Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

View Poll Results: DFRPG Future, as whished for by Forumites
1) Just make more. 37 22.56%
2) .pdf with POD support 43 26.22%
2a) Seperate line. 10 6.10%
2b) Integrate into the DF line 67 40.85%
2c) Finish whats available, and end further production of new material. 1 0.61%
3) Simply end all further production, and place resources in other projects. 6 3.66%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2018, 08:11 AM   #261
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: The Future of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
That part is good news, hope it continues, though I wonder why the increase?
I have no special knowledge of this, but I'm going to guess that the market is both growing, as well as more products going through Kickstarter and other forms of crowd-funding. The hard part about the market size for this segment of hobby games is sales data, and Kickstarter moves data from "gee I hope 1,000 hobby game stores, or a few companies, make announcements we can parse into market size" to "HEY EVERYONE! LOOK AT MY PROJECT!"
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #262
bert

If TRPG games grew 22% last year, is there any indication of how much the number of titles grew in the market? That could perhaps give an indication of the challenge publishers are facing today. Even when I visit my local friendly game store, I see a bunch of titles (in swedish!) that must sell in very small numbers. It feels like either you are one of the bug names, or you grab a vanishingly small portion of a very fragmented market.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #263
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
If TRPG games grew 22% last year, is there any indication of how much the number of titles grew in the market? That could perhaps give an indication of the challenge publishers are facing today. Even when I visit my local friendly game store, I see a bunch of titles (in swedish!) that must sell in very small numbers. It feels like either you are one of the bug names, or you grab a vanishingly small portion of a very fragmented market.
This is entirely accurate. At any given time, there seem to be dozens to hundreds of RPGs on Kickstarter, most of which are low-funding requirement and low funding achievement (including, regrettably, my most recent one, but not Hall of Judgment, which was my most successful KS to date).
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:50 AM   #264
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
That part is good news, hope it continues, though I wonder why the increase?
Anecdotally, D&D5e has been growing strongly the last 2-3 years, which would probably explain most of it.

If the market is $55m, and the average product is $40, that's 1.375m units. If 75% of them are WotC/D&D, that means only 300k units for the rest, scattered over an enormous field of medium and small publishers. Sell a measly 3k units, and you're at 1% of the entire non-Wizards RPG business.

I would be looking for a tenfold increase in overall non-D&D TTRPG sales before anyone noticed in the corporate world or pop culture. Which is around the scale of what has happened in hobby board games over the last decade, but not in RPGs.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #265
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post

I'll take my share of the blame: From 1995 to present (in fact, I really started in late 1994, so call it 24 years), I've worked on precisely one boxed set, and the Dungeon Fantasy RPG was it. I'm positive I made some bad calls on what should go in the box, especially how many books; on how thick box-sized books could get and still fit in the box; on how much content would fit in one box-sized book; and on the amount of work required to do the non-game-design parts, such as layout, art, and print-buying (all of which I've worked on zero times).
I'll stay out of commenting on the internal business (of which I know nothing) and try to keep my comments very general about external business.

From a customer perspective I remain very happy with the DFRPG. The state of actual GURPS rules is at an all time high (that's what 14 years of refinement does).

I hope that there is a very long tail for DFRPG that makes up for all the problems.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #266
David Johansen

Whereas I hope for a steady but strong growth climb but to each their own.

No, I don't think it's an unreasonable hope but I will agree it's an unreasonable marketplace.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #267
SolemnGolem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
his worry for the D&D type RPG (of which DFRPG) is close enough was that games like Gloomhaven gave the same feel or effect of them easier and potentially better. (He went on to advocate for different types of RPGs/games)
For what it's worth, I own Gloomhaven and cracked it out with my circle of friends. We spent Xmas day playing it and getting familiar with the rules.

My circle of friends, myself included, more or less summarized the experience as "fun, but we may as well just do a tabletop RPG instead".

I'm looting Gloomhaven for the maps, minis, and lore etc. for my GURPS sessions. The actual game, with its maddening mechanic about exhaustion, will likely not get much play again.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #268
GM Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
My circle of friends, myself included, more or less summarized the experience as "fun, but we may as well just do a tabletop RPG instead".
That was our impression of those sorts of games as well. The marginal additional effort to learn and run a traditional RPG like DFRPG vs. the RPG-like boardgames is far outweighed by the freedom traditional RPGs offer, at least as far as my group is concerned.

It's a shame DFRPG didn't achieve the retail penetration of the RPG-like boardgames.

But I'm remaining hopeful for the future...
Old 12-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #269
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Joe View Post
That was our impression of those sorts of games as well. The marginal additional effort to learn and run a traditional RPG like DFRPG vs. the RPG-like boardgames is far outweighed by the freedom traditional RPGs offer, at least as far as my group is concerned.
For my boardgame group that'll probably be a selling point: None of that "acting" nonsense.

Though I'm hoping Gloomhaven becomes the gateway drug into rpgs for them since my roleplaying group broke up a while ago.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:19 PM   #270
GM Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
For my boardgame group that'll probably be a selling point: None of that "acting" nonsense.

Though I'm hoping Gloomhaven becomes the gateway drug into rpgs for them since my roleplaying group broke up a while ago.
I hope it works out for you!

Tags
dfrpg