Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #21
Tinman

Default Re: Favorite Character Build

So back in the day I used to play wizards or other spell casters.

Then in the not so distant past, I've been playing warrior types. Both low & high tech.

However, in my last campaign (it was DF) I played an Artificer. I enjoyed it so much that in the new campaign (Pulp-Era Action!) I'm playing a Gageteer.
I'm definitely into gadgeteering right now.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:27 PM   #22
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
I'm pretty sure you should use Reduced Time for that. Reflexive is for defenses that take a second to activate, senses that require a second of concentration, and anything the GM feels that serves a purpose similar to those things.

Reflexive shouldn't work on Modular points normally, but if it did it would allow the GM to modulate your points for you at times when it would be helpful but you don't think to do it, perhaps because it's not obvious that it would help.
Mostly useful with the bolded. Being able to switch over to, say, Karate when someone is attacking you is very useful, especially with Danger Sense.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #23
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Mostly useful with the bolded. Being able to switch over to, say, Karate when someone is attacking you is very useful, especially with Danger Sense.
I hadn't considered those scenarios. That's an interesting effect!
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #24
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
I hadn't considered those scenarios. That's an interesting effect!
Another interesting moment was with Immunity: Specific Poison. Since I had Danger Sense and the Poisons skill already, the GM rolled for both in secret, then had me switch it over while I was drinking something to protect me from it. I had to roll at default for Acting to cover up that I knew it was poisoned because the slot was taken up, but it worked out and twenty minutes later there was a very confused host.

Another thing is I generally play other races when possible but usually still 'human' ones such as nymph, elf, etc.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #25
WaterAndWindSpirit

Dark Flyer build.

Spear + Observation + Tactics + Riding + Animal Handling (Equines) + Ally (Familiar) + Magery + Luck + offensive spells + Immunity to Altitude Sickness + Cold Resistance + DR (Magic only).
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #26
bocephus

Back many moons ago I played what was essentially a plain old half ogre brawler. He was just big, strong and dumb and like various objects O bashing. I had made a random reaction table for him when ever he got surprised I would roll on it and the RP out what happened. Dropping everything and screaming like a little... big girl was one of my favorites. I think there were 10 or so things that were all relatively non helpful in a fight.

He got a gigantic fuzzy hat that cursed him with a delusion that he could speak other languages. He loved that hat, the party managed to separate them after he made some big nasty thing annoyed.

He was powerful enough to survive most of his own stupidity and was a treat to not need to really concentrate on much but his next meal and what he should hit really hard, or really harder.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #27
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I was just curious about people's favorite character build to play in GURPS?
Quite mixed. Looking through the list:
  • Japanese-American martial artist/private investigator.
  • Magic-using priest in Atlantis.
  • Spacegoing accountant.
  • Magically talented criminal turned MI5 officer.
  • Professional diplomat on Mars.
  • Muslim magician in Banestorm.
  • SAS medic in Reign of Steel.
  • Doctoral student in chemistry in 1960s psi setting.
  • Gurkha commando in Madness Dossier.
  • Dwarven bard in Torg.
  • Romany wise-woman in a 1930s horror campaign.
  • New York waterman in urban fantasy noir.
  • Monster-hunting witch in Florida!
I observe that I like playing characters with medical abilities, and rarely play pure warriors, but those are about the only common features.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:28 AM   #28
RogerBW

I have an idea, but I haven't yet been in a game where it would fit.

Snatcher is clearly set up to stop you getting rich off it: the Permanent enhancement is so expensive that you could buy lots of Wealth instead. Unique items and things that don't already exist in your own world are much harder. OK…

So the character is an assassin. "Why, yes, search me all you like, I have no weapons." Then they Snatch, say, "a .44M auto pistol", which fits in 5lb, and do the murdering. Then they "voluntarily return" it, and the pistol is gone as if it never existed. Ballistics? Who cares? (It's not explicit, but I assume that they couldn't easily get the same pistol back later even if they wanted to, which of course they don't.)

Stack it with Reliable for 4 points per +1; effective skill can't go above 13, but that's still >80%.

Then if there are points left, and for colour, get Imbuements: now I can use that generic pistol to bounce bullets off the walls, bypass armour, set fires…
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:50 PM   #29
AlexanderHowl

I imagine that having an Innate Attack that mimicked a pistol would be lesser expensive and simpler than Snatcher. For example, an attack that mimicked a Desert Eagle would be Large Piercing 4d (Accuracy 2, +10%; Increased Range x20, +40%; Rapid Fire 3, +50%; Extra Recoil, Recoil 4, -30%; Limited Use 3, Fast Reload, -10%) [39]. Of course, Snatcher would be able to do more than just attack, but It would be better to buy the Innate Attack if you just want someone who is capable of smuggling a pistol equivalent without detection.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:50 AM   #30
CeeDub

My favourite builds are characters with Telekinesis and lots of AAs:
  • Damage Resistance (Force Field)
  • Binding
  • Innate Attack (cr)
  • Flight
  • Enhanced Move (Air)
  • Affliction w/ Malediction
  • Innate Attack (pi/pi+/pi++)

Also (hedge) witches, for which oneofmanynameless' list will be extremely useful in the future.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote