Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Playing Munchkin when you're self-isolated

This is a VERY rough set of rules. If you have suggestions or other comments, we'd love to hear them!

1) Every player needs their own Munchkin game. Doesn't matter which one. (We recommend avoiding Apocalypse, which doesn't work well in this format, and Cthulhu and Crazy Cooks unless everyone is playing.) Everyone also needs a way to video chat with all the other players (Skype, Google Hangouts, etc.).

2) Whenever a card is played face up, either from your hand or drawn from a deck, show it on camera. (You would think it would be obvious, but...) If you have a fancy overhead camera, you can use that if you want.

3) Deals for Treasures as a result of combat are drawn from your own deck. If you help for two Treasures, the main player draws two fewer Treasures and you draw two from your deck. Remember to put them all on the camera!

4) You can still trade Items - just fake it as best you can. If you're playing the game decks, that makes it easier. Otherwise, write the key stats on index cards or something.

Can you improve on these rules? Let us know!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:37 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Playing Munchkin when you're self-isolated

I added some ideas for Munchkin solo rules over at munchkin.game -- check them out and let me know what you think!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #3
IskraTS11

Sounds good, I can't really play any longer with the colleague who initiated me to Munchkin, so it looks like I'll be able to keep playing.

... plus, playing solo will allow me to run into the parts of the rules I'm not too familiar with without me annoying other, more experienced players...
IskraTS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 01:27 PM   #4
acroyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I added some ideas for Munchkin solo rules[B]
Can't Win Without a Few Risks

I think I'm inclined to keep the 'Bad Stuff'. Losing a weapon, a headgear, or even 'Dead' (oh well - that's the end of the game, start over). Is what it is. Life isn't fun without risks. It isn't like shuffling the cards back and starting over is a chore. We lose in 52-card solitaire more often than winning...

The Wonderers

Set aside 5-10 monster cards and show them face up. On any fight after you are level 5*, roll 2 dice. On 2 or 12 (your choice), one of them is a random wonderer, chosen blindly (flip them over to pick one). Also if playing a game where an X can join another X (e.g., dragons, sharks), that one automatically joins in (thus, why they're face up - if more than one available, choose blindly). If desired, each time one is used, draw from its source deck to replace it.

* Why level 5? The King Crimson rule for us as a house rule: you don't start picking on fellow players until they're across level 5. No dangerous wandering monsters, no curses, no negative impacting a fight...but after 5, let loose. This is usually because each game often has a first-time player, so we don't want to scare them away too soon...

Variation: both numbers count. On a 2, the lowest-level monster joins the fight. On a 12, the highest-level joins.

Trader Joe's

Pick out a handful of treasure cards and show them face up. at the end of a turn, you can trade any treasures for ones from the store at equal or cheaper total value. it is a pawn shop - those items traded in stay there and you can potentially buy them back later. Every two turns, a new treasure card is drawn and added to the shop BUT it is AFTER you visited the shop, so you have to play another round to trade for it. Any "Go Up A Level" is actually worth $900, not $1000 (even those that say $1000), as a sale.

A variation is Joe needs his profit margin, so you have to trade at least $100 higher than the value of the cards...in which case, go-up-a-levels need to be $800, or else again, it is just $1000 for one level and that's equal to the rules.). He'll take a no-value treasure for that extra $100, because he likes you.

Another variation is Curse = Levels. Curses can be resold, so you can trade a curse for a go-up-a-level or $1000 card one-to-one IF there's one in stock. The curse is withdrawn (who would buy one back?) and a new card drawn for shelf on the next turn.

A Door card variation - he also keeps some door cards in stock and showing. You can trade 2 door cards for one of his on the shelf (when you trade, both of yours go back on sale), or 1 door card for $200 in treasures (but only one, he's doing you a favor here as it isn't strictly legal...)

What Dumb Luck

On any loot the room phase, roll a die. On 1, in addition to the door card, you can draw a treasure. The intent is to make up for other players helping you in your fights when you're on a low level, as it'll put more one-shots in play.

----

These might be good ideas for extensions. e.g. play the base game cards with, say, half the extension's for variety, then use other cards from extensions or promos for the wonderers and the store items.

Last edited by acroyear; 07-02-2023 at 02:39 PM.
acroyear is offline   Reply With Quote