Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
thedanster7000

Default Technical Grappling in Dungeon Fantasy

Is technical grappling effective for DF, and what cinematic options should be used to stay consistent with DF's theme?
Old 12-25-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Technical Grappling in Dungeon Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedanster7000 View Post
Is technical grappling effective for DF, and what cinematic options should be used to stay consistent with DF's theme?
So, there's nothing inherent to the DFRPG that makes Technical Grappling incompatible with it. If you're already using and liking it in regular play, then the usual barriers to use (unfamiliarity and the perception of complexity) don't apply.

Further Peter Dell'Orto has been using a simplified version of Technical Grappling to good effect in his years-long GURPS DF "Felltower" campaign.

So I'd say "have at it," but if there are ways to simplify it that you've found in play, I'd use 'em. If only to keep with the fast and furious idiom of the DFRPG.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
thedanster7000

Yeah I enjoy Felltower, it's what brought me round to getting DF. I recall options such as doubling CP for cinematic games and things like that, do you think they'd work well in DF, just because in my experience grappling can take a while and that doesn't really fit DF?
Old 12-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Yeah I enjoy Felltower, it's what brought me round to getting DF. I recall options such as doubling CP for cinematic games and things like that, do you think they'd work well in DF, just because in my experience grappling can take a while and that doesn't really fit DF?
I would try the doubling - use swing damage instead of thrust, and then when you get things that double CP rolled, doubling swing damage is the way to go.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
thedanster7000

I'll try that, I swear I've posted a fair few TG questions on here and every time you've put up a fully comprehensive answer in a matter of minutes, it's really helpful, so thanks a lot for that.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I'll try that, I swear I've posted a fair few TG questions on here and every time you've put up a fully comprehensive answer in a matter of minutes, it's really helpful, so thanks a lot for that.
Doug wrestles with such questions effortlessly.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Doug wrestles with such questions effortlessly.
Ba-dump-bump-CHING! [Rimshot] I see what you did there.

As a player in Felltower, I can say that Peter definitely uses Technical Grappling to good effect (I'm not sure if it's 100% pure as Doug wrote it or slightly modified). It works quite well. The last session in the Lost City involved grappling with Shambling Mounds. I think the Lost City Mowgli Battle was another good one with Five-Headed Panthers. Any Felltower session including Crushrooms had it.

There's quite a few monsters that are strong and grapple--they make for very interesting (and sometimes quite frightening) encounters. Mo has done a good job of busting out of various grapples in the past (of course he's ridiculously strong and has wrestling at at least DX+1 if not DX+2).
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
Rasputin

Something I've done is pre-calculated grappling as any other attack. For example:

Grapple (22): 7d control points. Reach C.
Tongue (17): Constriction Attack with the tongue (14d control points). Reach 1-10. After a successful Constriction Attack, the ibathene drags the hapless foe it to its mouth to eat; it drags with Move 5. The foe can break free if it wins the Quick Contest for the Constriction Attack. Roll each second until either the foe breaks free or the ibathene brings the foe to its mouth, at which time it bites its foe. Striking the tongue is at -4; it has HP 36 and DR 3.

are for the fabled ibathene. I just assumed that the foe is always SM 0, which is so often the case that the few cases that are not so are not worth the bother. Having it as an attack line reminds me that it's there.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:10 PM   #9
Skarg

The main obstacle that occurs to me is that it adds another level of unanswered detail questions (that DF already suffers from IMO) about how the monsters (especially multi-hex non-humans) actually work. Humans (and the same lion/horse/elephant diagram we have had since when, GURPS 1e?) have detailed facing diagrams and maneuvers based on their bodies and equipment, and Techinical Grappling has rules for humans grappling humans with various types of human clothing and equipment, but what modifiers, grappling options, and multi-hex reach issues would come up with all the various inhuman monsters?

Yes it's not going to be practical to publish details for all of them, but a nice set of examples of appropriate GM rulings for various types might go a long way, both for standard GURPS combat (more hex diagrams and various more detailed rules for fighting things with many arms & legs & hexes etc), and for Technical Grappling.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #10
dcarson

For niche protection I'd mainly let Martial Artist use it. Although the high strength things works for Barbarians also.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote