Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-20-2021, 01:09 AM   #1
oneofmanynameless

Default speed range table equation

can anyone tell me what the actual equation is for the speed/range table? I'm trying to create a spreadsheet that will auto-calculate the modifier for a given value. I know it involves logarithms but don't really know how to use them that well. I'm working in google docs.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:23 AM   #2
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: speed range table equation

You're not going to get a broadly usable equation because it rounds differently at different points.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:35 AM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Fundamentally, the SSR modifier is equal to six times the log of the measure divided by the zero point.

For distance, that's 6 * log(d / 2yd)

Use base 10 logs.

The positions in the tables are shifted to put the breakpoints at 'nice' numbers though
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
You're not going to get a broadly usable equation because it rounds differently at different points.
If you're committed to using the table as written rather than having the formula replace it, well...it could probably be done but it would involve some weird functions to force it to emulate the way the table is rounded.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:06 AM   #4
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

It isn't elegant, but here a google docs sheet which should do the job.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 04-20-2021, 06:29 AM   #5
Varyon

If you want to keep the current breakpoints, just treating it as linear between them works out just fine - in no small part because the current breakpoints largely are linear, it's just that the slopes keep increasing. What I mean by that is that from -2 to 0 (1, 1.5, 2) and +1 to +3 (3, 5, 7), it's linear (+0.5 per +1 and +2 per +1, respectively), and as there are only 6 unique values (everything else just repeats the same sequence with the decimal point shifted), this means there are only a few cases where you can't draw a straight line through 3 consecutive points (basically 0 to +1 and +3 to +4 are the odd ones out). So, SM +3.7 corresponds to 9.1 yards (7/10ths of the way between 7 and 10).

I'm not certain of an elegant way to have a spreadsheet do that for you, however.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:12 AM   #6
coronatiger

You can check out my Excel Character Sheet (link in signature) for a formula. In the current version (20.3), it's located on the Current Status sheet in cell BR18 (under header "Penalty"). The formula isn't pretty, and could probably be simplified, at least a little, but it does the trick. It includes "to hit" penalty for the size of the target at the end of the formula, but you can easily remove that part, if you don't want it.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

So if you don't mind the slightly off rounding, there is always the equation:

Code:
=Round(Log(D7,10)*6-2,0)

replace D7 with what you need.

the rounding really isn't that bad, its just not exact. for most purposes, this will give you what you need.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
RyanW

If you needed a spreadsheet formula, you could duplicate the SSR table to infinity in both directions with a simple lookup.

=vlookup('size'/int(log('size',10)),'table',2)+6*int(log('size',10 ))

Where 'size' points to the size in yards and 'table' points to a table of SM from -2 (1 yard) to 3 (7 yards). That treats SM+1 as staring just beyond 2 yards, rather than rounding to the closest SM, which GURPS is sometimes inconsistent about (21 yards is -7 for range, but 2.1 yards is a tallish SM+0 human). It also doesn't account for the small differences introduced by the canon chart switching to inches at the small end.

Edit to add: if you want to get really fancy, you could add a drop down selector to pick inches (an additional -11 to SM), feet (-3), or miles (+17 or +18 depending on how you want to round).

Last edited by RyanW; 04-20-2021 at 10:48 AM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #9
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
That treats SM+1 as staring just beyond 2 yards, rather than rounding to the closest SM, which GURPS is sometimes inconsistent about (21 yards is -7 for range, but 2.1 yards is a tallish SM+0 human).
This is the only place it's inconsistent that way, and seems to be a consequence of the principle that 'a human character's build only has mechanical effects if you want it to'.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:55 AM   #10
whswhs

I don't think there's a neat way to do this with a spreadsheet, but if you want a fractional modifier, for a number that falls between L and U, you can take

(log X - log L)/(log U - log L)

or

log (X/L)/log (U/L)

and add it to the modifier for L.

So, for example, if X is 2.5, that falls between 2 and 3, so

log (2.5/2)/log (3/2) = log 1.25/log 1.5 = 0.10/0.18 = 0.55

and adding that to 0 (the modifier for 2) is 0.55.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote