengthen Arcanum for the bonus to Dispelling?
__________________
“He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion... Nor is it enough that he should hear the opinions of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.”

Last edited by Anders; 06-12-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Anders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #250
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Shouldn't Censure use Destroy Protection rather than Control Protection?
It could. Control is using it to control the connection momentary and switch it elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Shouldn't Dispelling have a Strengthen Arcanum for the bonus to Dispelling?
No, Girded doesn't need an effect to be added and Destroy Arcanum is the effect for Bestows a Bonus.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Monster Hunters Power Ups 1
Latest TFT Book: Tomb of the Wizard-King

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.